PDA

View Full Version : (Custom?) outboard equipment for Jet 1642

Dan Hintz
04-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Due to the last meet at Casa de Cruz, I'm the lucky owner of several 22" spalted/ambrosia Maple blanks that are in dire need of some spinnin'. The problem is, I only have a 16" throw... what to do, what to do...

Jet's outboard kit is one of those odd-looking tri-legged deals for around $450 shipped. I have seen posts as far back as 2005 discussing using the Vicmarc toolset and a few extra holes, but I only found one US supplier of the Vicmarc piece and it alone was $500 (up from $280 back in 2007!).

I didn't mind drilling/tapping a couple of holes in cast iron for the Vicmarc to work, but the cost is entirely too much now. I'm not a fan of the stand-alone tri-peds for roughly the same price. I once saw mention of a tri-ped stand from General (#2643), and while simplistic and cheap, it's still a stand-alone unit. Anyone else have suggestions for a low-work, relatively low-cost solution? Ideally one that attaches to the lathe for solidity?

mike caruso
04-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi Dan maybee you could modify this to work with the 1642 i have the same lathe and have been thinking of trying this ( busy bee tools ) 79.00 without tool rest190590

philip labre
04-07-2011, 12:28 PM
There are a few different ideas on the Mustard Monster site. https://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_20gb55hr&revision=_latest

Roger Chandler
04-07-2011, 1:14 PM
I know a guy who made an outboard tool rest from a car wheel rim, bolted on a plate that had the lug nut holes aligned, then put a pipe flange on it then screwed the correct length of galvanized pipe to it, and used some sort of fitting to attach another length of pipe for the rest itself. Worked like a charm, and cost him about $12.00 to make.

If you are handy with tools, then one can be made that is both effective and cheap.

Tony De Masi
04-07-2011, 4:49 PM
Dan, check with Patrick Stein. IIRC he made his own as well.

Dan Hintz
04-07-2011, 5:00 PM
I like the cost and straightforwardness of the Busy Bee option, but I like the beefiness of the Powermatic option (it adds more iron near the lathe to increase holding power under tension, a strength cast iron isn't known for). $100 shipped for the Busy Bee, $310+shipping for the Powermatic. If the price was closer I would go for the Powermatic... but that's a pretty good spread in price. I can add a crutch stick under the Busy Bee that runs to the floor for further support, I suppose.

Ryan Baker
04-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I built one for my Jet. It's a heavy vertical column (transfers force down to the floor), with arms mounting it to the right end legs. It has a fully adjustable tool rest support arm. I welded it up some time ago, and it has been waiting for me to get it cleaned up and painted. Been busy with a hundred other higher priorities since then. I'll get some pictures when I get it finished (which probably won't be until after I get done rebuilding my kitchen). It gives me 26" of clearance from the spindle (52" platters anyone?).

merrill worthington
04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I built one out of heavy Square tube that attaches to the end of the lathe similar to what Ryan described for my Jet 1642. I have turned several large bowls and platters and it has worked out well for me. I don't have any photo's on me but if you are interested let me know.

Dan Hintz
04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm interested in pics, if you have them... I haven't made up my mind yet, but I don't want to let this wood sit forever. I finally assembled my lathe last night, and the only thing holding me back now is a good holder for my DC tube...

Steve Harder
04-08-2011, 11:37 AM
The MustardMonster link mentioned above has pics of the KeeKlamp outboard I built - it is solid and works well. Not as easy to adjust as kicking around a freestanding rest.

merrill worthington
04-08-2011, 5:38 PM
Here are the pics of my outboard tool rest. It works well and is strong best of all I built it for under $30.

Dan Hintz
04-08-2011, 6:46 PM
Merrill,

Do you have a basic list of parts (and where you got them)? It looks like there is some welding at the transition from square to round tube at the tool post, yes? Can't do welding myself, so I'd have to find someone to do it for me. I like the design, though, especially as it folds out of the way.

Doug Wolf
04-08-2011, 7:02 PM
Check out this one I made for my 3520b. You could easily adapt it to your Jet.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158773-Outboard-Tool-Rest-Support-for-Wood-Lathe

Dan Hintz
04-08-2011, 7:59 PM
Doug,

I'm quoting that thread here to keep the pictures all in one spot:

Here is what I built out of some scrap exercise equipment metal, a support tube from old lathe and a 1" x 4" coupling which I had to purchase.
I used 3/4" bolts for the pivot hinge and the tubes slide in and out of each other for larger diameter turning. When the 3/4" bolts are tightened down it is solid as a rock. I put some weight on the tube at the bottom but probably don't need it. It allows me to turn from 20" to 44" diameter outboard. The test piece in the picture is 22" x 5/8" thick. The 1" coupling accepts Powermatic tool rests. If your lathe uses another size, they are available from Surplus Center.
The old lathe I started on is now a buffing station since the tube is now repurposed. Since the photos were taken I shortened the end of the tube that pivots 4" so the tube that slides into it will slide in further and get the tool rest closer to center.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=181012http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=181010
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=181015&d=1296687944&thumb=1http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=181014&d=1296687939&thumb=1

Kurt Barker
04-08-2011, 8:59 PM
I just happened on to this while surfing allofcraigs.com: http:// santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/2256928889.html

Dale Bright
04-08-2011, 9:11 PM
Dan,

Take a look at these threads. You will find several, including the one I built for my Jet.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143416-outboard-stand-turning&highlight=outboard

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114496-Homemade-Outboard-Toolrest-Vicmarc-style&highlight=outboard

Dale

Thom Sturgill
04-08-2011, 9:21 PM
Our club president had one built for him - A truck wheel with a pipe riser - about 3" diameter. A plate on top with two pieces of angle (about 3x3x1/4 about 1' long) welded to it such that the banjo can be moved to it. Plenty heavy, but can be rolled into place and to put it away.

Bob Bergstrom
04-08-2011, 9:37 PM
Even with the Powermatic their is vibration without additional support under the extension way. I use my hydraulic table for additional support.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/IMG_3158.jpg

Cathy Schaewe
04-08-2011, 10:38 PM
This is really interesting. I can't wait to see where you go with it. I'd love something like this.
Where is Jeff Nicol when I need him???!!!!

Dan Hintz
04-09-2011, 8:15 AM
Kurt, thanks for that... but at $395 + shipping, that's even more expensive than an actual Powermatic bed extension. I question why someone would think that homemade piece is worth $400 :-/

Dan Hintz
04-09-2011, 8:22 AM
Bob,

I'm torn. Part of me is leaning towards the Busy Bee solution with a leg extender that would offer similar support right at the end as your hydraulic table (cast iron isn't very strong in tension, so I don't want to crack the legs where I run the extension bolts through). So far, I do not see any advantage over the PM extension versus the BB, as the extra beefy portion is where the bolts are... if it still vibrates as you say, the extension pole (or in your case, the table) is the solution to that.

That said, I do like the swing out version offered by the re-purposed gym equipment. At least for the time being, the lathe is in an area of the shop that is currently (sorta kinda) out of the way... add on that permanent extension and it really starts to protrude into the walkway.

Cathy, Jeff is a busy bee himself knocking down the honey-do list before his wife decides he's more full of hot air promises than actual talent ;) I've decided to leave him along for as long as I can.

Mikey Green
04-09-2011, 2:31 PM
Dan, I also have a Jet 1642 and have wondered about outboard turning arrangements, like you have. It seems ridiculous that the Jet outboard turning stand is priced more than the Powermatic turning stand. I've wondered whether the 18" Powermatic bed extension would work on the Jet lathes, but haven't checked with anyone to confirm yet.

As far as other alternatives, I've looked at the Laguna outboard support system (for their 18/47), which appears to be similar to the Powermatic set-up, but less expensive at $145.00. Judging from the pictures alone, it appears to come with the bed extension, the banjo (articulated and tool rest post).

Another less expensive option than the independent outboard stands is the Vega outboard turning support assembly, Stock number 60006, which is shown on their website at $225.00, although the price sheet is dated 2008.

I'm not very computer savvy, so I don't know how to put in links to those sites, or I'd do it for you. Heck, in MS, we just got electricity last year, and just learned what the internet was end of last year. You know we're behind in everything!!

Bob Bergstrom
04-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Here is a home made one that I made for my old Delta 450. It was a 1/2" steel plate fasten to a 4" cannel iron table. The banjo was 1" thick by by 4" wide. It was pretty stout. The only weak spot was the angle iron legs that were attached to the base cabinet could flex under heavy cuts. I think the best solution I've seen is something like the Oneway outboard. It is a egg crate design. with two adjustable legs.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/IMG_0302.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/big_outboard.jpg

Jeff Nicol
04-09-2011, 11:13 PM
This is really interesting. I can't wait to see where you go with it. I'd love something like this.
Where is Jeff Nicol when I need him???!!!!

What will my wife think! Cathy I am here, just putting lots of time getting done with other projects and my other money making hobbies. I did 15 deer skull plate mounts and 2 european skull mounts this last week and did a little turning to boot! I have been going to make one of these for a while now, I have all the materials for one, and now that I have taken a hiatus from taking orders I can get it perfected, then one never knows what I will do in a few months once the honey do list is shorter and the shelves are full at the galleries for the tourist season.

Keep the faith,

Jeff

Jake Helmboldt
04-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Dan, I had a machinist friend fabricate an articulated arm outboard rest for my 1642 and it works great. It is similar to Merrils, but more substantial. My friend overvuilt the heck out of the thing, but I'm glad in hindsight that he did since it helps dampen any vibration and is rock solid.

I used the tapped holes in the end of the bed to mount it rather than tapping the cast iron legs; I didn't like that idea. A 1/2" thick steel plate bolts to the bed holes and the angle iron is then bolted to that for the articulated arm to attach to. It was still a couple hundred bucks, but worth it in my opinion. You could probably have someone fabricate one cheaper than that, but my friend, being a machinist, didn't just cobble it together.

Gary Conklin
04-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Dan, I went with this version, in fact Dave helped me with the build. I have yet to put the final touches on it, hence no pictures, but it is rock solid.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114496-Homemade-Outboard-Toolrest-Vicmarc-style

I did switch to a round bar 30+ lbs of stainless steel.

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2011, 1:00 AM
Sounds cool! Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Dan Hintz
04-10-2011, 8:45 AM
Mikey,

Thanks for the info on the Laguna... I never even thought about them considering their high-priced machines, but $145+shipping they're less than half of the cost of the similar Powermatic piece. Significantly more attractive, so the pull is becoming much stronger. I still like the idea of the articulated arm design, though, as I've walked past the lathe end several times now and know I would only be able to put a bed extension on if I took it off right after I was done... too much space taken up, right into the walkway.

I think I need Jeff to say "I'm happy to build one" :D

Baxter Smith
04-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Dan, I have been watching this thread for a while waiting for someone to tell you you're nuts to be thinking about turning a 22 inch piece of wood right after assembling your first lathe. Since they haven't I will.:) Now that thats out of the way, I am including some pictures of one I built last year when I wanted to turn 14
or 15 on my 12 inch lathe.
When I picked up a larger lathe I just switched it over. It was made out of scraps that I had from other projects. Only bought the fine thread bolt for the tool rest post. If you want to do it all yourself without a welder, perhaps you might try the following.

A piece of angle iron bolted to the lathe end should work as well as what I welded together.
The articulated arm is 1/4" thick 2"box tubing. I used 1/2" bolts with a couple washers in between. You could drill all the holes on your drill press. The tool post itself is 1 1/2 thin wall box tubing. It can slide up and down just inside the 2 inch box. If you knew the exact height you needed from the floor, you could through bolt the upright to the arm.

I added another piece of 2" box on the bottom because my 1 1/2 inch piece wasn't long enough. Came in handy when I switched to a taller lathe.

A 1" tool post just fits inside the 1 1/2 inch thinwall. I welded on a nut. I don't know if there is enough thickness there to drill and tap and put in two bolts at right angles to each other.
So perhaps, you could do it all with just a drill press and a tap.
It is also easy to remove by taking off one nut and storing out of the way.
Good luck with a build if you decide to go that route but be carefull. A spinning 22 inch piece of wood has a lot of inertia if you get a catch or place some body part where you shouldn't.

Mikey Green
04-10-2011, 5:26 PM
Dan, it seems that there are pretty much three options for outboard turning- 1) the free-standing stand; 2) the outboard bed extension with extra banjo; and 3) attachment to end of lathe with articulating arm and post that goes from floor up to where tool rest is attached.

From what I've heard and read, the majority of those who turn outboard recommend against the free-standing outboard turning stand like the one Jet sells. The big concern is over the potential failure of the stand breaking from metal fatigue or stress.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to which of the other two "types" is better (not manufacturers, but types of outboard turning systems), or offers more stability when turning large pieces?

Dan Hintz
04-10-2011, 7:24 PM
Mikey,

I'm not a fan of the free-standing versions, despite their ease of being put away... it just seems like a hack. So that also leaves me with choices 2 and 3. I lean towards the articulating arm setup, but I don't see myself having enough time to biuld one up (as I sit on my lazy butt and type this message ;) ).

Gary Conklin
04-10-2011, 8:49 PM
Dan, really the articulated system is nice, you could do the build in a day, and if you have access to a local scrap yard spend less than $30.00. When I purchased the parts for mine I also purchased a "spare" down bar, it was an old axle from something. I did this because I wasn't sure how I was gonna drill the 1" hole for my tool rest. I ended up using a piece of the axle for the tool rest holder, used my lathe to drill 1" hole, 8" through a 1 7/8" piece of solid steel for from each side. It was slow going, but I got it done. I really wasn't a difficult project, though. Dave did the welding for me, but it could have easily been done w/o any welding.

Ryan Baker
04-10-2011, 9:00 PM
The problem with the free-standing solutions is not breaking but moving. Free-standing rests (especially the post welded to a wheel hub type) have been known to tip in toward the spinning piece (with disasterous results) or otherwise change their position with respect to the lathe. A design that is attached to the lathe at least won't be wandering around on its own.

It's really not possible to over-engineer one of these devices. Beef it up as much as you can.

Cathy Schaewe
04-11-2011, 10:59 AM
What will my wife think! Cathy I am here, just putting lots of time getting done with other projects and my other money making hobbies. I did 15 deer skull plate mounts and 2 european skull mounts this last week and did a little turning to boot! I have been going to make one of these for a while now, I have all the materials for one, and now that I have taken a hiatus from taking orders I can get it perfected, then one never knows what I will do in a few months once the honey do list is shorter and the shelves are full at the galleries for the tourist season.

Keep the faith,

Jeff

Oh, I wasn't going to bother you, you've been very good to me! Was just wishing the honey-do list was shorter! I'll be interested to see what you come up with on this, though ....

dennis kranz
04-11-2011, 6:55 PM
Is there a picture of the one that Jet sells? I have looked for one and am unable to find any.
Dennis

Dan Hintz
04-11-2011, 7:12 PM
191211Jet stand...

dennis kranz
04-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks Dan.
Dennis

Dan Hintz
04-18-2011, 2:22 PM
I'm leaning heavily towards the Laguna outboard extension ($145+ shipping), with some modification. I'm considering putting it on a hinge that swings down, along with an extendable/removable pole at the end for support. That way, I only lose a few extra inches of walking space when the extension is folded down, and it's easy/fast to put up.

Can anyone see an issue with such a setup? Suggestions on a beefy, pre-made hinge?

Joe Scarfo
04-18-2011, 3:50 PM
I just called Busy Bee to see if the extension bolts to a 3520B. They didn't have any in stock and none are due till June...

I wonder how I can find out if it'll fit.. short of ordering one...

They're a Canadian company... Any Canadians here who know of web sites catering to Canadians where I can enquire?

Thanks

Leo Van Der Loo
04-18-2011, 4:28 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of homebuild outboard setups.

191957 191954 191955 191956

Kurt Barker
04-18-2011, 4:33 PM
Picture # 4 looks like it has a "That was easy" button from Staples...

Leo Van Der Loo
04-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Air-powered remote, with magnetic base :-))

Mikey Green
04-19-2011, 3:18 PM
I'm not trying to change your mind, but one more thing to think about is the possible similarity between the Busy Bee and Laguna extensions. People have mentioned in previous threads about the 18-47 lathes coming from the same Chinese manufacturing facility, but just having different brand-names on them, such as Grizzly, Busy Bee, Laguna, etc. They do all look about the same to me, but I don't hold myself out to be any expert on the 18-47's.

My point is, if you're considering the Laguna, and if the Busy Bee and Laguna extensions are the same, and if the Busy Bee is priced cheaper than the Laguna, does the price make a difference? I'm pretty much color-blind, but Laguna's bland white seems to look about like Jet's bland white, so if you got the Laguna, you might not have to do any painting. Not sure what color the Busy Bee's extension is-and not sure you'd even care about colors, as long as it did its job. I'm just throwing that out there, in case the two extensions are identical.

I'd gone back a few days ago, and looked at both side-by side toggling back and forth, and I couldn't see any difference myself, but I may be missing something. Again, I'm not trying to get you to change your mind, it's just something to think about before you pull the trigger.

Dan Hintz
04-19-2011, 5:39 PM
Mikey,

I looked at the same thing, but like others have seen, the Busy Bee is touch to find in stock. Not having to paint is a nice touch, and in and of itself is probably worth $20-30 by itself (I'm kind of a neat freak in my shop). I'm going to order it and find a nice, beefy hinge to hang it on, then a couple pieces of pipe to act as an adjustable stand.

Jeff Nicol
04-19-2011, 11:42 PM
I made a quick and dirty prototype the other day and have a few things I want to tweek on it and I think it will work well. It is a free standing one that will break down for storage or shipping and not weigh that much. It has an option that is not offered with the jet and PM stands. Will work on an articulating one also just to see what I can come up with then who knows where I will go with it!

Jeff

Dan Hintz
04-20-2011, 6:58 AM
I made a quick and dirty prototype the other day and have a few things I want to tweek on it and I think it will work well. It is a free standing one that will break down for storage or shipping and not weigh that much. It has an option that is not offered with the jet and PM stands. Will work on an articulating one also just to see what I can come up with then who knows where I will go with it!

Jeff
Jeff,

Are you suggesting I wait a little bit? <wink wink, nudge nudge>

John Keeton
04-20-2011, 7:01 AM
Jeff, just so you know - I am watching this thread to see where you go with this!!;):D Sounds like another Nicol invention worthy of purchase!!

Baxter Smith
04-20-2011, 7:27 AM
John, I know you like doing business with Jeff, but that powermatic would have given you 4 more inches of swing.;)

Dan Hintz
04-21-2011, 9:24 AM
Looks like I'm back to square two (not quite square one)... while mulling my latest decision over a bit, I realized that a hinge would only be clean if I could use countersunk screws, and that's not very sturdy. I could go with the hinge facing downwards, I suppose, and have the piece attached to the lathe legs wider to put the screws outside of the extension bed's path, but that seems like a bit of a hack, too. <sigh>

David Reed
04-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Sorry, you lost me with this description.

Dan Hintz
04-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Sorry, you lost me with this description.
Hinge with two differently sized plates... wider plate attached to the legs, shorter plate attached to the extension. The wider plate allows standard screws (with heads) to attach the hinge to the legs but keep the protruding screw heads away from the extension when it is raised/lowered.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Jeff, just so you know - I am watching this thread to see where you go with this!!;):D Sounds like another Nicol invention worthy of purchase!!

Me too! Maybe I should have plinked down that extra money for the PM too.

Jeff Nicol
04-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Maybe there could be a Jet 20-42 one day? My brain is always crunching something!

Jeff

Dan Hintz
04-22-2011, 6:55 AM
Maybe there could be a Jet 20-42 one day? My brain is always crunching something!
Still too small for the blanks I have waiting :(