PDA

View Full Version : Binh Pho Demonstration

Mark Hubl
04-06-2011, 4:18 PM
I just spent three hours watching Binh do a demonstration. He has an exhibit at a college about 50 miles from the house. Today he did a demo and discussed his work. He banged out a little thin walled bowl, did some piercing, pyro and painting as well. It was a good demo to see his basic techniques.

The exhibit of his work was pretty large and included his glass castings and an explanation of how he goes about it. Pretty interesting stuff.

Well worth the drive.:)

Jim Burr
04-06-2011, 5:36 PM
Saaaweet! I'd give my 3/8" Thompson and a few other parts to see something like that! Living on the "Left Coast" I never hear about events in Ca. Is there a place I can plug into that give's a heads up to events like this?

Tim Thiebaut
04-06-2011, 6:28 PM
I have watched some Youtube vids of him working, I would love to be able to see him in person as you did, glad you got a chance to see him demo'ing.

George Morris
04-06-2011, 6:37 PM
Wow I too would give a bowl gouge and other things to see him , He is on my list to take a class from!!

Phil Harris
04-06-2011, 8:02 PM
Hi Jim

I have been a member of the Nor-Cal Woodturners for a little more than a year and I have been to four Demos and missed a couple also. The first one I went to was a John Jordan demo and all the others were very high quality also. A couple of months ago the Bay Area Woodturning club had
Mahoney at their facility in Castro Valley. I looked up woodturning clubs in Calif. and the closest to you is most likley the San Jauquin club they didn't have a website so I couldn't tell their actual location. While Sacramento and Castro Valley are a long drive it might well be worth keeping an eye on their websites for their upcoming demos. The Bay Area woodturning club meets on Saturdays so you might consider a membership with them. Anyway, there are plenty of demos in the northern Calif. area, just jump in your Prius and join in.

Phil Harris

25 minutes from David DeChristoforo, probably

Bob Bergstrom
04-06-2011, 8:17 PM
A few years ago 10 of us Windy City Woodturners spent a day at Binh's studio. He showed us many of his personal tools and 6 different lathes. In the morning he turned one of his tall thin bowls using a bright light. He demonstrated 4 different hollowing systems, one with adjustable bar that was 6 to 8 ft. long. After lunch at a local eatery, we were invited to play with his piercing tools and watched him airbrush a vessel. He then showed us how to clean our airbrushes. We viewed his personal wood collection which most people would die for. Most of his vessels are made from Box Elder. He was a most gracious host and teacher. The whole day cost each of all of $50 each. What a bargain it was!!

Ryan Baker
04-06-2011, 9:50 PM
Binh has two DVDs out there showing off his techniques. It's not the same as a live demo, but it's the next-best thing if you are interested in seeing him work and explain his process.

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-06-2011, 10:24 PM
I have got to know Bhin over the last couple of yrs. through a mutual friend. I have also been to his home studio, & have had dinner with him a number of times over the last couple of yrs. Bhin is nothing short of a amazing man.
I've seen him demo & give a slide show that's basically a Biography of him & his works. He is a amazing artist and the speed at which he works is also amazing. His book (River of Destiny) is very interesting also well worth the time to read it.
I'd highly recommend anyone to see him demo if you get the chance.

If you've never seen one his Demo's or even his slide show biography. I'd highly recommend
it if you ever get the chance.

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Mark - sure sounds like that would have been an interesting time! Glad you had the chance to attend!