PDA

View Full Version : Going to make a steady rest - how to make laser friendly and other questions?

Dan Forman
04-06-2011, 4:52 PM
I'm going to make a steady rest for my PN 3520B. I don't weld, so this will have a wooden frame. I have looked at a number of threads on the subject, and have a few questions.

What features make for the most laser friendly design? I have the Monster laser.

Any functional advantage either way of solid wood over plywood frame?

Any functional advantage either way of T track over slotted wood wheel arms? Thinking stability here.

Would it be better to have a larger as well as a smaller frame, and swap arms between them to keep the length of the arms down when turning a smaller form?

Anything you did on yours that you wish you had done differently?

Anything else that might be helpful to know?

Thanks for your input.

Dan

Wally Dickerman
04-06-2011, 5:07 PM
I replaced my 3 wheel steady with a Oneway 2 wheeler. Much less bulk and easier to use. Works well for me. I suggest that you check one out on the Oneway website. I use it with the wheels on the side that I'm cutting, but it can be reversed to accomodate the laser better.

Michael Ginsberg
04-06-2011, 5:10 PM
Dan, I cannot be of much help making a steady. Mine is ready-made from Jeff. However, I have the laser on my Lyle Jamieson Hollowing rig with his laser, and I have the Monster Hollowing articulated arm hollower with their laser. Both work fine with the steady. It fits between the two upper roller arms. I must say, although you probably already know, there is no comparison between the two. I would say that the Monster laser is well worth the extra bucks. The Robust website has a nice looking steady.
Michael

Roger Chandler
04-06-2011, 5:23 PM
Dan,

You can laminate solid wood to make a really strong unit. I made mine out of plywood, and it works well........I was after quick when I did mine. The four arm steady will allow for a laser. I have the monster rig, and I just pull the arm that is at 10 o'clock back away to the frame, and then my laser is not obstructed, but this is just for the last few passes of hollowing, so as to not hollow through the sidewall.

A steady with a 3 arm configuration will not allow that level of support and using the laser at the same time..........with the 4 arm, you still have two wheels supporting the bottom, and one on the top.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?155832-G0698-steady-rest&highlight=

Tim Thiebaut
04-06-2011, 6:32 PM
I would be interested to see how you build yours Dan if you would be so kind as to post photos of your build, I cant afford to buy one right now, so I will probably have to build one myself in the near future like you are doing.

John Beaver
04-06-2011, 8:11 PM
here's a link to the thread on the one I built
Double 3/4 ply with two more pieces added to the base for stability.
Kind of whipped it out quickly, but it does the job.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157912-Home-Made-Steady-Rest&highlight=