PDA

View Full Version : Biltmore

Bob Rufener
04-07-2011, 10:42 AM
After spending 2 months in sunny/warm Florida, my wife and I began the trek home last Friday. Having never spent any time in N. Carolina, we decided to make a stop in Asheville and take in the Biltmore. What an incredible edifice. It is hard to imagine a house with over 250 rooms-many of which are larger than our entire house. The house was completed in 1895 and has been restored over the years. The woodwork and furnishings are something to behold. The dining room table can be expanded to seat 40 people at one setting. I can't begin to imagine all of the trees it took to supply the oak for the many wooden floors and paneling in many of the rooms. I believe that the total floor space is equivalent to about 4 acres. If you are ever in the area, it is well worth a full day's visit. I was in awe.

Kent A Bathurst
04-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Something in particular that I found remarkable - it was built back in the day when American artist John Singer Sargent was all the rage in Europe for portraits. He tried to stop, but just kept getting pulled back in. Absolutely ultimate work, in virtually every major museum in the world [well, at least the ones I have been to in the Western world].

And Vanderbilt got him to come to Asheville, and paint portraits...I remember seeing [and I think there are others] in the house Sargent's portraits of Vanderbilt and Fredrick Law Olmstead [who designed and supervised the gardens and landscaping - same guy that did Central Park, among many others].

Vanderbilt's focus on getting the very best for Biltmore included the landscape designer, and the acclaimed portrait artist that was tired of painting portraits, but came to the USA and painted the portrait of the landscaper.

Maybe money can't buy happiness, but it can darn well get a bunch of other stuff...............

Jim Creech
04-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Agreed! My mothers family is from Asheville and my grandfather was a stone mason on the Biltmore mansion. The entire estate is a work of art. And that was just a summer home!

Michael Weber
04-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Nice digs but kind of expensive to get into as I recall from several years ago. I remember being shocked at what it cost, but was ultimately worth it. What made it most memorable for me was that on the top floor at the time they had a major exhibit of Fabrage eggs. They were in individual glass cases and you could put your face right up next to them to see the increadible craftsmanship. It occured to me that I could lift the case, grab an egg and run like crazy:eek: Since I'm not writing this from a prison cell you can see I did not opt to try that.

Joe Angrisani
04-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Nice digs but kind of expensive to get into as I recall.....

Yowza!! I guess so. $175 for a family of four, and that's midweek. Even more on the crowded weekends. :(

Kent A Bathurst
04-07-2011, 1:40 PM
Hands down worth it, IMO. There isn't a "less expensive" version running around out there somewhere. But, I admit that as a kid, I wouldn't have gotten anything out of it.....I mean, how many times can one kid handle "don't touch anything!!" in the space of a couple hours?

Also - while you're in Asheville, stop by the Grove Park Inn and just wander around the public spaces. Now, that's cool. They also have a world-class A+C show/sale there annually. Killer stuff. Museum-quality Stickley, Van Earp, Newcomb Pottery, etc., etc., etc. - in case you didn't drop the whole bankroll at Biltmore. But - bring a big bankroll. $25k items are not rare at that show. IIRC, one time I saw a full dining room - table, chairs, sideboard, china cabinet - for something like $250k - $300k [I could hear my Mom saying "don't touch anything!!"].

There are certainly a lot affordable items as well - "affordable" being relative, of course [like my version v SWMBO's version on a very nice Fulper piece - which is now the center item on our mantle, for example :D]

Belinda Barfield
04-07-2011, 3:17 PM
Bob, schedule another visit to the Biltmore during the Christmas season. It's incredible.

Rod Sheridan
04-07-2011, 4:14 PM
The BMW motorcycle club had a rally there a few years ago and Diann and I went.

We camped on site and had unlimited access for 4 days for $60 per person, what a bargain.

As others have said, words fail to describe Biltmore.

It's definetly on our to do again list..........Rod.