PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl Tripod Box

jwjerry w kowalski
04-05-2011, 5:28 PM
This maple burl was given to me by my neighbor, it was around 2' x 4'. I made her a 20" natural edge bowl as a thank you. I was trying to think of something a little out of the ordinary and then it came to me, just turn an upside down vase and carve out the tripod legs with a french curve. It seems some people like it and some don't care for the style, they think it's too Far Eastern. Oh well, win some, lose some. I still have lots of this burl left for future projects, although it does have a lot of fissures or small cracks I guess you would call them. Yeah I was pretty happy with the wood.

Maria Alvarado
04-05-2011, 5:33 PM
Personally, I think it's too see-through...;-)

jwjerry w kowalski
04-05-2011, 5:35 PM
I lost the picture somehow. Hope this uploads this time.

Baxter Smith
04-05-2011, 9:14 PM
Now that is out of the ordinary! Cool piece. I don't know what to study first!

David Reed
04-05-2011, 9:34 PM
Very exotic and pretty wood to boot. Kind of reminds me of something from India or thereabouts and expect to see a few hoses and some smoke emerging from it, but that's just me.

Cathy Schaewe
04-05-2011, 9:49 PM
Wow - it reminds me of an old piece of furniture - something I would have seen in my grandparents' house. Interesting.

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2011, 10:46 PM
That's really different! Lots going on with this one and for some reason it reminds me of something I would expect to see in the Disney classic 'Fantasia' or something from 'Alice in Wonderland' - where the furniture can walk around! Cool stuff!

Jim Burr
04-05-2011, 10:51 PM
This is a very active piece Jerry! Beautiful wood and the carved feet are real cool. Not a style you see everyday and I like it!

David E Keller
04-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Way to get outside the box, Jerry. I think it's a cool looking piece!

Lupe Duncan
04-06-2011, 2:12 AM
Pretty unique Jerry , looks like its squatting.

i Like it a-lot.

John Keeton
04-06-2011, 8:01 AM
Jerry, the workmanship in this piece is superb! I love the wood, and the design elements are really unique. While it is not something one sees everday, I think it has a certain appeal to it. I kind of agree with Steve's assessment of a Disney inspired piece.

Roland Martin
04-06-2011, 2:29 PM
Very imaginative, Jerry. The wood is very, very nice and the overall design is definitely unique, maybe an Arabian flair to it? Very well done and thanks for posting.