PDA

View Full Version : Jet Band Saw 14" stock # 708705

jeff lautenschlager
04-05-2011, 1:01 PM
Hello, I purchased a Jet 14" Band saw with a closed stand. The stock # is 708705 and the S/N is 02049140. The previous owner said the saw is around 6 years old. So far, so good I brought the saw home and bagan to familiarize myself.
I found the bearings both upper, and lower were holding the blade to the right as you look at the saw? Apparentley whoever set this up did not no what he was doing. So after going to Woodcraft, and purchasing a new blade, and setting the saw up according to the directions,that I was able to down load it works and cuts just fine.
I decided to go a bit further, I replaced the guides with cool blocks. I then proceeded to check the belt tension. Oops I probably shouldn't have looked because there are two (2) belts one long from the motor to a pulley, that almost seems like a 3 speed pulley?, and a shorter one from this pulley to the lower wheel? The manual I have, and an older manual that customer service sent me does not show 2 belts? I have tried to find a manual on line, and have tried tech support from Jet and as yet I have no info. pertaining to this slight problem? I don't see it as critical, however, I would like to know what I purchased? Does anyone have information pertaining to this? If so please let me know.
Thankyou,
Jeff
jjlaugy@hotmail.com

Joseph Tarantino
04-05-2011, 3:05 PM
..... I have tried to find a manual on line, and have tried tech support from Jet and as yet I have no info. pertaining to this slight problem......
jjlaugy@hotmail.com

sounds about right for jet service. you'll soon learn the same lesson i learned when i bought my one and only jet tool.......you bought the wrong brand. a grizz or rikon would have been a better choice, unless you got the jet for next to nothing.

lowell holmes
04-05-2011, 6:37 PM
I'm satisfied with my 14" Jet Closed stand bandsaw. It serves me well. I have the riser block and I can resaw 8 to 10 " wood easily.

My saw has a single belt. I wonder if someone changed the motor and put one in that runs at the wrong speed, causing them to need the intermediate pulley to correct the speed.

I recently replaced the belt, using a cogged belt. The cogged belt doesn't get a set and create vibrations when it gets some age on it. The belt cost about 1/3 the cost of a link belt replacement.