PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to dust collector

bruce edwards
04-05-2011, 9:54 AM
I just got my Epilog Mini 18 delivered to me today in the Philippines. I have looked in 20+ hardware stores and builders supply stores etc but I can't find a real dust collector here!! :confused:The manual says don't use the laser without one, so I won't but I want to start using it ASAP! I'm sure this is not a great idea, but how about a shop vac for a temporary dust collector? I did do an advanced search before I posted this but most posts are about actual dust collectors from USA companies. Thank you

Mike Null
04-05-2011, 10:03 AM
A dust collector is not at all required for your laser --or anybody else's for that matter. What is required is a blower which will suck out the smoke and odor from your machine and surrounding area. Hook up a blower to the proper sized metal duct leading from the machine to where you want to exhaust the smoke and you're pretty much set.

Do not use a shop vac.

Michael Hunter
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Most people seem to use "dust collectors" as it is an easy/cheapish way to get a powerful fan. The fan usually just exhausts outside (no dust collection bag).

My Epilog dealer provided me with a different fan arrangement as part of the deal. This is an in-line centrifugal fan, as used in large air conditioning and ventilation setups. This sort of fan is generally not so powerful as the "dust collector" ones, but they have induction motors (long lasting and much quieter than brush/commutator ones) and a more efficient fan blade shape, which also helps keep the noise down.

You will need some ducting to exhaust the laser, so you could ask the same people about ventilation fans.
The Epilog manual should give an idea of the power required.

Bruce Volden
04-05-2011, 1:11 PM
My first exhaust fan was an old larger squirrel cage blower. I built an enclosure and cut out the proper size holes for the hose suction and a larger outlet for the exhaust. I mounted it outside my building--seemed like a good idea at the time, but here in South Dakota it can get a little on the cool side in the dead of winter----condensation formed from the warmer indoor temp being exhausted and froze SOLID on the fan causing an imbalance. When I turned it on the walls vibrated QUITE a bit, enough to get my attention!! Had to bring it in for the winter. You, however, won't have that problem in the PI.

Bruce

Robert Walters
04-05-2011, 9:00 PM
My Epilog dealer provided me with a different fan arrangement as part of the deal. This is an in-line centrifugal fan...

If it's one of these type fans, you might want to verify the CFM/SP required for your laser.

http://www.kalyx.com/store/images/images_J/J_736720.jpg

Bill Cunningham
04-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Those look like the vacuum cleaner motors they use in central vac systems.. They would work well, but would also be very noisy !

Robert Walters
04-06-2011, 3:05 AM
Those look like the vacuum cleaner motors they use in central vac systems.

Well, there's sucking going on at least.... they're used in "Alternative Medicinal Production" (of the organic kind) ;)

I actually contacted an engineer at the factory, they have very low static pressure.

Michael Hunter
04-06-2011, 4:10 AM
Robert - Yes, that is the style of fan that I was supplied with by my Epilog dealer.
I had a training day thrown in on the deal and even with a long length of corrugated flexible duct attached, the guy said that the exhaust was working well.
I did not think to question it at the time and it has served well for seven years now.

I wonder how people with more powerful fans cope. Mine will suck up anything light that is not fixed down - including once an anodised aluminium box (which was ruined).

Robert Walters
04-06-2011, 8:07 AM
Robert - Yes, that is the style of fan that I was supplied with by my Epilog dealer.

I wonder how people with more powerful fans cope.

Hey Michael,

Just curious, I suspect your machine has a 4" port, but...
1) what diameter is your duct?
2) How long is the duct?
3) What diameter fan are you using?
4) Are you just venting outdoors?

That's a good question, I have a speed control for mine so I can dial it in as needed.

Mike Null
04-06-2011, 8:16 AM
I have been using a similar in-line blower for 13 years. It's quiet enough I can talk on the phone while standing next to it. Mine exits the laser at 4" diameter to 6" for about an 8 foot run and back to four at the wall terminal point.

Michael Hunter
04-06-2011, 8:43 AM
Robert -

The collar at the back of the machine is about 7.5" diameter.
From this I have about 2 metres of 8" PVC spiral hose, the fan (8" connections) and then another 2 metres of hose.
(Most of the hose is scrunched up, so the effective diameter is only about 6")
At the moment it just gets stuck out of the window.

Yes - I know it should be metal for fireproofing!
I want to put in a permanent setup with 8" smooth metal ducting, but haven't got roud tuit yet.

bruce edwards
04-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I did find a blower motor today and almost have it all set up with the aluminum flexible ducting. Hope to give it a test run tomorrow. Thanks for all the information.

Robert Walters
04-06-2011, 2:01 PM
I did find a blower motor today and almost have it all set up with the aluminum flexible ducting. Hope to give it a test run tomorrow. Thanks for all the information.

Bruce,

Just FYI...
Even if you have a 4" duct opening your laser and blower, it could be beneficial to use 6" duct to overcome air flow resistance in the baffles of the duct if it doesn't have a "glass smooth" interior.