PDA

View Full Version : First Weed Pot

Randy Bonella
04-05-2011, 1:35 AM
I am very new to turning and this is my first weed pot. I normally hang out in the Neander section but Turning green wood can be very addictive. Fun to watch the strings of wood fly!!!

Brent Grooms
04-05-2011, 6:12 AM
Randy, glad to see you are sliding down both slippery slopes! The weed pot looks really good however, the cat, well it looks like its about to be up to no good.

Jim Burr
04-05-2011, 6:18 AM
Nice little pot Randy...cats and pot don't mix!

John Hart
04-05-2011, 6:42 AM
Very cool Randy....Neanders and Turners are the same thing...'cept the wood moves. :) Your sharpening skills will be quite an asset. That cat is gonna break your heirloom :eek:

John Keeton
04-05-2011, 7:28 AM
Randy, you need to visit the round side more often!! I like what you have done here, and apparently so does Felix! Good form and the bark on the waist is neat.

Bob Haverstock
04-05-2011, 7:31 AM
Randy,

Felix needs an urn and a ball of string to play with.

Bob Haverstock

Bill Bulloch
04-05-2011, 8:57 AM
Nice looking pot and weed.

bob svoboda
04-05-2011, 8:58 AM
Nice weed pot. Kitty likes it too!

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2011, 9:26 AM
Weed pots can be a lot of fun to turn while learning! I know I turned a bunch of them and figured they would end up in the burn pile after the newness wore off... but, years later, my wife still uses them to hold dried flowers from her garden!

Nice form on this one! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Michael James
04-05-2011, 9:34 AM
Hey the cat likes it, what else do you need to know! Welcome to the round side, and thanks for posting!
mj

Randy Bonella
04-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. It was fun and I have a friend who opened up a new Hair Salon who wanted something to hold a bunch of dried flowers. Next pot out will be a bit larger to do just that. The Cat "Suzu" I swear is part dog. Anything new she has to smell but she was more interested in chewing on the stick.

John Hart
04-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Holy cow...That's our cat's name. :eek:

'cept with a Z...

...Zuzu

.....from "It's a Wonderful Life."

...well, at least it sounds the same :o

Ok...shuttin' up now. :rolleyes:

Randy Bonella
04-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Holy cow...That's our cat's name. :eek:

'cept with a Z...

...Zuzu

.....from "It's a Wonderful Life."

...well, at least it sounds the same :o

Ok...shuttin' up now. :rolleyes:

Suzu is Japanese for "long lived one" and or a "Crane" which is why in many Japanese paintings you see white cranes in the pictures symbolizing long life. Ok way way off topic for this forum... :)

John Hart
04-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Oh yeah...I forgot about the Off-Topic crime.:eek:

I was thinking that a crane would look really good burned into a tall vase. :) Like a silhouette.:)

I bet the cat would like it. ;)

Joel Albert
04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Great, pot - what kind of finish did you use to simulate the fur, grin?

Welcome to the world of woodturning, its definitly a fun hobby and a real mind-body challenge

Randy Bonella
04-05-2011, 4:00 PM
No Finish on it right now. Just left it raw. The wood is/was very wet. I've wondered what to do for finishing. I kind of like the natural look on this one.

Randy...