PDA

View Full Version : Stl. Mo. area free Walnut and Cherry

Bill Bolen
04-05-2011, 6:34 PM
Guess this qualifies as a stealth gloat. The little town I live in is doing a road project and are taking down 12 big Walnut trees and 2 nice Cherry tress today. Tomorrow they are taking a huge Sycamore and 2 more big Walnut trees. I have filled my 5’X10’ trailer twice and am going back for more tomorrow. There is way more than I could ever turn all of the wood available. So there is free Walnut and Cherry available. The crew will even load it in your transport to get it gone. All the photo’s are from my first load. The big Walnut piece by the stone wall is 30” wide and 4’ long. Took 4 of us to roll it onto the trailer. This wood is in Eureka Mo. If you are interested just pm me and I’ll give the exact location. After 2 loads I have enough for years of turning but I can’t help myself and I’m going for more!…Bill…

John Keeton
04-05-2011, 7:00 PM
Bill, you are a true wood addict!!! Great haul, and great opportunity for folks close by. That is going to make some wonderful turnings.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-05-2011, 7:35 PM
Nice haul of wood Bill, but that Walnut seems to indicate that there is metal in that big piece of wood, just be careful with sawing, I spend half an hour re-sharpening my bandsaw yesterday, as I ran into some nails when sawing Beechwood, 4 times and the last two were thick nails :-((

Bill Bolen
04-05-2011, 8:02 PM
Sharp Eye Leo! The 2 big butts had barb wire grown into them. That is why they only got cut half way through and why we had to roll them onto the trailer. The cutter had dulled 2 chains and wasn't going for another. I sharpened up an old chain and after clearing what wire was visiable managed to get through it with no trouble. Going for Anchor seal at WC tomorrow and just maybe that new 20" chainsaw!!

Dan Forman
04-05-2011, 8:18 PM
Great haul. I would dearly love to come into a nice bunch of walnut. Long drive from here though. :D

Dan

Baxter Smith
04-05-2011, 9:07 PM
Lets see, 950 miles oneway so 1900 miles at 16 mpg. So at 425 for gas, I should probably bring my trailer too. Should pick up a spare so......and with the barbwire, some extra chains.. Guess I am not as tempted as I first thought!

Cathy Schaewe
04-05-2011, 9:45 PM
Nice! I used to live in St. Louis (Richmond Heights). Sure do miss it - especially the weather, at this time of year! Enjoy your haul!

David E Keller
04-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Looks like a great opportunity to get some sizable chunks of wood... Congrats!

Brian Brown
04-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Wish I was in Eureka, MO. :(:(:( Great haul, Can't get either species here.

Bill Bolen
04-06-2011, 9:24 AM
I've happily had several pm's for the location. Glad to see the wood going to someplace other than the chipper. The wood is located on Forby rd just east of the intersection with Meramec Blvd. Right next to the road and in front of the horse stables. Come and get it folks...Bill..

Baxter Smith
04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Still trying to tempt me? Great haul Brian! Enjoy!

Bill Bolen
04-06-2011, 1:29 PM
Jeez Baxter, with all the burls and other beautiful wood you have been posting of late maybe I need to load the trailer and head for Deleware. As a side note when I first stopped yesterday the crew had cut a huge 30" wide by 5' long Walnut log into 6" long pieces! I cried on the spot. It was solid all the way through and no barbed wire either...Bill...

Richard Madden
04-06-2011, 1:35 PM
I probably should go get some of this, I'm only 45 min. away. Problem is I already have quite a bit of wood laying around. I'll no doubt regret passing on this. Thanks for the temptation anyway.

Rusty Smith
04-07-2011, 4:32 PM
I've been needing an excuse to visit my brother-in-law in St. Charles, however after the verbal lashing I took from LOML when I brought the three massive maple chunks home I had better pass. I sure need some walnut though....