PDA

View Full Version : Fearsome Storms

Belinda Barfield
04-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Hope all the Creekers and their loved ones in the path of this week's storms are okay. Georgia took a pretty hard hit. We've had some pretty serious thunderstorms recently - I blame a global weather conspiracy. :D Sunday a week ago thunder woke me around 2:30. I really enjoy a good thunderstorm so, since I was awake anyway, I decided to get up and watch the show. My sunroom has a wall of windows with an expansive marsh view, so the storm watching is pretty good. We were having some spectacular lightning and something happened that I had never experienced before, I heard a sizzle and a pop just before a lightning strike. Immediately following the strike the lightbulb in the lamp on the table beside me started to glow, and glowed for about a minute. At that point I decided that perhaps I had overlooked a slight transgression which the Almighty deemed not so slight, so I climbed back in bed and hid under the cover until the storm blew over. :D

On a positive note, there is a lot less pollen (which has been the bane of my existence this spring) floating in the air.

Dan Hintz
04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
It moved through at about 80mph early this morning... up to 60mph gusts near the D.C. area. Nasty little bugger with tornado warnings over multiple counties. Don't know if any appeared, but it's not very common for us to get tornadoes.

mickey cassiba
04-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Western Tennessee got hit pretty badly, but all the kin folk have checked in, all are fine. The little town that we used to live in had a nasty twister that picked up a mobile home and dropped it on a house a few hundred feet away. So glad we moved. Hurricanes don't bother me nearly as bad as tornadoes...you've got a week or so to get out of their way.

Belinda Barfield
04-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Western Tennessee got hit pretty badly, but all the kin folk have checked in, all are fine. The little town that we used to live in had a nasty twister that picked up a mobile home and dropped it on a house a few hundred feet away. So glad we moved. Hurricanes don't bother me nearly as bad as tornadoes...you've got a week or so to get out of their way.

Glad to know everyone is okay. I agree about the hurricanes, we have plenty of notice. Tornadoes definitely instill more fear in me. We get both here. This morning with the wind and rain it was like early hurricane season.

John Hart
04-05-2011, 12:01 PM
I enjoyed our piece of the light show yesterday. Intense, spectacular, and best of all.....my electricity stayed on. :)

Belinda Barfield
04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I enjoyed our piece of the light show yesterday. Intense, spectacular, and best of all.....my electricity stayed on. :)

Electricity stayed on here as well. I was completely surprised. Normally at work our power goes off if the wind blows. We start work at 6 and the weather when I got up was just too rough . Called the shop guys and told them to wait out the storm and I'd call to let them know if we had power. Then I caught a couple of extra hours of sleep. That was nice, too!

Warren Johnson
04-05-2011, 3:57 PM
Like Dan said, a lot of hard rain in MD area. Heading down Rt 270 around 4:30 Am, saw some of the brightest and (pretty) lightning i had seen in a long time. Hope it didn't do any damage.

Danny Hamsley
04-05-2011, 8:44 PM
I spent the morning cutting up two scarlet oaks that the storm blew over. One was down across my road, so no choice but to get out the chainsaw and go to work. I will cut the biggest one on my sawmill, so all was not lost!

charlie knighton
04-05-2011, 9:41 PM
well, it rained like h*ll, from central florida up til about 40 miles of jacksonville, then was buffeted about for the rest of the day

the day before my brother called to tell me, my next door neighbor had a tree come down across is deck and above his bedroom, neighbor wanted to know how much hickory i needed

while i was down south, i had two other days where it rained all day, central florida went to below normal rainfall to above now

Angela micinski
04-05-2011, 11:12 PM
I hate the snow but I am glad we don't have to deal with anything that resembles a hurricane here in Elkhart Indiana.

Belinda Barfield
04-06-2011, 8:40 AM
Read in the paper this morning that eight lives were lost to the storm in GA. I didn't realize we got hit quite that hard.

Sean Troy
04-06-2011, 5:56 PM
9 tornadoes in Kentucky with that storm system. Thankfully for us, they were all just south of here.