PDA

View Full Version : Pc 390k ros, 5"

Mike OMelia
04-06-2011, 10:32 PM
For anybody who owns this tool, a performance update. First, I love this sander. Recently I noticed it was not working as well as I thought it should. Then, it started making noises, like something was loose inside. Turns out there is some kind of plastic guard/clutch ring that is not designed to last forever. Also, the pad was showing signs if wear. So, I easily located the parts on ereplacementparts.com and swapped them out. Just like new!

Seems I recall someone else mentioning this issue, so I thought I would put my experience out there.

If you can easily turn the pad by hand, it might be getting close to failure. My guess is that in most cases, regular checking and replacement of the gaurd/clutch thing would forestall pad wear.

Mike

Mikail Khan
04-07-2011, 8:24 AM
The white plastic ring is the brake. It rubs against the pad and slows it down when the sander is off the workpiece.

If the pad spins too fast it can gouge the work when you are trying to re-engage the sander.

I changed mine about 2 weeks ago.

MK

Mike OMelia
04-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Right, brake... that's what it does. But it does wear out. Did you note any excessive wear on the pad (part that comes into contact with the brake)? I did. Metal plating on the plastic was peeling off. Continued use of that pad would seem to me to have led to an early failure of the new brake. Also, there was a LOT of hard tacky stuff that resembled glue (brown) in there. I assume it was some shellac, varnish, etc that had built up over time. Got most of it out.

Erik France
04-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Also, there was a LOT of hard tacky stuff that resembled glue (brown) in there. I assume it was some shellac, varnish, etc that had built up over time. Got most of it out.Sounds more like resin & fine dust from the wood.

Mikail Khan
04-07-2011, 7:46 PM
No wear on back of pad. The velcro on the pad is not working as well as it once did. I ordered a new pad, but will only change it when this one stops working completely.

MK

Mike OMelia
04-07-2011, 11:38 PM
I think the wear I noticed was because of that goo buildup. And it caused early failure of the brake disk. From now on, I will dissemble that structure and clean it on a regular basis. And replace the brake regularly.

Mike