PDA

View Full Version : Somebody help this kid before he hurts himself!

Jack Gaskins
04-06-2011, 8:53 PM
Youtube video of yougster roughing out a bowl with a roughing out gouge:eek:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ye7UOxclE

David E Keller
04-06-2011, 9:11 PM
I never saw his face, but he sounds a bit like the fellow that stole me lucky charms!

Curt Fuller
04-06-2011, 9:13 PM
I never saw his face, but he sounds a bit like the fellow that stole me lucky charms!

:-) That made me laugh!

Cecil Walborn
04-06-2011, 9:17 PM
I saw this video and thought he needs to get some lesson on turning before he gets hurts. I am glad to see someone else saw what I saw the roughing gouge for the whole bowl.

Jon Lanier
04-06-2011, 9:29 PM
They always need more candidate for the Darwin Awards. The Darwin Awards, Commemorates those who assist natural selection by removing themselves from the gene pool...

Jim Burr
04-06-2011, 9:36 PM
His lungs will be shot in 20 years anyway. If I knew who the kin was, I'd buy him a Thompson.

Jeff Fagen
04-06-2011, 11:24 PM
A right fast trip to the emergency room ought to learn him!

Jon Prouty
04-06-2011, 11:44 PM
I worry about this kid and him getting hurt. Youtube videos like this make others think this is the right way to do things and someone is going to get hurt. How long until someone sues youtube because some idiot watched something and replicated it and got hurt or worse? At least on craigslist there is community monitoring with the flag process - this dangerous stuff needs to be removed.

okay... off my soapbox. nice chunk of wood though.

Jon

Mike Cruz
04-07-2011, 12:47 PM
That was just scary. I don't know what else to say...

Roger Chandler
04-07-2011, 1:39 PM
I sure hope somebody who knows this kid will get to him before he looses a hand or fingers or eyes or .........:eek::eek::eek:

He is doing so many things that are very dangerous, and including using a rag at the chuck, spindle roughing gouge to hollow out a bowl and sanding with the rest in place..........he is a tragedy waiting to happen................

somebody across the pond needs to try and find out who he is and show him the right way to do these things............he needs a mentor for sure!!!

Todd Bin
04-07-2011, 3:11 PM
Question: Do we have a do's and don'ts for folks who come along to this site? We could stick it in the sticky section. Simple things like don't use a roughing gouge to hollow a bowl because ... Don't sand with the tool rest in place because ... etc.

Roger Chandler
04-07-2011, 3:25 PM
Question: Do we have a do's and don'ts for folks who come along to this site? We could stick it in the sticky section. Simple things like don't use a roughing gouge to hollow a bowl because ... Don't sand with the tool rest in place because ... etc.

That is a great idea Todd. I wonder if one of the mods could make up one and post it as a sticky? Calling Steve Schlumpf........code blue, calling Steve S. code blue..............calling ..............

additional:
Now that I thought about it for about 2 seconds after I hit the submit button..........there is some safety info on the AAW website, but it might not be a bad idea for this one as well..........the mods have better insight as to what could be, than I do.......

Mike Cruz
04-07-2011, 4:17 PM
This sounds like a great idea, but I wonder how it would work...? I mean, person X says, "Never do such and such!" And person Y comes in and says, "Why not? I do it all the time with no issues...you are being a sissy." That kind of thing. Maybe it would be a closed thread that is compiled by a Mod, or a group of Mods, or a group of the well respected here. Either way, it is a recipe for argument that I would rather avoid. But again, the idea is great and would love to see it implemented in a way that won't create conflict.

The other side of the coin is, oh, and I hate to bring this up, but doesn't this open up a can of worms about safety on all machines in the General section regarding TS's and guards, etc, etc...?

Roger Chandler
04-07-2011, 4:31 PM
Mike,

I think it could be limited to lathe safety on this forum should the mods decide to post some safety info......just my opinion.

Dick Wilson
04-07-2011, 5:15 PM
Just another of a long line of scary videos presented to you YouTube. I have responded to a number of others. The worst one I saw was an adult who admittedly only had two months of turning experience. He had a big limb crotch between centers. One limb stuck out a good 4-5 inches. He turned the lathe on and he started chasing it around the shop. When he got it lassoed he preceded to turn the tree crotch round with............you guessed it..... a roughing gouge!!! He got a ton of negative comments. There is a way to report to YouTube dangerous videos. I reported that video and it wasn't long before the video was pulled.

This boy obviously is internet savvy, at least enough to upload a video. Invite him to join this forum to learn a better way of turning.

Maria Alvarado
04-07-2011, 6:11 PM
It looks like he may have found a mentor. Comments from a local turner on one of his other vids offering him some training with the bowl gouge. Not a moment too soon!

Jason Roehl
04-07-2011, 7:15 PM
Hmmm...I seem to recall that Del Stubbs does that very thing in his turning video from 20+ years ago. Bowl gouges haven't been around forever, certainly not nearly as long as turned wooden bowls. There are many craft activities that can be done in ways that some might consider very risky. Others would call it skill...

Mike Cruz
04-07-2011, 7:27 PM
Roger, really, I DO believe it is a good idea. And think it should be implemented. Just must be done properly to avoid a sawstop type issue...

Jack Gaskins
04-07-2011, 9:00 PM
I was watching him use that Big freakin skew on the rim and i heard him explain to others to be careful as it causes the wood to chip real bad. DUHHHHH!!