PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Birthday HF

Roger Chandler
04-06-2011, 9:01 PM
My wife has a co-worker in the Cardiac Device clinic who has a birthday this coming Monday. This HF is for her.......a little Greek inspired form with a bit of a foot/pedestal. Turned quickly this afternoon between several other work related things I had going on.

Only a single coat of WOP at present, but a few more in the next day or 2 and it will have some major shine.

Note the grain pattern with the beginnings of a branch and the bark inclusion. I had to put a lot of CA glue to keep this one together......it wanted to split in several areas :eek: including the foot.

190480190481190482190483http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

John Hart
04-06-2011, 9:09 PM
Nice way to brighten someone's day. Way to go Roger. Cool form with some delightful figure. :)

Roger Chandler
04-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I forgot to put the dimensions in the post.......... 6.5 inches high and 4.25 wide.

Donny Lawson
04-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Nice looking form. The little bark inclusion adds good character.

John Keeton
04-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Roger, you did an excellent job with the form on this one! Really nice curve, good proportions, and the piece looks very balanced. I like it! I have been looking at various styles of cremation urns, and this form would be great for that purpose - a little adaptation of the top for a lid, etc., and it would work very well. Thanks!

Roger Chandler
04-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Roger, you did an excellent job with the form on this one! Really nice curve, good proportions, and the piece looks very balanced. I like it! I have been looking at various styles of cremation urns, and this form would be great for that purpose - a little adaptation of the top for a lid, etc., and it would work very well. Thanks!

John,

I almost lost this one a couple of times........had to stop and stabilize it with CA glue. I think it turned out okay, but I am not totally happy with my form on this one. Again, I was in hurry up mode.........seems like most of the time lately it has been that way for me. I have to take things as they present themselves in my work..............on and on and on......and my time has been very limited to turn.

I agree with you that this form could easily be adapted to make an urn......it has some Greek pottery influence, and the foot/pedestal makes it a classic form.

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Very nice work Roger! It is going to be a wonderful birthday present!

Roger Chandler
04-07-2011, 8:45 AM
Very nice work Roger! It is going to be a wonderful birthday present!

I appreciate it Steve.............:)

bob svoboda
04-07-2011, 8:51 AM
Really nice, Roger. I'm sure it will be treasured.

Fred Belknap
04-07-2011, 8:57 AM
Nice form Roger. I so far haven't tried that type of form, looks like you did a great job. Cracks can be a challenge but looks like you got them pretty good. I think me needs me a monster.:D

Baxter Smith
04-07-2011, 9:16 AM
Looks good Roger. That is a nice gift!

Michelle Rich
04-07-2011, 10:00 AM
the side with the branch is super pretty..lovely gift.

James Combs
04-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Very nice Roger, nice wood lots of character. I think I just got the inspiration form a near future turning. I like it a lot.

Roger Chandler
04-07-2011, 10:21 AM
"I think me needs me a monster.":D

Fred, Thanks and YES you do!!!

"the side with the branch is super pretty..lovely gift. "

Thank you Michelle!

"Very nice Roger, nice wood lots of character. I think I just got the inspiration form a near future turning. I like it a lot. "

Thanks JD.......feel free to copy all you want............I like this kind of form as well......I think it lends itself to vases, urns and mantle pieces!

"looks good Roger. That is a nice gift!"

Thanks Baxter.......I hope Loretta likes it as well!

Mark Hubl
04-07-2011, 1:51 PM
Very nice Roger. Nice work on the form.

Roger Chandler
04-07-2011, 2:28 PM
Very nice Roger. Nice work on the form.

Thanks Mark..............:)

Roger Chandler
04-07-2011, 8:07 PM
Really nice, Roger. I'm sure it will be treasured.

I missed your post Bob........I meant to acknowledge all who replied. I appreciate your comments, and encouragement!