PDA

View Full Version : Dan's Apricot

Hayes Rutherford
04-06-2011, 9:30 PM
Dan Foreman left a chunk of apricot with me when he came up for a visit a couple of weeks ago. It had pretty deep cracks running through it so I decided to turn scoops out of what was usable. I was figuring on telling Dan thats what I did with it but if no pictures, it didn't happen. The bowl is birch about 12" diameter. Both the scoops and the bowl got a good coat of Tourangele walnut oil. It is light in color and has a wonderful roasted aroma. It is great for stir fry, and on salads too!

Tomorrow should be a great day!! I'm heading in to the city(Spokane) to visit Dan and then the Inland Northwest Woodturners meeting!!

David E Keller
04-06-2011, 9:33 PM
What a lovely picture! The scoops look fantastic as does the birch bowl, but the composition really strikes a cord with me. Thanks for sharing!

Dan Forman
04-06-2011, 9:38 PM
For one who claims no photo skills, you do a great job. Love the natural light, highlights and shadows, how it catches the rim of those scoops. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. Bring one of those scoops with you, I'd like to see one close up. How many did you get out of that chunk of apricot?

Dan

Roger Chandler
04-06-2011, 9:39 PM
That is just really nice, Hayes! I like those scoops, and the bowl is a beauty as well!

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Those are some cool little scoops! I agree with Dave - love the composition of the photo! Have fun tomorrow!

John Hart
04-07-2011, 6:38 AM
Great Bowl...great scoops...great picture.!! :)

John Keeton
04-07-2011, 6:57 AM
Hayes, the scoops are really well done - very clean cuts, great shapes - just very nice! Love the bowl, too, and the pic - well, it is unbelievably professional, particularly when done with a spray painted backdrop and natural light. Good work!!

Hayes Rutherford
04-07-2011, 8:54 AM
I really appreciate the encouraging comments, especially on the photography. When I went to take a couple of pictures the sun(which hasn't been shining for some time)happen to shine directly on the little bench where I work on finishing. A shadow from the bar dividing the window was right across the bowl so I took a piece of rigid insulation that is normally in the window frame when it is cold and partially blocked the sun. What luck!!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-07-2011, 9:00 AM
When it's supposed to be it just is. Good lighting, great presentation and really cool little scoops.
faust

Baxter Smith
04-07-2011, 9:06 AM
Great looking scoops and bowl. Natural light is the best light!

Michelle Rich
04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
the scoops are just super and well turned.

David Reed
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Very nicely done with the scoops. The details are great and like many already stated, the photography, luck or not, it professional in character.

bob svoboda
04-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I agree--nice on all counts. Well done!

Jim Burr
04-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Beautiful bowl Hayes...but not enough pictures!

Mark Hubl
04-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Nice bowl and batch of scoops. Those look great in the bowl.