PDA

View Full Version : My PM3520 under lathe storage

Mike Peace
04-06-2011, 4:10 PM
Several folks from my chapter took a road trip to visit the Carolina Mountain Woodturners recently. Enroute we made a studio visit to Joe Ruminski where I copied his lathe storage idea.

I have had a my 3520 for three years and have not really seen a need for more ballast so his storage solution looked like it would work for me. Easy to sweep under. One tip he gave me: When installing, simply take out three screws on one pair of legs and pivot the legs open to put in the box. The manual suggests 48 1/2 inch fits best in the cleats. What they don't tell you is that you only have 48" of clearance as you move up because of a reinforced area in the cast iron for the lower screw for attaching an auxilliary bed. Some bad words and a little chisel work fixed the clearance to I could get the leg to fully swing closed.

John Keeton
04-06-2011, 4:14 PM
Mike, that worked out really well, and you still have the option of a couple of drawers in lieu on the drop down door should you decide to go that route.

Brodie Brickey
04-06-2011, 5:34 PM
Mike,

I really like that. My only question is whether you're applying a board slanted under the bed to handle the shavings that always fall down?

Dick Wilson
04-06-2011, 5:52 PM
Mike,

Well, at least you have some shavings on the floor, unlike someone else we know. :D Looks like it should work well for you.

Jim Burr
04-06-2011, 5:55 PM
We should make a new rule...Shavings must be included in all postings...I mean, the piece may have come from Walmart for all we know:eek:! At least shavings will give the illusion that it was turned:D:p:rolleyes:;)

John Keeton
04-06-2011, 6:43 PM
Jim and Dick, just looking at the picture, it seems obvious that Mike has spread those shavings out just for the photo op!!!;):D I bet in reality, he keeps his shop spotless!!:rolleyes:

Dick Wilson
04-06-2011, 7:42 PM
John, Point well taken. Hmmmmm. I on the other hand do have to spread anything anywhere:eek::D

John Keeton
04-06-2011, 8:44 PM
Dick, my guess is Mike got the shavings from under your lathe, and you didn't even miss them!!