PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw gloat!

Joe Shinall
04-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Well as some of you know, I was in the market for a 17" bandsaw and was looking at the Grizzly series since I had the %10 coupon. After I moved up through the line of 17" bandsaws, I finally made my decision. On a 19"....

My G0514X2 came in today. It was on backorder through April 29th and I got a shipment notification on it on the 1st. Very happy it came in early. It was packed with popsicle sticks but UPS handled it great and it had no damage at all. The UPS guy couldn't get it in the garage on the pallet jack because of the height so he left it right outside the door so I could take it apart and muscle it in.

It was very easy to put together. Tells you that you need two guys for the table and recommends to take the blade off but I did it by myself and slid the blade through the slot in the table then rotated the table with no problems. It is very solid. The miter gauge is junk, just like any other factory miter gauge. I really do like the resaw fence though, but have to figure out if it's adjustable because it's off by an inch and a half according to the tape.

I have yet to fire it up. I have to wire it up and did not have the plug or wire so that will hopefully happen tomorrow. I spent an hour putting it on a HTC 2000 mobile base. I like these mobile bases for my jointer and planer. They are junk for this bandsaw. It sways on it and the flip stops will not support the weight, even though they are rated to 700 lbs. I'm guessing its the length I had to stretch the base to.

Does anyone have suggestions on a heavy duty mobile base? I was looking at the Shop Fox 1300 lb capacity but I've heard bad things about the wheels busting.190402190403190404190405190406

Joe Shinall
04-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Bump.

Anyone with mobile base advice? Anyone? Buehler? Buehler????

Richard Coers
04-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I'll be curious to see how yours runs. Mine goes back to Grizzly tomorrow if UPS Freight cooperates. I don't know if Grizzly likes these on mobile bases. The manual talks about bolting to the floor, and mine sure could have used it to limit vibration. You might talk to Grizzly to see what they suggest.

Joe Shinall
04-06-2011, 11:14 PM
They did suggest bolting to the floor. But they did say if I did go mobile base to do the heavy duty 1300 pound capacity base and the tech mentioned that adding a sandbag in each corner on top of the edges of the saw would help with any vibration. I have heard of this before as well and had thought about it. But I have one of these mobile bases on my drum sander that I just bought and am not happy with the way it works, which is why I was asking for more suggestions.

I tuned it up today and fired it up. Even on the HTC there is no vibration. I stood a nickel up on the table and it didn't move. With the stock blade I split a 6 inch piece of oak and man did that thing cut like butter. No drift at all that I could tell. Wheels are running true right out of the crate.

I seriously think you just got a lemon machine.

Aaron Berk
04-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Very nice.

The BS section in my Griz catalog is all weathered and torn. I've been oogling those 17s and 19s for awhile.

I'm a BIG fan of home built bases, no aftermarket mobile bases suit my fancy.
I like job specific items.

Rick Cicciarelli
04-07-2011, 12:30 AM
There is a 17" G0513X2B with my name on it as soon as I have an extra $1k. I would go with a 19", but I think even with the 17" I may run into issues fitting it in my basement with the clearance I have to work with in floor joists. I refuse to go less than 17" though, so if I need to, one of those floor joists will just have to be removed :)

Bill Carbonti
04-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Congrats on a very nice saw. I agree with making your own mobile base and used the design posted here by a fellow member. 2x1 square steel bolted together rolling on casters from Great Lakes Caster. It cost $32 in rectangular steel stock, $96 for the casters (I went deluxe) and $5 in nuts&bolts from Lowes. Black gloss Rustoleum I already had in the garage.

Cheers

David Wong
04-07-2011, 1:02 AM
To the OP's question about mobile bases for bandsaws, check out this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?119068-Mobile-Base-for-Bandsaw) thread. I build a similar one for my Felder FB540, the difference being that I bolted the base to the sides of the bandsaw instead of having the bandsaw sit on the base. I did this so that I could reduce the height gain of the table. I was lucky that the Felder has existing 15mm hole on the side used for it's mobility kit. This was my first project working with metal, and I am not sure I would do it again. It was a pain to cut everything with a hacksaw, and drilling the holes in the square tubing was tedious. My paint job did not turn out anywhere near as nice as the original posters mobile base. For my jointer, I bought a Rockler's all terrain base.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_Gd7AkEJBmGU/TZ1COg1565I/AAAAAAAAAHs/cZRbqqQr4WM/s800/DSCF3231.jpg

Carl Babel
04-07-2011, 1:05 AM
What about a Hoverpad Air Cushion Mobile Base? These things are rated to 2000 pounds and when they aren't floating machinery, they are perfectly flat.
I have never owned one, but I have helped move around a big piece of lab equipment (I think it border on 1.5 tons) that was floating on a couple of these - it was amazingly stable and easy to move.

Cary Falk
04-07-2011, 1:56 AM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0191.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0192-1.jpg

Norman Hitt
04-07-2011, 5:37 AM
+1 on the Great Lakes Castors. I mounted them on my MM 20, and they just screwed into the tapped holes at the corners of the saw's base. (not at home, so I can't provide pictures). I like them because even though all four castors swivel, the stationary pads remain centered directly under the attachment bolts when screwed down to the floor, no matter which way the wheels are pointed, which keeps the machine balanced when in the fixed location mode.

Richard Coers
04-07-2011, 9:37 AM
Real happy for you, congrats!!!!

Joe Shinall
04-07-2011, 4:23 PM
Some really good ideas there. Thanks for the pics and links. I am looking into that square tubing and making my own. I like that setup and it seems like it would be really stable.

Paul McGaha
04-07-2011, 5:11 PM
Congratulations on the new saw Joe. It's a beauty.

I see you plan to build your own mobile base. I have a few tools on mobile bases. I think the one I like the most really is on my shaper and it's a Delta. I't can do a full size shaper or unisaw. I'm not sure if it work on a tall bandsaw though.

PHM

Brian Kincaid
04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I have the Grizz 21" on the Super Heavy Duty Shop fox base. It has metal wheels. Works great for me. I can push it around with 1 hand.
-Brian

Anthony Whitesell
04-08-2011, 12:22 PM
I put my G0513X2 on a Jet Mobile base (current part number 708118 JMB-UMB) because I didn't like the lift and tilt of saw on the other bases. There's also a HD version now. You can find info through amazon and on the Jet website.

Joe Shinall
04-08-2011, 2:14 PM
Thanks Anthony. How well do the wheels lock in place? Do you have any sliding with the wheels locked?

glenn bradley
04-08-2011, 4:04 PM
My G0513X is on the heavy duty Shop Fox and it is pretty inadequate. I have only moved the saw twice and have removing the mobile base in my list.

Tom Matthews
04-08-2011, 8:10 PM
I realize the G0514X2 is ~70lb heavier, but I have my G0513X2 on an HTC 2000 base and don't have any problem with the using the levers to lift the saw and move it. No vibration at all, with or without the stand. I wouldn't be surprised if I have the footprint of my stand similar to what yours is too - I made some "risers" to raise the whole saw up so it was a little more comfortable to use since I am quite tall. The risers increase the footprint of the saw to close to what the G0514X2 would be.

I'm pretty happy with the base actually. I'd be happier if I had waited two weeks and picked it up on sale for $50 at Woodcraft, but such is life.

I'm glad to hear the included saw blade was sharp. Mine was really, really, bad. I did a similar test (split a 6" tall board) and it seemed like I was burning my way through the block. It was really apparent how dull the blade was once I installed a Lenox blade.

Brian Effinger
04-08-2011, 8:15 PM
Congrats Joe. :) I have your saw's baby brother (the 13x2) and it is on a regular Rockler base, and has worked well over the past year.

Anthony Whitesell
04-08-2011, 8:24 PM
Thanks Anthony. How well do the wheels lock in place? Do you have any sliding with the wheels locked?

I don't get any sliding with the wheels locked. I have a bare smooth concrete floor. The saw is easy enough to move but heavy enough that it doesn't move on it's own if the wheels aren't locked. I'm not sure if mine are even locked now. I suggest that once the saw is in place on the base you drill through the corner brackets using the shipping holes and bolt it down. It adds a fair amount of stiffness to the base.

Jim Barstow
04-09-2011, 12:54 PM
when did you order it? I ordered mine on 1/29/2011 and they said it won't be in until May.

Douglas Clark
04-09-2011, 6:36 PM
Congrats on the saw Joe. I just got a new bandsaw from Grizzly too, although mine is just a baby saw compared to yours. But it's fun to get new toys... er, tools, isn't it?!

As far as that HTC 2000 Base? Are you sure it's the 2000 and not the 3000 that you have, because the 2000 is only rated for 400 lbs. Which means the 514x2 would definitely be pushing it's limits.

Anyway, I purchased the 3000 locally, in anticipation of getting the 513X2B but then when the backorder took to long I downgraded to a G0555x so I could get the saw sooner. I thought about returning the 3000 thinking it would be way overkill until I put it together. But, I'm glad I kept the heavier rated base, even for the smaller saw, because I think the 700 lbs. rating is very generous. Which makes me think that the 400 lbs. rating for the 2000 is probably generous too. If I end up getting a bigger saw later, I think I'm gonna go the custom made route (I have a bro-in-law who's a pretty good machinist and welder). Those bigger bandsaws clearly need a higher quality stand than most of the prefab stuff that's out there.

Kevin J Lalonde
04-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I just got my 513x2 in a couple of days ago also. Runs greats making a mobile base with angle iron as we speak. BUT my measurement tape that came with the table is off by 1 3/8" also. What gives?? Did we both mount something wrong? Anyone know anything about this problem?

Joe Shinall
04-10-2011, 1:11 AM
Thanks for that suggestion Anthony. I was really looking at that mobile base as well and might have to do some research on those.

Douglas, HTC website rates the 2000 at 500 pounds. I have a 2000 on my 15" planer which is 400 lbs and my 8" jointer which is 390. And this is only about 30 lbs heavier than my planer and I have absolutely no problem with the planer or jointer.

Kevin, there's no way to adjust it. I spent all afternoon trying to figure it out. There's only about 1/2 inch of adjustment possible with the oval holes in the front rail. I'm beginning to think I'm just gonna have to mark where "0" is on that tape and adjust from there and just be smart about using my math.

Jim I ordered mine in early March. I posted on your other thread. They originally said April 29th but it shipped on the first. I really don't understand why you haven't gotten yours.

Douglas Clark
04-10-2011, 1:21 AM
My mistake on the 2000. It would seem Amazon has their specs wrong on that one. Curiously the 2000 has a much better review rating than the 3000, which makes me wonder why the difference. Either way, good luck with figuring Out the base situation but more importantly have fun with that big 'ole saw!

Joe Shinall
04-10-2011, 8:44 PM
Yeah Douglas. Depends on the website you go to as to what ratings you get on those. Woodcraft had the weight off as well. I am also curious as to why the 3000 has bad ratings because I would go that route but am iffy about it. Thanks, I hope I figure something out too and I will have lots of fun with this saw!