PDA

View Full Version : "Just resting up" - the sequel

John Keeton
04-05-2011, 6:57 PM
I enjoyed seeing Roger's new rest selection, and indicated that I would post pics of the rests that Jeff Nicol made for me. I hope doing this doesn't create a problem for Jeff, as I do know he is trying to slow down and get caught up on some things.

The lengths are 10", 5" and the super low profile one in the middle is 6" - a new design by Jeff that should be perfect for finial work. I will need to shorten the post a little, as the banjo on the Jet will not permit the use of the longer post. Nice color matching, too!

The new steady was one Jeff already had made up to fit a Jet, so my timing was perfect!!

Thanks, Jeff - big time!! And, thanks for the "extra" chunk of oak in the box. You are not only an excellent craftsman, but a heck of a nice guy!

Tim Thiebaut
04-05-2011, 7:05 PM
Very nice John, now you just need to get all of those things dusty!

Brian McInturff
04-05-2011, 7:07 PM
Nice set there John. Looks like Jeff did an excellent job. I have the Robust rests like those and they are great to work with. I do like the low profile one you have. I guess when Jeff eventually gets caught up I'll have to see about getting one of those. That steady rest is pretty awesome looking. How heavy is it?

Roger Chandler
04-05-2011, 7:10 PM
I am liking these John, especially the super low profile......that ought to give you plenty of up close support for the tool and for backside pressure on a finial from your index finger. That steady rest is about as good as it gets.

One thing......you could take a drill bit [1 inch] and drill that hole in the banjo and that long post will go all the way down.......if you have a drill press then it would be a lot easier than cutting the post shorter, and with the drill press table set correctly you could guarantee a perfect 90 degree hole. I would measure the post with a caliper to see if it is a couple of thousandths over also.

gary Zimmel
04-05-2011, 7:39 PM
Those delivery vans just don't stop coming up your driveway....
Looks like your ready to go again John. When the first tiny finial coming off that big beast...

Chris Stolicky
04-05-2011, 8:00 PM
Congrats. My spring project is to make a steady similar to that for my 1642. Now, go rough out a huge piece of sloppy wet wood and make a nice mess! Enjoy.

John Keeton
04-05-2011, 8:02 PM
Gary and Tim, I am giving thought to another turning as we speak!! Just gotta get out the ol' sketch pad.

Roger, the clamp down mechanism on the banjo goes right thru the middle as I suspect it does on most of them. The post bottoms out on the horizontal rod. It will be easy enough to cut the post off a little on the low profile rest.

Brian, the steady is rock solid, and a bit heavy, but not at all difficult to handle.

Ryan Baker
04-05-2011, 8:59 PM
That middle picture is funny. The angle makes the post look huge! The rests look great though.

Baxter Smith
04-05-2011, 9:18 PM
Jeff does some pretty work for sure!

Thomas Canfield
04-05-2011, 9:53 PM
You mean that you were waiting for those tool rests to turn? Looks like that excuse is no longer of any validity. Good looking rests. Jeff does make a good steady rest, and I suggest you look into a float tube (about $2 at Wal-Mart) and cut some sections to go on the extended square tubing to cushion the ends. Looking forward to a good size hollow form soon. Do you have any deeper hollowing tools, or is that the next delivery? It never ends.

Cathy Schaewe
04-05-2011, 9:56 PM
Nice! I like the low-profile rest. I have to second your comment - I've never gotten a shipment from Jeff that didn't have lots of extras in it - and the quality (particularly vs. the price) can't be beat -

Brian Effinger
04-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Nice rests, especially that little one in the middle. That should come in handy. :)

I wonder if a little shameless begging on my part would get Jeff to send me one of these? :rolleyes:

Lupe Duncan
04-06-2011, 2:02 AM
Very cool John. Those look like some solid rests.

Michelle Rich
04-06-2011, 6:33 AM
wow, that steady looks like it's built for the ages. Super accessories. How is Mrs. K's new Escalade?;)

Fred Perreault
04-06-2011, 6:48 AM
John.... great looking gear. You have the toys, now it's time to play

Roland Martin
04-06-2011, 7:24 AM
Wow, even color coordinated:). Escalade?? that was one expensive lathe setup!;) All are very well done rests, Jeff is certainly a well-rounded craftman. BTW, is that a bit of dust I see on the ways?

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2011, 8:12 AM
Wow - very nice work on all the tools Jeff! First word that came to mind when seeing these photos was 'Pretty' and if that is a word you can use to describe tools - then it certainly applies here!

Let us know how you like everything once you have had a chance to use them!