PDA

View Full Version : steady rest - where to get, now that Jeff Nicol is out of the game...

Dan Cannon
04-06-2011, 2:07 PM
hi all,

I dragged my feet too long and missed out on my chance to have Mr. Nicol build me a steady rest before he closed his shop. I'd like to have one that can be used on bowls and vessels. Any suggestions on who sells/makes good quality ones? It seems that the Oneway bowl steady isn't made to fit my grizzly lathe.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Dan

Michael Ginsberg
04-06-2011, 2:44 PM
Dan, I myself have Jeff's steady. I do know that Robust makes one. I would think the quality is top notch as all their stuff is! It will not be cheap though....
Good Luck

curtis rosche
04-06-2011, 3:02 PM
when did jeff close up shop?

Dan Hintz
04-06-2011, 3:05 PM
I hear Jeff is taking a bit of a hiatus so he can get some of his own projects finished.

Greg Just
04-06-2011, 3:09 PM
Dan:

There are lots of plans available for you to make your own. I recently picked up some used roller blades from a thrift store and intend to make one myself soon.

A search within this forum found this one: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157912-Home-Made-Steady-Rest&highlight=steady+rest

Bill Bulloch
04-06-2011, 3:52 PM
Jeff told me that he was still making them for members of the Creek. That was shortly after he posted on his web site that he was taking a break from making them. If you have not already, I'd email him and ask.

I saw these at the Woodworking Show this year and they are really cool. A little pricey, but really well made and nice. http://www.woodline.com/p-2608-steady-rest.aspx

Mark Hubl
04-06-2011, 4:10 PM
Dan,

The only thing on the oneway that may not be available for the grizzly is the clamp block. You could order one that is close and just file it to fit. It is just a hunk of metal. Nothing special. I have the oneway and use it on my Nova. Bought it on sale and ordered the clamp block direct from oneway, when I received it the block was just a bit oversized (or the lathe was a bit undersized). I just took out a file and had at it. Couple minutes done.

Roger Chandler
04-06-2011, 4:17 PM
Dan,

I made my own and it works like a charm..........used it today as a matter of fact.........easy and inexpensive as well.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?155832-G0698-steady-rest&highlight=

James Combs
04-06-2011, 9:13 PM
I made mine also and if you prefer metal here is how I did it. If this doesn't take you directly to the post scroll down to post #21. There is a PDF file attached that has basically a tutorial in it. Good luck.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?151550-Steady-Rest-Fabrication&p=1551910#post1551910

Josh Bowman
04-06-2011, 9:29 PM
Have you asked Jeff? Sometimes he has some done or near done. Also you can make one from wood, like James Combs has shown with metal. Steve Schlumph has one like that.

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-07-2011, 8:11 AM
Advanced lathe Tools is now making steady rest. There heavy duty. They plan to show them at the AAW symposium this summer

They don't have a web site. However you can contact them at.
ssinner@mchsi.com

Dan Cannon
04-07-2011, 8:28 AM
thanks for the variety of ideas everyone. I wish I could make my own, I'm just not sure I trust my skills to do it. I'm ok with some jigs and fixtures, but not sure on making an actual tool. Thanks again, I've got some research to do!

Dan

Roger Chandler
04-07-2011, 8:33 AM
thanks for the variety of ideas everyone. I wish I could make my own, I'm just not sure I trust my skills to do it. I'm ok with some jigs and fixtures, but not sure on making an actual tool. Thanks again, I've got some research to do!

Dan

Dan if you can drive a screw and use a jig saw, or band saw, then you can do it.............very easy! Oh yeah, you will have to drill a few holes as well! :eek::D;)

Mine took me all of an hour to build, and that was with a couple of interruptions.

Todd Bin
04-07-2011, 8:39 AM
Here ya go. This guy makes a really nice steady. I am sure it would last a few lifetimes. Mine was $380. Click on clark steady at the top of the web page when it loads.

http://www.theokspindoctor.com/

John Keeton
04-07-2011, 9:13 AM
Todd, that is a nice steady, but I think those made by Jeff Nicol were a sweetheart deal compared to the cost of that one. I believe Jeff was getting about $150-175 or so, plus shipping for his, which appears to be a bit beefier and has four wheels - a big difference. Hopefully, Jeff will get caught back up and be back in the market.

This is Jeff's steady.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=190372&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1302043685 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=190372&d=1302043685)

Michelle Rich
04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
I have the oneway..I made my own clamp blocks as I use it on 5 different lathes..easy as heck to make the clamp block..

Rob Cunningham
04-07-2011, 1:10 PM
I built my own from some plywood and roller blade wheels. It's not as pretty as some but it does the job and was not difficult. If you can build jigs and fixtures you can build this.

Brian McInturff
04-07-2011, 9:59 PM
I had the okspindoctor rest and ended up having to sell it. The thing weighed around 80lbs. It was great before I had my back surgeries, not so great afterwards. I'm hoping someone starts making them out of some type of alloy so they aren't so dang heavy but rigid.

Jeff Nicol
04-07-2011, 11:07 PM
I kind of feel like I have let everyone down, but I plan on trying to get some made ahead while I am trying to get other things done. The doors on the lazy susan in our kitchen have been waiting 5 years for me to get them on and my bride has laid down the law and they will get done soon! She just re-wrote the honey do list and I think it got 3 times longer on the re-do!

I am also working on a new design that will be better and more versitile than the one I make now, so hopefully that will be the wave of the future! I just have to get on the stick and get it perfected and out there for some guys to try out.

I truly appreciate all the support from everyone,

Jeff

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Jeff,

I want one in the future too but....for now.....take care of yourself first!

David T gray
04-07-2011, 11:22 PM
I kind of feel like I have let everyone down, but I plan on trying to get some made ahead while I am trying to get other things done. The doors on the lazy susan in our kitchen have been waiting 5 years for me to get them on and my bride has laid down the law and they will get done soon! She just re-wrote the honey do list and I think it got 3 times longer on the re-do!

I am also working on a new design that will be better and more versitile than the one I make now, so hopefully that will be the wave of the future! I just have to get on the stick and get it perfected and out there for some guys to try out.

I truly appreciate all the support from everyone,

Jeff

so happy to see this

Dan Hintz
04-08-2011, 6:59 AM
Jeff,

I want one in the future too but....for now.....take care of yourself first!
Same here.... get your honey-do at least partially completed, then worry about our stuff... :)

Alec Moseley
04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
second this recommendation. Keith Clark at OK spindoctor also a very nice fellow to deal with.