PDA

View Full Version : Some bar room update pics

Fred Voorhees
01-29-2005, 9:04 PM
My better half wanted me to take some pictures of the bar room - now that I have finished up the sealing and finishing of all of the oak. I do have to say that the Waterlox brand of finish did darken the oak quite a bit. These pics were snapped tonight (Sat). The bar is pretty much done. I still need to add a middle shelf to the inside of the carcass of it, but that can be done at any time. I might even do this tomorrow. You can see the new flat screen tv at the end of the bar and the cleats mounted to the wall behind it where the shelf will be located.

The bookcase got its shelves mounted in it today and the Rockler shelf pin drilling jig really did its job! Every shelf is rock solid with absolutely no wobble or loseness. Some well spent cash on that jig!

The fireplace is now done and the brass is added.

Jim Dunn
01-29-2005, 9:55 PM
Fred,

Why is the air cleaner hanging in the ceiling of the barroom?? Ya serving pickled eggs with your beer:)

Jim Becker
01-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Why is the air cleaner hanging in the ceiling of the barroom?? Ya serving pickled eggs with your beerI suspect that some of Fred's friends don't like to go outside to smoke ;) ...or maybe the chili is killer. ;D

You can get a charcoal filter for these air cleaners to help clear the air so guys like me can survive the visit...:D I think that Mr. Fred should consider some form of cover over all that white paint, however, for the ambiance! :p

Fred, the room looks great!! I need to come over and see it up close and personal...it's come a long way since my last visit.

Bruce Page
01-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Fred, I’ve really enjoyed watching your bar room evolve into a very cool place to spend a lot of time in. I’m ready for some 9 ball or maybe even some crazy eights!

Peter Engelmann
01-30-2005, 9:19 AM
Great job, Fred...Sorry about your router mishap, any smoke in the shop that's not from the wood stove usually spells trouble. Are you still up for getting together sometime?

Pete

Jerry Olexa
01-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Pretty cooool! If I may. I'll have a Bass Ale....

Charlie Woods
01-30-2005, 2:11 PM
Fred:
Awsome!!!!!!!!:eek: Will be a nice feeling, everytime you relax to have a drink that all that is your work. Enjoy.:)

David Wilson
01-30-2005, 2:33 PM
Fred. Great job, I'll have an Amber Bach.

Ken Kirkeby
01-30-2005, 5:21 PM
Believed it or not, I'm your new best friend. What's your address? I'm making plane reservation as I type. Beautiful room! My guess is that you'll have tons of new best friends.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-31-2005, 8:16 AM
Fred, that is a great looking bar room! I wish that mine looked as good as that! Unfortunately, I only have one corner of the rec room, not a whole room! :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
01-31-2005, 9:18 AM
Fred, that is a great looking bar room! I wish that mine looked as good as that! Unfortunately, I only have one corner of the rec room, not a whole room!
Jeff, Fred had exactly the right idea...he built a building for the shop which coicidentally had plenty of room for vehicles. Voila! The former garage suddenly became available for "living space"!! What's not to like about that??

Kelly C. Hanna
01-31-2005, 9:26 AM
Looks nice Fred! I second Jim's idea of a cover for the Jet air cleaner!

Fred Voorhees
01-31-2005, 8:16 PM
Thanks for all of the compliments guys. I'm sure that the room is going to be a source of pride and enjoyment for a long time to come! When it is completely done, I'll somehow post a small retrospective to compare what it was to what it has become. It's a bit of an eye opener.

Jim Becker
02-07-2005, 9:51 PM
I stopped by Fred's place on Saturday to check out the bar/recreation room and was bowled over by the progress. What was a questionable home for spiders :p is now an awesome place to hang out with a "beverage" for conversation, billiards (as soon as there is a table) and more than likely NASCAR and country tunes. (This room is so nice that even I could handle the latter two with no problems whatsoever...hee hee :cool: ) The gas fireplace takes the chill off really well, too.

I took two pictures before my camera rudely informed me that it was time to charge the battery...the first shows Fred hard at wood hanging the lamp that will be over the pool table. The second shows a wonderful detail he did on the corner of the light bridge over the bar. The little walnut details he added in the room are great...that place has CLASS! (Great job Fred...)

Jim Dunn
02-08-2005, 7:50 AM
Fred,
Again, a great job of building what I am sure is going to be a room that will get a lot of use. Is that ceiling metal or some other material?
Jim

Pete Harbin
02-08-2005, 9:18 AM
Wow Fred! That looks great! Are you buying or building your pool table? How about one of those heavy tavern tables to keep those burgers or chicken wings from hitting the floor?

Kelly C. Hanna
02-08-2005, 9:33 AM
I sure like the trimwork....fine job!!

John Miliunas
02-08-2005, 9:34 AM
Cool! What a great space there, Fred! And, as Jim indicates, great attention to detail and putting in those "little things" which make it really special! I, for one, would love to have a gorgeous play room like that! Awesome job.:) :cool:

Tyler Howell
02-08-2005, 11:11 AM
The pool table and a band and you are ready to rock. Great space Fred.

Dale Thompson
02-08-2005, 9:53 PM
Fred,
I have only one criticism and it's a BIG one. Why are all the bar stools empty?? :D :)

GREAT JOB!!

DaleT.

Christopher Stahl
02-08-2005, 10:33 PM
That's going to be a lot of fun and it looks great. Can I get on the waiting list to be your new best friend too???

chris

Jack Hogoboom
02-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Fred,

I'm thinking that you're going to have to host a barbeque there this summer along the lines of Terry's. Those of us in the Midatlantic region have no place to go other than Bill's Five Barns picnic. Imagine how good that room would look filled with your fellow SMCers!!! :D

Congratulations on the great job!!

Jack

Fred Voorhees
02-09-2005, 7:05 PM
Fred,
Again, a great job of building what I am sure is going to be a room that will get a lot of use. Is that ceiling metal or some other material?
Jim

Jim, that is a run of the mill, right out of the store Armstrong acoustical tile cieling. Manufactured from recycled paper products. It was very simple to put up. I left the original drywall cieling up due to it's being pretty level across its dimensions. I simply ran lathe across the cieling joists at 12" centers (that was the most tedious portion of the job). Once that was done, it was a simple matter of figuring out the proper edge tile sizes to assure symmetry across the room and then simply stapling up the tiles. It was a weekend project and one of the first very "visual" upgrades to the room.

Thanks to everyone once again for the pats on the back. I really did want to incorporate special touches here and there to make the room special. Afterall, I was only doing it once and if adding little touches here and there made the project take a little bit longer and stretch the budget just a tad, well, so be it. I originally wanted to have this room done this past Fall. I guess I missed that mark by a country mile. It has all been worth it though as I often now just sit out there and take in a little bit of television with a cold Coors Light in front of me and just take in what I have created. The "official" opening of the bar room takes place during the airing of the Daytona 500. A number of my racing freinds will be coming over to enjoy the room, the beer, the race and our usual comradeship.