PDA

View Full Version : New miter guage question...suggestions/help needed.

Matt Gillam
04-04-2011, 11:47 PM
First off, I am pretty new to the creek, and it makes me happy to see that most here are friendly, happy, and informative when it comes to helping others, so as a reader, THANK YOU!
Also let me preface with the notes I now have Incra measuring instruments, the 52"TS/LS system, and the new MAST-R-LIFT II and am pretty sure I'd be an unpaid spokesman if asked! THEY ARE FANTASTIC!
Now for the question(s):
I do pretty 'basic' woodworking, and mostly make 90, 45, not even many 22.5 cuts(at this point), and right now the INCRA 1000HD is only $30 more than the 1000SE; is the individual degree detent worth the price difference?

I don't have a TON of tools, but I try to save and buy better ones when I can because I want them to last(Don't we all). Anyway, do many, if any, of you make many cuts that require more than what the 1000SE offers(every 5)? thanks, and YES I have read Tom's reviews of both...:) Thanks again in advance!

Matt

Josh Bowman
04-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Matt,
I asked the same when I bought my Incra Miter, and after reading some reviews, found that some folks found the extra detents more aggravating, so I opted for the simplier one. Having said that, you can still adjust the SE to any degree, it just doesn't have the detents made in to it.

Julian Tracy
04-05-2011, 12:43 AM
I have the Incra 1000SE and hate it. So tedious to adjust the stop.
- Loosen two screws,
- dis-engage racks,
- slide,
- re-engage racks,
- tighten screws.

It may not bother you much, but then when you use a normal miter gauge stop system that allows you to loosen, slide, tighten - done, you'll realize how much time you've wasted using the Incra.

Sure the precision is great, but I'd bet I get close to 1/64th inch precision at the worst using my Accumiter.

Still have the Incra, planned on selling it but noticed the plastic racks have broken edges so need to get the replacements...

JT

Bill Huber
04-05-2011, 9:00 AM
I am with Julian on this, I had one and sold it fast. I do have the v27 and it is really nice and fast to use. I did add a fence to it and use it on the band saw, router table and Ridgid sander.

My go to miter gauge is the Osborne EB-3, fast to use and very repeatable. There are some clones out there of the Osborne for around $80, I am not sure if they are just rebranded or are a clone.

Kent A Bathurst
04-05-2011, 9:11 AM
Is the 30 bucks worth it? Beats me - don't know how to work the calculus on that one.

I did get the HD - a special from somewhere a while back - don't remember the $. I don't find the detents aggravating at all - seems pretty straightforward to me. I have zero experience on the SE, so not qualified to contrast + compare.

I do recall thinking "it's only a few bucks more, so might as well get the HD" - but again, don't recall the numbers on either at the time I got it.

Chip Lindley
04-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Mast R Lift--YES! But, Incra stuff--I'm not much of a fan, sorry.

I'm in love with my JDS Accu-Miter! It's Heavy Duty! Amazingly versatile and accurate. That's one industrial hold-down clamp on top.

And the price was right too, since it came as part of the PM66 "package" I bought at auction.

Lee Schierer
04-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I looked at the Incra miter gauges when I was looking for a more accurate miter gauge. Ultimately I decided on the Kreg Miter gauge and I must say it has been very easy to use and is accurate. The have shot pin holes for common angles and a vernier scale for angles that are not so common. I recently cut an octagon with the 22.5 degree setting and the frame came out perfect the first time with no gaps at the corners. The only problem and it is a really small one is where to put the shot pin so you don't lose it if you are at one of the in between angles.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/oaVmi6yVCsBSR5D380fAoeEXtKziNIlcWTE_agIWoJBqvvBae-b8MhtvCvF3WLm4zyRpYGcZzHNl-oN-dC3MX_bCG_-ggAs-xdmFZPppl7rGiV5-qW954oeiUn9bGa_Ylz-19TD3vkK88KYy7O4SiepNC2iZv42IqDkpCVhoSkwn9k4Gsaj1c 7UIW9WLc_gboN-4J0jXlV_gphBlI_j15t1b

They also sell it without the aluminum fence if you want to build your own fences for it.

Dave Gaul
04-05-2011, 1:13 PM
I absolutely love my SE. I bought my SE on sale, so the price difference to the HD was much more. I don't think I ever miss the extra marks the HD offers.

The flip-stop is my favorite part of the SE, one of my favorite purchases thus far.

Jerome Hanby
04-05-2011, 5:53 PM
Incra miter gauges must be 100% love or 100% hate. I see alot of detractors and can't imagine why. I see a lot of enthusiast and figure they must actually be using it. I love my SE.

Plus, it's Iron Man Movie colors <g>

keith micinski
04-05-2011, 6:09 PM
An Osbourne EB-3 excalibur is another nice option.

Ray Newman
04-05-2011, 8:21 PM
Is there a WoodCraft, Rockler, or soem other well-stocked wood working supply house by you? If there is, it is probvably worth a visit to see and handle the miter guages they carry. Nothing beats a hands on experience.Or, ask Fellow Woodworkers what they use and see if you can handle their miter guages.Myself, I run the Incra 1000SE. Works very well for me. I examined other Incra gauges as well as the Osborne and the JDS, but found the Incra 1000SE more to my liking.

Jim Rimmer
04-06-2011, 1:29 PM
I have the SE and am satisfied with it. Just one word of caution. When you get it set up and then change to 45 degree cut, you will need to adjust the fence closer to the blade. When you go back to 90, don't forget to reset the fence or you cut the end of the aluminum fence off. DAMHIKT.

Bill Huber
04-06-2011, 2:10 PM
I have the SE and am satisfied with it. Just one word of caution. When you get it set up and then change to 45 degree cut, you will need to adjust the fence closer to the blade. When you go back to 90, don't forget to reset the fence or you cut the end of the aluminum fence off. DAMHIKT.

That was one of my biggest gripes and now the scale has to be reset correct?

Prashun Patel
04-06-2011, 2:12 PM
To answer yr original question: I have the SE, and was like you. However, there have been times when I've wanted for the individual degree detents. There are ways around this - like cutting a set up block to the right angle and then using it to calibrate your gauge when you have to do repeated setting.

However, the convenience of having it right there on the gauge is nice to have. For $30, I'd do it. HOWEVER, I do believe the SE goes on sale frequently at AMZN for about $100. So, you might be looking at a $50-60 difference. For that, I'd skip the upgrade.

People have a gripe with the Incra miter gauges largely because of the tape scale and the hex nuts. I don't find either a nuissance. I DO find a nuissance that the fence is slightly out of square to the table. That needed to be corrected for me.

Jim Rimmer
04-06-2011, 5:40 PM
That was one of my biggest gripes and now the scale has to be reset correct?

Yep. But I measure with a tape anyway.