PDA

View Full Version : SW Inspiration

Mark Hubl
04-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Another piece inspired by SW forms. This is not based on any particular symbology or artist. Just some fooling around with light carving, pyro and ink. This form is one of those that looked better on the lathe. It is a little weak in the shoulders.

The inclusion showed up when turning, just left it and the bug holes. Finished with AO and a light buff.

Dennis Puskar
04-06-2011, 12:08 AM
It looks pretty good off the lathe to, great shape nice work.

Jim Burr
04-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Nice overal piece Mark, artwork came out well. The shoulder does look a bit to round, but no big deal. Did you burn the triangle borders and then dimple? What did you use for your dimpling? Keep it up!

Mark Hubl
04-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Did you burn the triangle borders and then dimple? What did you use for your dimpling? Keep it up!

Thanks Jim, I drew the lines for the triangles, the cut with knife for depth, the carved them with a v chisel in my carver. Then I burned the lines. I hammered the triangles using my carver and a blunt tip. This technique works pretty well. Then, I reburned where it needed it.

Brian Effinger
04-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Nice piece, Mark. :) The "defects" give it character, and make it look like a relic.

I see what you mean about the shoulder. I think it could have been dropped a little, but as it stands now, is a good form.

Michelle Rich
04-06-2011, 6:42 AM
Mark: would have looked great really segmented, or with the pyro..the shape is all slouchy and interesting. I think this stands out from the crowd. The pyro simple, but extremely effective. Good lookin"

John Keeton
04-06-2011, 7:09 AM
Mark, I will agree on the shoulder, but for some reason, the carving of the downward pointing triangles compliments the form very well. Had they been reversed, the shoulder may have been an issue. As is, I think it works. Great work on the carving and pyro. What type of carver do you use? If I am going to do any significant carving work, looks like I need to think about that.

Bob Rotche
04-06-2011, 7:29 AM
Not sure I agree with your concern about the shoulder. I think John nailed it with the downward pointing triangles pulling the whole thing together. I think it is a very attractive piece and saved the pic for future reference. Well done!

Fred Belknap
04-06-2011, 8:40 AM
Great work and nice detail on carving and burnings. My first thought was that it was upside down.:D

philip labre
04-06-2011, 8:50 AM
Mark, really nice form and a great job on the embellishments.

Baxter Smith
04-06-2011, 1:03 PM
Very nice work Mark. The wood is great and all the embellishments fit nicely!

Thom Sturgill
04-06-2011, 1:15 PM
Nice piece! I did one with the same problem (drooping appearance) , but worse and have never been happy with it.
Since that piece I remove the rough-out and look at it standing upright before mounting it for hollowing and have returned several to the lathe for re-shaping. things just do not always look the same when you change the orientation!

I'm with John on the triangles helping, and also interested in carving tools. I have a dremel-style tool but am considering a power-carver too.

Mark Hubl
04-06-2011, 4:32 PM
What type of carver do you use?

... also interested in carving tools. I have a dremel-style tool but am considering a power-carver too.

Thanks guys. I use a little bit of everything. I too have a dremel with a couple of flexible shafts. One is a carver shaft. I found it to be a little weak in the knees on power and you can burn up the tool pretty quickly. I now use a Master Carver flex tool and an Automach carver. On the piece I also used, heaven forbid, a v chisel. The automach and mastercarver are nice and beefy. If I ever get into doing lots of fine piercing I think I would look into an air powered tool. But they are very pricey.

John Hart
04-06-2011, 8:12 PM
I'm thinking that the shoulder appears odd is because the carving sorta asks for a curve transition. Maybe that's why it looked better on the lathe. When I try to block the carving out my mind, the form seems quite correct. Just babbling.:o I really like this piece.:)

Bob Bergstrom
04-06-2011, 8:38 PM
Carving and pyro work really make the piece. Taking the piece off the lathe and placing a white board behind it can help in noticing those subtle differences. Is that another piece of butternut? Also I just sent you an email

Curt Fuller
04-06-2011, 9:16 PM
Oh my gosh that's nice! Of all the SW pieces I've seen I think this one hits the mark closest to what I consider a Native American pottery design. That's just beautiful!

David E Keller
04-06-2011, 9:26 PM
I like it! It is a bit squat, but I think that's one of the reasons that I like it. The inked areas look really good, and the detail is very crisp. Nice work... If you ever decide to post a carving tutorial, I'd imagine that several of us would be interested in viewing it.

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Mark - I like it! Pretty wood and very nice work on your design ring! I really like the contrast between textured and flat triangle areas! I do like the form but can see where moving the design ring up or down just a bit would drastically change the look.

Looking forward to seeing whats next!

Mark Hubl
04-07-2011, 1:19 PM
Thanks all. I want to get some more butternut and do a couple of more pieces like this. May make a nice trio.

would have looked great really segmented

Michelle, thanks. Someday I will try segmenting I just have not worked up the courage, also that would mean that I would have to clean off my table saw and find all the stuff that goes with it.:D Now that might be a challenge.

If you ever decide to post a carving tutorial, I'd imagine that several of us would be interested in viewing it.

Thanks David. My carving skills are pretty rudimentary. This piece really just has some lines. Now if it is carving you crave, check out the stickies over on the carving forum. The latest is unbelievable.

jwjerry w kowalski
04-07-2011, 4:29 PM
I really like it, the shade of wood and pyro compliment each other well. It's a piece I'm enjoying just looking at for a few minutes, great job. Sure wish I could take photos like you do, first class all the way.

Jim Adkins
04-07-2011, 4:54 PM
Mark....You say "not based on any particular symbology"......I think I've figured this one out. It looks to me like it might be rooted to the Hubl Tribe that once roamed the rolling plains of Illinois!! Nice form, great design, great job....congrats to you.

David DeCristoforo
04-07-2011, 6:09 PM
If I had to pick a favorite "Mark Hubl" turning, this probably would not be the one. Partly, it's that I'm not all that excited about Southwestern forms and partly that I'm still new enough to turning that I'm still fascinated by the "pure form". Maybe I'll get tired of that after a while and start using embellishments like carving and engraving. Still, that's "just me" and this is really a very nice piece of work.

Mark Hubl
04-08-2011, 12:25 AM
might be rooted to the Hubl Tribe that once roamed the rolling plains of Illinois!!

Thanks Jim. You have probably forgotten more about SW art then I will ever know. As far as rolling, that may be a stretch, the folks north of here don't call us flat landers for nothin.

If I had to pick a favorite "Mark Hubl" turning, this probably would not be the one. Partly, it's that I'm not all that excited about Southwestern forms and partly that I'm still new enough to turning that I'm still fascinated by the "pure form". Maybe I'll get tired of that after a while and start using embellishments like carving and engraving. Still, that's "just me" and this is really a very nice piece of work.

Thanks David. Not my favorite either. I was pleased with the embellishment and finish on this one. I thought the form lacked something, well a couple of things. I find SW intriguing because it is something we as turners can replicate. Many of the older forms are not just beautiful, but form followed function, plus the art and history are interesting for me. I agree about form. Embellishments don't hide bad form, one must start with something that is "right" to the eye. I am only in my Junior year of this sport, and I am pretty much a "Sybil" turner. I don't stay focused on any one form too long. But as I jump around I always try and improve my turning skills. I have a suppressed inner carver that has been hanging around since I was a kid. So I am intrigued by how I can improve and integrate my skills. I think that is one of the things so intriguing about turning, it offers such flexibility in the work product. From functional to full blown multi medium artwork. All the paths are there.