PDA

View Full Version : Weekend of Creekers

Mike Cruz
04-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Well, Sunday started out with Patrick Stien coming over to cut up that maple stump. You know, the one that was attatched to that beautiful ambrosia and spalted maple that we cut up for turning blanks a three weeks ago... I have to say, that is why he was coming over, but it turned into much more than that. We cut up that stump, and I MADE hime take the two main blanks home. Hey, he could EASILY get 22-24 inch blanks out of it. My maximum is 18". Didn't seem right to not get the full capacity out of them. We'll see what beauty they hide. But, it didn't stop there. I wasn't going to send him home with two blanks after an hour's ride. So, we went over to check out an ash stump that my neighbor had sitting around. But Patrick's eys went right past the stump to a tree my neighbor had taken down. A white oak that had to be 40" in diameter. The two main trunks were still lying on the ground...limbs all removed. My neighbor happened to be out there cuttin the tree up. He stopped cutting to come talk to us. The conversation quickly (go figure) turned to the crotches and gnarly pieces that probalby wouldn't make it to the woodstove anyway. My neighbor said help yourself, so we cut up a couple of prize pieces. I am not a white oak fan. But Patrick is. So, he added to his large slabs. These, IIRC, will yeild some more huge bowls...easily in the same range. Then we moved to the ash. It was much plainer than I had anticipated. Nothing hugely wowing. But by the time it was cut up, too much effort to not give the pieces a spin. So, he took one and I took one. Then, on the way back to the house, we came across some musclewood. At least that is what I know it as. It has a smooth grey bark, is very dense, white heartwood (no distiction between heartwood and sapwood) and the exterior or the tree looks like muscle strands. If you've seen it, you know exactly what I'm talking about, if you haven't seen it, you are scratching your head right now. It tends to grow near creeks, kinda more of a scrub brush tree... Well this one was about 12" in diameter, so we both took a sample. Maybe we'll post pics of it... All in all, a great time. Patrick had to get home. So, he took off in the afternoon. Four hours of good talk, good times and good wood. Patrick, you are soul. You are welcome here ANY time.

Tonight, Monday, I got to meet a fellow Creeker that I've had many PM's and many conversational posts with...Van Huskey. He happened to be in my area, and came by. What a pleasure. I finally found someone that talked as much as I do. :D Van is a wealth of knowledge AND a good listener. Arriving earlier than he had planned, he got to watch me muck stalls (I'm sure a highlight of his trip). We chatted all the way through my chores. Then, off to the house to grab a couple of brews and a house tour. We walked the dogs, and then finished the house tour (grabbing a couple more brews). After a couple quick pic views (yeah right) on my computer, we headed to the shop. BTW, I offered dinner a couple of times, but Van insisted he didn't have time (it was about 8 at this point). We did the shop tour thing. Chatted up more. I know I had another...don't remember if Van was keeping up. We pondered machine deals, and upgrades, and all the things two tool junkies could imagine. By 10 pm, Van was still insisting that he had to leave...like I was keeping him... You know, I had a marinated flank steak in the fridge...waiting to be grilled. I offered it multiple times. I think time just flew, and we both got caught up. Van, next time you are in these parts...ya'll come back now, ya'here?

Nothing like meeting the best folks around. I have to say, I've met some great people on this forum. I can only hope that my next SMC encounter is as good as the last. So far, I've not been disapointed.

Sorry, I didn't get any pics of either occasion. I might get some pics of the wood I got from Patrick and my cut-up. But if you want pics of Patrick's wood, he'll have to post those. Heck he got another pick up truck load full... And Van and I didn't get any pics. Wish I had, but time flew....

Dan Hintz
04-05-2011, 7:06 AM
Little too much to drink there, Mike? You stopped mid-sentence ;)

Had I remembered Patrick was coming over, I would have stopped by for some good conversation. :(

Mike Cruz
04-05-2011, 8:12 AM
Okay, now THAT was weird! For two reasons... Somehow a large portion of the "Patrick" story got cut and pasted to the end of the post...mid sentence. And it was also weird because, well, how'd you know I was drinking? ;) :D

Fixed the post.

Actually, Dan, he was wondering if you were going to be around... I think he had some engraving questions for you.

Dan Hintz
04-05-2011, 9:11 AM
Side note... unless other plans kill it (i.e., SWMBO decides I cannot afford the time away from her), I plan on attending the WLAST shop tour mentioned at the Grumbine/Apple Valley meet. Any interest? I'll do most of the woodworking, may stop at one of the jewelry stores, and probably none of the quilting stores. I hope there's a glass blowing place on the list this year, too.

Mike Cruz
04-05-2011, 1:13 PM
Even if I said yes, the reality is no. Mostly because they do one around my county every year. Each year I think, hmmmm that might be interesting. But when the time approaches, I always opt out. So, to be realistic, I'll just say no.

Van Huskey
04-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Mike, I had a GREAT time. Those 5 hours FLEW by! I will see you again (and again unless and until I wear out my welsome). I hated to leave but I had to, 3 hours before I did!

Mike Cruz
04-06-2011, 8:02 AM
Van, it was a pleasure having you here. Of course you didn't wear out your welcome. You may come back whenever and every time you are in the area. I only regret that we didn't get a picture....next time.