PDA

View Full Version : Rookie here

Steve Kennedy
04-06-2011, 8:29 PM
I have been hanging around here for about a year and a half. I have never posted because I felt like I just needed to listen and learn. You have no idea how much I have learned by listening. The talent here is very impressive.

I started with a Jet 1014vs I got used from a lady that tried turning and it just wasn't her thing. I have done a bunch of pens, stoppers, some bowls and goblets. Yesterday I took the plunge and bought a new Nova DVR xp.

On the old Jet I had tried a piece of Hemlock I bought at WoodCraft (cheap). It was about 7" round by 3"thick. I turned the lathe on then chased it across the bench. Kind of laughed and then threw it under the bench. Today I tired it on the new DVR. It was sweet... right until the whole thing broke in two and went flying across the shop. Luckily I had turned the headstock and was standing to the side. One small piece even stuck in the sheet rock. The Hemlock was very dry, dusty, with a lot of tear out. I had already pretty much given up on it when it blew up.

My reason for finally posting is what are some of the best woods to turn and what are some that need to be avoided? I know the best wood is free wood but what woods really work out best. Thanks

Tim Thiebaut
04-06-2011, 8:32 PM
HI Steve, I will let the pros answer your question, but I just wanted to welcome you to the creek, everyone is very helpful and friendly here, I think you will enjoy it a great deal, Tim

Lee Koepke
04-06-2011, 8:47 PM
I am new to turning too!

So far I have had good success with cherry, bradford pear, sycamore, and maple. I have turned some kiln dried lumber, its a little dusty, dry, and hard. the green stuff turns good, but its got to dry. I still havent finish turned some of my very first bowls! So that patience thing is important.

John Keeton
04-06-2011, 8:54 PM
Steve, welcome to the community side of the creek!! Good folks here, and you will enjoy the company. I am sure of that.

I think most folks will have their favorite woods, and every species has its quirks. Maple is hard to beat for a finish and for versatility, and maple that has some spalting and ambrosia is sweet to turn and finish! Cherry is wonderful wood to work with, and ages nicely. Prone to crack, however. Claro walnut is my all time favorite wood to turn, followed very closely by big leaf maple (BLM,) particularly the burls. Curly maple is nice, as well. For flatwork, black walnut and curly maple together was my weakness!

I am not a big user of exotics - save for African Blackwood. I recently acquired a little cocobolo, but have yet to turn it. Most of the domestic hardwoods are great IMO.

David E Keller
04-06-2011, 9:04 PM
Welcome, Steve! John is right about us all having some favorites, and the few he listed are a great place to start. I'm not sure what grows local to you, so it's hard to recommend things for your particular area. Bradford pear is about as sweet a turning wood as I've found, but it's not terribly interesting looking most of the time. Woods with a lot of pitch like pine are not my favorites, so I avoid them for the most part. Oak is also not a favorite of mine for turning, but some of the pieces can be quite beautiful. Green pecan turns nicely, but it turns into pecancrete when dry. It's hard to go wrong with cherry, maple, and walnut... especially crotch wood and burls.

I have an affinity for the Australian burls, but they're pretty hard and dusty at times... Cost is definitely another factor.

Best wishes on your adventure, and let us know if you have more questions.

Roger Chandler
04-06-2011, 9:12 PM
Welcome to the turners forum! Looking forward to your first post with pics of your work. Most hardwoods like maple, walnut, cherry, ash and locust are good to turn..............use breathing protection when you sand! You only get one set of lungs so keep them healthy!!!

John Hart
04-06-2011, 9:18 PM
I'd have to say that cherry is my favorite wood to turn. Not the kiln-dried stuff though. I like the smell of it, the way it finishes, and how the shavings come off the tool. Cherry, like most fruitwoods are prone to cracking as they dry, due to their sugar content....but well worth the pampering. I'm also a big fan of the many maples.

Good luck and welcome to the non-lurk side!! :)

Thomas Canfield
04-06-2011, 9:18 PM
Welcome to the club and world of larger turning. I strongly recommend finding some green wood to start learning. It does not have the dust of dry wood. is usually softer and easier on the tools, and you can get some very nice curls when you are cutting properly. Getting some help from local turners in a club is also very good, but there are several DVDs out there to help also. I really like Bradford Pear green for learning, and also for later projects if you can find it. You did not mention how you were holding the bowl and that might be a place to get some help. Having a piece split is not a good way to start your journey. Keep at it.

Tom Hamilton
04-06-2011, 9:31 PM
Welcome to the Creek and the wonderful world of turning. Favorite wood to turn: I'm very fond of walnut and cherry. Bradford plentiful here (Atlanta) and the folks that admire my pieces like it for the color.

Gee, I just looked at your post and you are just around the corner in Marietta. Steve, send me a PM and let's get together in my studio. I've got a ton, literally, of wood and you need some of it to get started. Seriously, PM me and let's get together in Douglasville.

Best regards, Tom, in D'Ville, awaiting your response.

Jim Burr
04-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Welcome Steve...from rookie to rookie, all woods mentioned here are great woods to turn and avaliable on eBay, so have at it. You'll find a guy through here named Mike Smith. He has mostly green wood, but also has some of the best stuff around, so get yourself a DNA set-up or whatever preferred method you choose and get busy. By the way...no pic's and it never happened!

Donny Lawson
04-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the forum. You will find out that everyone is helpful in many ways. We are here for advise,suggestions,and anything else to help. What ever you need just let us know and we will be glad to assist you.Green wood is best in my opinion. I like them all. I look for wood with some nice color and character in it. Maple,Bradford Pear and Sycamore,Walnut,Cedar,Mimosia,Cherry,Dogwood,etc,e tc,etc.... are my favorite. If it will fit on the lathe well, it's my favorite. Happy turning

Scott Lux
04-06-2011, 10:39 PM
+1 on pear, nice to turn and some really beautiful, if subtle, wood. Apple is fun when it's green too. But you can almost watch apple crack.

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Steve - Welcome to posting on the Creek!

Honestly - you learn a lot more when you participate! Best advice is to link up with Tom! Not only has he offered you wood to start off with but I am sure he would be happy to give you a few pointers to get you turning safely!

Looking forward to seeing photos of your work!

Steve Kennedy
04-07-2011, 7:36 AM
Thanks to everyone. I can't wait to meet Tom. You guys jumped right in with good advise.
I'm getting fired up. This is going to be fun:)

Russell Eaton
04-07-2011, 7:51 AM
Hey Steve you are not far from a couple of decent suppliers. PM me and I will give you the names if you need them. They will be cheaper than going to Wookcraft.

bob svoboda
04-07-2011, 8:58 AM
Welcome Steve. My fav's are Cherry and BLM. Recently tried some Pacific Yew and love the result.

Baxter Smith
04-07-2011, 9:15 AM
Welcome Steve. I started turning bowls with a lot of green apple and maple. Both turn well. Someone here sent me a piece of mesquite which was great to turn. I recently recieved some madrone in a wood trade and that was beautiful to turn. Guess I like it all.

Roland Martin
04-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks to everyone. I can't wait to meet Tom. You guys jumped right in with good advise.
I'm getting fired up. This is going to be fun:)

And expensive!!!:D:D, Seriously, glad you joined in and welcome to the forum. I think you've gotten enough advice in species, not much to add to that. Have fun and be safe, looking forward to seeing more posts.

Mark Hubl
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Welcome in from the lurkness. Congrats on the new lathe and glad to hear that the piece of wood missed you. I have to say that I am not crazy about smelly elm or black palm. Most other stuff I have turned yields a good result.

Dennis Simmons
04-07-2011, 8:05 PM
Good wood source in Georgia: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/002481.php

Steve Kennedy
04-07-2011, 8:26 PM
Thanks to all!!!

Jeff Nicol
04-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Steve, I figure the best wood is always "FREE" wood! The piece of hemlock you mentioned being dry and most likely very straight grained, I think that was the downfall for it from the beginning. Like many have stated wet wood turns easy and is fun to see all the curls come off the blank. So take up all the offers for help and assistance and keep up with what is happening here on SMC and soon you will have more wood than you will be able to turn in a lifetime.

Great to see another new turner on the Creek, welcome and don't hesitate to send PM's to folks if you want or need some more questions answered, we all are full of some sort of knowledge!

Have a great night,

Jeff