PDA

View Full Version : Help for a stubborn chuck

Ryan Baker
04-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I have an import drill press with a fairly common Jacobs-style import chuck on it (keyed not keyless). However, the chuck adjustment is very stiff -- takes two hands, and is very annoying. It feels like it is full of cosmoline.

I'm sure a couple dozen people will say just go buy a real Jacobs chuck for it. Yes, I know. I probably will do just that one of these days. But in the mean time, I'd like to take a shot at improving this one first. (I've got nothing to lose, and it otherwise runs true.)

I'm expecting to disassemble the chuck, clean out the crappy old grease that must be in there, re-grease it and put it back together again. To anybody who has done this to the knock-off chucks, what was your experience? Did you get any decent improvement? Do you have a preferred magic grease of choice? Any other bits of wisdom?

david brum
04-05-2011, 9:32 AM
I have an 80s vintage drill press which sat for quite a few years unused. The chuck was gummy and stiff when I got it. I removed the chuck and simply dripped light machine oil into the mechanism, then operated it until it smoothed out. That was at least 5 years ago and no problems. I recently did the same thing with a vintage chuck for a radial arm saw and got the same results.

'Jacques Malan'
04-05-2011, 1:46 PM
We've stopped using oil in the workshop for things like that since oil and dust don't like mixing. These days we use graphite powder for places that will get a lot of dust. The last chuck we've opened was more than 10 years ago.

Chris Fournier
04-05-2011, 2:54 PM
It could be gummed up but it could also be that a previous user put a bit in cockeyed and tightened down the chuck snug (the bit being caught between two jaws not centred between the three jaws). This will booger up the chuck internals and make it very stiff to operate as well. If this is the case you may well need a new chuck...

Chris Tsutsui
04-05-2011, 5:04 PM
Here's my story:

I bought a full size drill press, Jet JDP 17 from craigslist for $75. The chuck was stuck because the original owner was a fire sprinkler contractor that used it daily. A replacement chuck from Jet would cost me $55 so I passed on that as that is close to the price I paid for the drill press. heh

I remember using either WD-40, pb blaster or marvel mystery oil and a tooth brush to clean it the best I could to remove the gunk, then I saw that the jaws were slightly deformed causing some binding so that the chuck would not open past half way.

I used a dremel rotary tool to grind away the bulging part of the jaws and was then able to use the chuck just fine. However the bits would not be perfectly centered after tightening of course, though not off my much.

I used the drill press as is for a couple years until I replaced the chuck with a used precision keyless albrecht chuck I got from a machinist. Just had to buy an arbor adapter from Mcmaster car to go from Jacobs #6 (chuck) to Morse taper #2. (drill press)

I also replaced the v-belts with 1/2" link belt from harbor freight and the drill press is a real winner.

Ryan Baker
04-05-2011, 7:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have already tried the light machine oil/try to work it smooth approach. That didn't help at all. I get full travel of the jaws, and they center and grip just fine. It's just stiff. I don't think it's damaged, but it might be.

I guess I will take it apart and find out. Either it works or it gets replaced. I do like the graphite idea (was thinking that before). I don't need to attract more sawdust.

Myk Rian
04-05-2011, 9:26 PM
I recently did the same thing with a vintage chuck for a radial arm saw and got the same results.
A chuck on a RAS? Explain please.

david brum
04-05-2011, 10:14 PM
A chuck on a RAS? Explain please.

I have a plan on the back burner to use my RAS as a horizontal mortiser. I found an old LH threaded chuck on the bay and got some birds mouth mortiser bits, but haven't made any more progress. After I finish my French door project, I'm going to try it out. If it's successful, I'll post a gloat. If it isn't successful, we never had this conversation.

Myk Rian
04-06-2011, 8:27 PM
I have a plan on the back burner to use my RAS as a horizontal mortiser.
Good luck with that one.

I found an old LH threaded chuck on the bay and got some birds mouth mortiser bits, but haven't made any more progress.
Birds mouth bits are not for mortising. They are for edge joining boards. Like you would use to make a bucket.

After I finish my French door project, I'm going to try it out. If it's successful, I'll post a gloat. If it isn't successful, we never had this conversation.
Keep us posted.

david brum
04-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Birds mouth bits are not for mortising. They are for edge joining boards. Like you would use to make a bucket.

This is actually a different type of mortising bit, also called a bird's mouth. It's made for oscillating mortisers (don't know what those are) but apparently useful for Euro combination machines where the horizital mortiser spins counter clockwise. http://morriswoodtool.com/Tooling-Misc.htm