PDA

View Full Version : ? anchor seal 2 vs. the original

Bill Bolen
04-05-2011, 9:54 PM
Going to order anchorseal tomorrow and was wondeing if anyone could tell me the difference between the new stuff and the original. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the new stuff wasn't quite as good. Thanks for any info...Bill...

Roger Chandler
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Bill,

I heard the same thing.........you need to order the anchor seal "Classic" it is what a company rep said to someone and they still make it and say it is the best for wood turners. I do not know if Woodcraft still sells the classic, but it is available from the manufacturer in 5 gal. buckets.

Ryan Baker
04-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah, get the classic if you can. The new stuff is even runnier, and does a much worse job of stopping the splitting. It seems worse in every way. Woodcraft (at least around here) only carries the new stuff. You can order it from the manufacturer, but you need to buy a lot to make it worth the cost of shipping.

Jake Helmboldt
04-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Yeah, get the classic if you can. The new stuff is even runnier, and does a much worse job of stopping the splitting. It seems worse in every way. Woodcraft (at least around here) only carries the new stuff. You can order it from the manufacturer, but you need to buy a lot to make it worth the cost of shipping.

+1 - not happy with the new formula

Brian Effinger
04-06-2011, 12:20 AM
My club got a 55 gallon drum this spring (UC Coatings is here in town), and it was the new formula. I guess it is a little more environmentally friendly and has some sort of winterizer in it. I have a few gallons that I've been using, and it does seem a more watery than the original. Like the others, I don't think it does as good of a job as the original. Next time we order, I'm going to recommend we get the classic formula.

Jack Gaskins
04-06-2011, 5:05 AM
I just recieved my 5 gallon pail of Classic version from the manufacture. Cost was $80 and that included shipping. Woodcraft wants $25 for 1 freaking gallon of AS II. Rocklers green wood sealer is $36 a gallon !!! Holy crap these retailers are expensive.

Dan Hintz
04-06-2011, 6:00 AM
The original formula was tweaked to get rid of petroleum products in the carrier... a "greener" version, if you will. The problem is the new formulation allows for a higher rate of evaporation, leading to cracks and checking. To prevent it, you have to use multiple coats, something not required with the original. I paid $74 for a 5-gal bucket a month ago... they said prices were going up the following week, and Jack's purchase price seems to bear that out. Winterizer is available in all formulas... it's based upon destination and time of year it's being shipped. Mine came with winterizer.

Ken Hill
04-06-2011, 6:08 AM
Ive had mixed results with the new formula....and would agree fully with what Dan has posted.

I have also formed the opinion that when using the new formula on really wet wood, it takes multiple coats. What I dont know due to not having used the original is if it is the same way or not. The AS2 does penetrate, as I have looked closely at some of the blanks ive sealed but even those blanks checked badly even with the pith removed. Ive had so many requests to sell blanks but have held off due to this, especially with the Oak variety. I have a gallon of the original enroute and feel pretty confident it will preform better.

Donny Lawson
04-06-2011, 6:25 AM
I need to get some myself. I mentioned this a while back about it not being as good as the origonial. UC Coatings have a website?

Bill Blasic
04-06-2011, 7:14 AM
I personally have seen no difference in the ability of the new formulation to do what it was designed for. My club is on its second 55 Gallon drum and I have heard no complaints as to it being any different than the original for doing what it was designed for. I have about half of my second 5 gallon pail left. The price for a gallon - $6, that is one of the good points to belonging to a club.
Bill

Bill Bolen
04-06-2011, 1:22 PM
Thanks all. I called uc coatings and got 5 gal of classic. Shipped was $81. Still beats WC or Rockler plus I don't have to drive for an hour.

Richard Jones
04-07-2011, 1:41 PM
Based on this, I also ordered directly from ucc, spoke with Ned, 5 gals of classic for $81, including shipping. Nice folks for sure. And as Bill said above, I don't have to drive an hour to spend more at WC.......

My thanks to all as well.

Rich

Jonathan Spool
04-07-2011, 2:22 PM
I am so thrilled to find out that the new formula is sub standard to the original. Especially since I just took delivery of two 5 gallon buckets of the new and improved stuff a month ago!

Dan Hintz
04-07-2011, 2:30 PM
Jonathan,

Just be prepared to put on an extra coat when the first dries... it won't go to waste, you'll just use it up faster than originally planned.

ed hoxter
04-07-2011, 3:25 PM
the new stuff is ok if, you put on about 50 coats. ed

Jonathan Spool
04-07-2011, 4:20 PM
Great. Nothing I like better than doing a job twice! Anyone have any suggestions that will thicken the stuff up?

Dan Hintz
04-07-2011, 5:05 PM
Let some of the carrier evaporate?