PDA

View Full Version : Some more turning gloats!

Brian Effinger
04-06-2011, 12:11 AM
I just wanted to crow about a few other things I got my hands on recently.

The first is a new to me Trend Airshield Pro. I got it from another creeker for a good price. It doesn't appear to be all that used, but that will change soon. :) I tried it out, and it doesn't feel too bad, and I'm hoping I won't even notice it on my melon after a little use.
Then today, the mother of all boxes was left at my door by the man in the brown van. The label said it was from Kentucky. Upon opening the well taped behemoth, all I could think was, "Oh nuts!"
I can see it now: A maniacal John Keeton, in the UPS store, with the end of the packing peanut dispensing hose, just going to town, laughing through it all. :D I think I have enough peanuts, now, JK. :D
All kidding aside, really well packed, and I'm sure the contents didn't move at all.

I carefully pulled items from the box, so I wouldn't disturb all of the statically charged fluffies, and found these:
190425 190423 190424
First, a Nicol's deluxe steady rest in Grizzly Green (wasn't that the name of a Chrysler paint color in the 60's). It measures 14" in diameter, so I should have no trouble putting this on my 12" Delta. I want to give a big hand to Jeff - this is really a well made piece of equipment. Nice and solid, and I expect to get many years of service out of it. At least until I get a bigger lathe. :) Of course, this might need a color change. I don't think I'm sold on the green resting on my gray lathe. :D

Next is the base from John's Monster hollowing rig. I believe he had Randy make this up special, so he could fit the full size articulating arm on his Delta. Well, with the new Jet, I guess it didn't fit any more, so it has found a new home in Buffalo. Now all I have to do is get the rest of the set-up. :rolleyes: I guess you can call this the installment plan. :p I'm hoping by the fall, I can put this base to use.

Finally, I found a piece of Kentucky cottonwood in there. Free wood is always a nice surprise. :) Of course I already have NY cottonwood coming out of my ears, from a downed tree last spring, but what's a little more? ;) My plan for this particular piece of wood is to turn a box or hollow form, and donate it. Every year, at the Erie Co. (NY) fair, the 4 local turning clubs get together and sell donated turnings on the front porch of one of the buildings. This goes on for nearly two weeks, and every penny collected goes to Make-A-Wish. Last August, we managed to get just over $17,000 for the cause - our best year yet. Now, I just have to get it done, without screwing it up. :o I'll make sure John's name is on there too, as the source of the wood, and post the finished product here.

Well, thanks again for putting up with a long post. I promise - it's my last, today. :D

Brian

John Keeton
04-06-2011, 7:55 AM
Brian, glad the box got there safely, and I want you to know how much I appreciate the opportunity to send the "peanuts." Our landfills here are already pretty crowded, and I like to ship as much refuse to NY as possible!!:D

Wish I had known about the cottonwood surplus - had my hand on a walnut blank first, and switched!

I, too, contemplated a paint job on the steady, but never got around to it - it deserves a matching color application.

Congrats on the Airshield! Put it to good use.

Brian Effinger
04-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Brian, glad the box got there safely, and I want you to know how much I appreciate the opportunity to send the "peanuts." Our landfills here are already pretty crowded, and I like to ship as much refuse to NY as possible!!:D
You and the rest of the world! :D

Wish I had known about the cottonwood surplus - had my hand on a walnut blank first, and switched!

No worries - it will be put to a good use. Anyway, I have some walnut too. A 12" dia. by 4' tall piece in the garage, and a few chunks in the basement.

And, yes, I have a wood problem. :D I just wish there was a program for that.

Baxter Smith
04-06-2011, 1:01 PM
Nice peanuts!;) Good of him to throw in that other stuff.

Nate Davey
04-06-2011, 1:51 PM
I think you're going to love the Airshield, I love mine.

Brian Libby
04-06-2011, 5:34 PM
Nice gloat.
I would like to know how you like the air shield. I have been looking at them.
It will have to wait for a while - just bought my second talon chuck and a ceiling mounted air purification unit.

John Hart
04-06-2011, 8:14 PM
Yeah...I never get nice peanuts like that. :( Very cool. Good gloat. :)