PDA

View Full Version : NE Cherry Burl HF

Baxter Smith
04-05-2011, 1:15 PM
Hope that a “caution” wasn’t necessary in the title. Thought if I posted a picture of only one you know what, it wouldn’t trigger any health issues in some of you.;):)
Roughed this out last spring. The top of the tree with the burl in it had snapped off and been hung up for several years. A lot of the bark was gone and much of the sapwood was pretty punky. Wanted to try a NE HF so soaked it with a lot of CA glue. It looked pretty ugly after it was roughed out. Almost got rid of the NE when finish turning but once the edge got thin it didn’t look as bad.
I have plenty of holly to use for finials but have always colored it black (seems like black goes with everything). Didn't know if it would go but wanted to try it natural. The white color also matched the remaining sapwood on the burl until the AO hit it. Because the white was such a contrast with the cherry I added a couple pieces of burl to it. (Also just wanted to try it.:D)
The hf looks okay but I am not sure about the finial. Enlighten me with your thoughts! I turned a plain holly pedestal that was somewhat similar. Didn’t think it was quite right, although I should have taken a picture with it. I was considering turning another one when some other wood appeared that needs to be roughed out. Not complaining mind you,:) but I was kind of enjoying finishing a few roughouts.
Comments and critiques welcome! They have been very helpful and are greatly appreciated!
9 w x 8 h finished with AO.

Russell Eaton
04-05-2011, 1:24 PM
Baxter that is another fine job. I like the finial with the accent, it blends well to the piece. Thanks for showing and inspiring a new turner.

Richard Kennedy UK
04-05-2011, 1:29 PM
Fabulous pieces I wouldn't dare turn the final bowl How on earth did it stay in one piece?????

Tim Rinehart
04-05-2011, 1:51 PM
Baxter, really nice work ... again!! Your detail work really shows in the well proportioned finials. I like the whiteness contrast, it looks good. Better than I would have envisioned it were I trying that.

Mark Hubl
04-05-2011, 1:52 PM
Very nice Baxter. Another great looking trio. I love the holly finial. Really good looking stuff.

Mike Golka
04-05-2011, 2:06 PM
Baxter, those are realy nice. You did justice to the burls.

Roger Chandler
04-05-2011, 2:28 PM
Nice form..........I like the natural edge and the natural holly finial. The additions in the finial of the cherry do set it off, I think. Not the easiest forms to produce, especially with punky wood to deal with. This has a bit of uniqueness about it, which makes it all the better.

John Keeton
04-05-2011, 2:29 PM
Great job, Baxter!! You may recall a piece I did with a BLM burl and holly pedestal and finial. I would have dyed it brown, but at the insistence of Steve S. and Ms. Keeton, they remained natural. It ended up a very pleasing combination.

I am not totally sure about the top piece of inset burl in the finial, but I love the overall look!! And, the final pic of the trio is straight out of a magazine - fantastic!!

Tim Thiebaut
04-05-2011, 2:57 PM
Wow Baxter this is fantastic, you did an awesome job on this, and as John said the last picture could be a magazine cover.

Dan Forman
04-05-2011, 3:06 PM
Sweet form and finial. I'm with John on that last little cherry bit on top of the finial, may be a little too much of a good thing, but that's a niggle.

Dan

jeremy levine
04-05-2011, 4:00 PM
Fine work, really nice to look at

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2011, 4:21 PM
Baxter - this one sure is pleasing to the eyes! Very nice work! I like the finial being a lighter color. I am afraid that if it were dyed black, you would lose a lot of definition of the burl insets. With the finial being light colored - the burl really pops! I tend to agree that the very top element may be just a bit much as it adds additional curves in an area you expects to see dramatic tapering. JMO.

Very nice work! Agree that the last photo looks like a magazine cover! Now you just need to find one of the major magazines that are looking for a good cover! Thanks for sharing!

Fred Belknap
04-05-2011, 5:11 PM
Baxter that is one of the nicest I have seen.

Steve Vaughan
04-05-2011, 5:31 PM
Baxter, you are funny! Here's what you said - "Enlighten me with your thoughts!" Are you kidding me? And so, here's what I say - "You enlighten us every time you post something! Just look at what you've done here!" Those are really beautiful pieces and so very well done. Thank you!

jwjerry w kowalski
04-05-2011, 5:48 PM
Baxter,
That is a great looking box, I love the contrast of the finial and the natural edge, and everything about it. I'm starting to feel like the village idiot after seeing these exquisite turnings that have been posted recently.

David DeCristoforo
04-05-2011, 5:54 PM
I really like this one. The finial works. It creates a vivid contrast with the color and "feel" of the form. It makes me think of a "high tech" obelisk on an otherworldly landscape. The "only thing" is, to me, this piece cries out for a pedestal. I can see one in my mind with the same color scheme as the finial. But even on it's own, it's really fine.

Jim Burr
04-05-2011, 6:35 PM
I really like the finial..the little matching form out of burl...all a great look and your umpteenth billionth gallery piece!

Brian McInturff
04-05-2011, 6:52 PM
Baxter, I've gone back and looked at this several times. I really like the finial and I think the reason is because of the top burl piece. A really outstanding piece!! The last pic is perfect too. I'm also trying to figure out how you kept the "airy" piece from blowing apart just from the force of spinning. Spectacular pieces!!

John Hart
04-05-2011, 7:38 PM
I am so impressed. The execution on the hollowform is very pleasing with lots going on and it just begs to be probed and turned upside down....you know...a toy. And then the finial is striking. I agree with David that it offers a sort of high tech touch....which is in striking contrast to the earthy (or otherworldly) landscape that it resides. Right out of a Ray Bradbury story.

I wouldn't change a thing. Congratulations on a dazzling set.

Bill Bolen
04-05-2011, 8:13 PM
You really are the man now Baxter. Gorgeous and I love that white finial. Really makes the rest of the piece pop!

Curt Fuller
04-05-2011, 9:05 PM
Baxter, I like just about anything with a natural edge so you know I would like this. But I think the finial rising above the natural edge really makes it special. The finial design is great too. And the set of three is just beautiful!

David Reed
04-05-2011, 9:48 PM
You again did and exquisite job with this form. I also thought the extra burl up high on the finial is a bit too much but who's counting. I would also like to see the inner corner between the recessed "lid" and the extended sides (there must be a better name here) to be a sharper more defined transition rather than the radiused but again, that's just me. I too thought it would benefit from a finial.
Ditto re the 'cover photo' shot.

Cathy Schaewe
04-05-2011, 9:51 PM
Right out of a Ray Bradbury story.

That mars story gave me nightmares for years. This won't, though!
Baxter, it's got to be tough to get up under that shoulder -

charlie knighton
04-05-2011, 9:55 PM
Baxter,

very nice hf with final, i really like the edges that are above the hf burl top surface, really nice form with a nice wood

that's a keeper

Harry Robinette
04-05-2011, 9:58 PM
Baxter
I believe you've came up with one of the prettiest piece's I've seen in a while.I love the wood but the design is just beautiful .I would like to see it with a dark finial just to see the look but it is just beautiful just the way it is.Very nice Baxter.

Baxter Smith
04-05-2011, 9:59 PM
Thanks to all for your comments and thoughts. They are helpful and appreciated!

Fabulous pieces I wouldn't dare turn the final bowl How on earth did it stay in one piece?????
Thank you Richard. Its oak and luck!;) Seriously though, the wood that is there is very solid.

Great job, Baxter!! You may recall a piece I did with a BLM burl and holly pedestal and finial. I would have dyed it brown, but at the insistence of Steve S. and Ms. Keeton, they remained natural. It ended up a very pleasing combination.

I am not totally sure about the top piece of inset burl in the finial, but I love the overall look!! And, the final pic of the trio is straight out of a magazine - fantastic!!
I remember that one quite well John. Very distinctive in color and composition! My wife thought this one needed something brown as well. I was tempted to go with some of the old apple I had but have been wanting to give the holly a shot at being itself. I agree with you on the not quite sure part too. :)

Baxter - this one sure is pleasing to the eyes! Very nice work! I like the finial being a lighter color. I am afraid that if it were dyed black, you would lose a lot of definition of the burl insets. With the finial being light colored - the burl really pops! I tend to agree that the very top element may be just a bit much as it adds additional curves in an area you expects to see dramatic tapering. JMO.

Very nice work! Agree that the last photo looks like a magazine cover! Now you just need to find one of the major magazines that are looking for a good cover! Thanks for sharing!
I was thinking about your thoughts related to finials not competing with the form for attention when I was putting this one together. I wasn't sure if using the burl insets along with the white holly would put it over the top or not in that regard.

I really like this one. The finial works. It creates a vivid contrast with the color and "feel" of the form. It makes me think of a "high tech" obelisk on an otherworldly landscape. The "only thing" is, to me, this piece cries out for a pedestal. I can see one in my mind with the same color scheme as the finial. But even on it's own, it's really fine.
Thanks for your perspective David. It helps make it fit. I thought about doing a matching pedestal, but being unsure about how the style and color fit the piece, didn't feel like spending another day "barking up the wrong tree".
Made a plain one with simple lines that elevated the piece but that was about all it did. My wife thinks it still needs one so maybe....though I am afraid I have kind of moved on.:rolleyes:

Thanks again for all your thoughts and encouragement. Makes me want to go back to the shop. Just not tonight.:)

David E Keller
04-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Looks great to me, Baxter! I love the main form, and it's nice to see something other than the basic black finial now and then. I think I like the natural holly better than I would have something black. I like all the 'burl bling' in the finial... No such thing as too much burl. Lovely trio!

Kathy Marshall
04-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Beautiful piece Baxter! I really like how you did the finial, I think the contrast accentuates the burl.

Brian Effinger
04-06-2011, 12:28 AM
An amazing piece, Baxter. Personally, I wouldn't change, or add a thing. It appears to just float on the surface it rests on, but still be nice & solid, and I think a pedestal would just make it look tippy. The choice of undyed holly for the finial was perfect. It's a great contrast to the cherry, and I think it would just kind of blend in if it were black. Making it stand out was the right choice.

Overall, very well done. :)

Lupe Duncan
04-06-2011, 1:56 AM
WOW very cool Baxter that looks great.

Ken Hill
04-06-2011, 6:26 AM
Very nice, as well as the other pieces you have posted recently!

Michelle Rich
04-06-2011, 6:36 AM
ZOWIE Baxter..this is just first rate. It's gorgeous. Love the finial with the bowl wood insert. Looks super. I also love the pic with your 3 latest..they look so great together!!

Rick Markham
04-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Really spectacular Baxter! The finial is perfect, it flows with the form. I especially like the natural edge of this one, and that sure is some pretty cherry burl.... I have to say the "holy" bowl in the last picture really caught my eye, as well.

Rob Cunningham
04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Spectacular work Baxter.

Baxter Smith
04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
...... I would also like to see the inner corner between the recessed "lid" and the extended sides (there must be a better name here) to be a sharper more defined transition rather than the radiused but again, that's just me. .....
It was sharper David. I just kept screwing it up and didn't have much left to play with on the outside NE so went with the survival approach.:)

.....Baxter, it's got to be tough to get up under that shoulder .....-
I used a homemade hollowing tool to get there Cathy. I recently purchased the Monster System to help me finish some of the roughouts I have accumulated over the past year. I would have had to enlarge the opening more than I wanted to use it on this one.

Thanks again for all the gracious comments. Coming from all of you, it means a lot!

Roland Martin
04-06-2011, 2:21 PM
What can I say that already hasn't been said. Fantastic turning and great photography, especially the trio shot.