PDA

View Full Version : Mortise depth of hinges on a small box

Bill Rogers
04-05-2011, 3:53 PM
I am in the process of cutting the mortises for 3/4" x 5/8" hinges that I will install on a small box. How deep do I cut the mortises? Should the be half of the barrel diameter?

Bill

Chris Fournier
04-05-2011, 4:11 PM
Wait until you have the hinges and set the mortise depth off of them! One of the Cardinal Rules, get the components in house before you start the project. If you don't there can be some pretty nasty consequences. I've broken the Rule...

Bill Rogers
04-05-2011, 4:21 PM
I have the hinges. I am trying to determine how deep I cut the mortises!!

Bill

Neal Clayton
04-05-2011, 4:38 PM
that depends on how the front will close. the line around the lid should be consistent. if there's a strike or something on the front of the box that keeps the lid elevated a bit, the hinge mortises should be set to such a depth that you wind up with a consistent elevation in the back. if it's gonna be flush in the front, they should be flush in the back.

obviously it's a one shot deal that you have to sneak up on to make sure you don't overdo it. so make a jig with a corner stop on one end that is easily applied/removed/reapplied for another cut.

lowell holmes
04-05-2011, 6:22 PM
I make the depth the thickness of the hinge with the barrel sticking out the back. If you make them too deep, the lid will be hinge bound and the top will not close properly.

If you do make the mortise too deep, you can always shim the hinge to free it up.

Chris Fournier
04-05-2011, 6:26 PM
I read more into your question than you were asking! Not a great SMC day for me.

To answer you question, well maybe answer your question...

I tend not to go full depth which would be your 1/2 barrel diameter because there is no wiggle room then. If things aren't perfect your lid will tend to be cocked open at the front if you go right to full depth.

I like to set hinges several thousandths shallow so to speak. Truthfully, I often go to full depth for the mortise as you have outlined and I have a series of paper/plastic shims which I use to tweak the final action of the hinge/lid assembly. I find that shimming allows me to deal with any little imperfections in the base/lid fit. I cut the shims to be concealed by the barrel.

While I am fiddling with the shims and action I use one size of screw smaller than the screws which will stay put for good. When I have everything as I want it I use the proper screws and they have plenty of bite.