PDA

View Full Version : Oak Burl Bowls

Baxter Smith
04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Found a big oak lying on the ground when I was retrieving some holly burl last spring. Things rot fast around here so didn’t know how solid it might be. I have trouble passing up a burl:D so gave it a shot. Came home with about 10 pieces and roughed some of them out. Ended up tossing several. This is the first one I have returned. The wood is solid. It did have a few bark inclusions. The wife kind of wrinkles her nose at it. I suppose it isn't good for much.

190253190256190255 190254
9 5/8 x 3 x 3/16 Finished with AO

This one was cut as a crotch piece to begin with. The spalting, burl, and bug holes were a bonus.
12 ½ x 3 x ½ Finished with AO

Thoughts and comments are welcome as always. Hope these burls don't stress anyone out.:)

Brian Effinger
04-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Geezzz, you have oak burls too?!? :D

I suppose it isn't good for much.
Well, it is definitely good for testing your skills. Well, done. I'm going to have to show my friend Bill these photos. Like myself, he was really impressed with your turning abilities.

Curt Fuller
04-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Baxter, those are both great bowls but that first one is incredible.

gary Zimmel
04-04-2011, 10:44 PM
You got to love a bowl with more air than wood... Nice job Baxter.

Cathy Schaewe
04-04-2011, 10:51 PM
absolutely stunning. Don't know why the wife wrinkles her nose - maybe because it won't hold soup? just means it's art ...

Very, very, very nice/

Dan Forman
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Well, I don't see how you managed to turn that first one, there doesn't seem to be anyplace for a tenon or recess for the chuck to grab, and precious little to hold it together when spinning - and I think we can safely rule out the use of a vacuum chuck. The second one is at least comprehensible from a physics perspective. :D Fine job on both.

Dan

David Reed
04-05-2011, 12:25 AM
You would think that turning something as ephemeral as air would not be a big deal but this piece really shows off what can be done with air and how to display it. A bowl after my own heart - lovely work Baxter

Jim Burr
04-05-2011, 6:38 AM
I don't know how you pull that first one out of your hat, but wow!! That deserves the "Least Material Possible" Award!

Michelle Rich
04-05-2011, 6:47 AM
OK Baxter, you now have the award for the man who turned a bowl with more negative space than Michelle! the wood in the second is very stunning to my eye..One could try to find things in it, like one does while watching clouds...

John Hart
04-05-2011, 6:55 AM
....Hope these burls don't stress anyone out.:)

I hope you're still sore :)

Holy smokes Baxter....wonderful!! That first one looks like a map of the world. (I don't know which world....burlworld maybe)

Roger Chandler
04-05-2011, 7:02 AM
Baxter.......that first one looks like an old piece of rusted out metal........I would imagine it had a bit of "pucker factor" associated with the turning. Nice turning........"won't hold soup" like Cathy mentioned, but it certainly shows off the skill of the turner!

John Keeton
04-05-2011, 7:02 AM
Baxter, both bowls are excellent, and pretty wood, but that first one is remarkable!! It really draws one's eye. So, how did you finish off the bottom - Cole jaws/longworth chuck? I assume what we see as the foot was the chuck tenon.

Roland Martin
04-05-2011, 7:25 AM
Not meant to take away from the second one, Baxter, but the first one is absolutely first rate!!:eek:. I guess you didn't use a vacuum chuck:confused::), hot melt it to a face plate:confused::). YOWZA! You win the ingenuity award. Seriously though, you ought to be very proud of that one, mother nature entrusted you with a God-sent beautiful burl and you done her good.

Tim Thiebaut
04-05-2011, 7:30 AM
That first piece is amazing Baxter, it looks as if it was ready to fly apart on you, I like the second one a lot as well.

bob svoboda
04-05-2011, 9:05 AM
I like both bowls, but the first one is OUTstanding! Love all that negative space.

Russell Eaton
04-05-2011, 9:08 AM
Baxter the first bowl (and that is a stretch) is the coolest one I have seen in a while. Thanks for showing.

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2011, 9:14 AM
Very nice work on both bowls Baxter but - as everyone else seems to have noticed - that first bowl is breath-taking! Not much more that I can say that hasn't already been covered - so - Thanks for sharing! Very impressive work!

Tim Rinehart
04-05-2011, 9:47 AM
Gotta agree with the rest here...that first one is a fine piece and shows great skill in being able to even execute.
Well done at all levels Baxter!!

jwjerry w kowalski
04-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Wow,

Baxter that is one tremendous looking bowl, says a lot about your skill level, there is now way I could turn that. That would be my showpiece.

David DeCristoforo
04-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I herby christen this "The Baxter Smith Impossible Bowl"! From here out, all posts on this forum that picture heavily voided pieces should include the acronym "BSIB" in the post title.

Jonathan Spool
04-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Baxter,
I am amazed that you were able to succeed with turning that first bowl, and the end result is stunning. I don't mind pondering on how the heck you held that piece to the lathe (no place for a tenon, and for sure no vacuum would work), but did you do it with a jam chuck?

Baxter Smith
04-05-2011, 12:23 PM
I appreciate the complements but it wasn't that difficult. The original roughout didn't have any voids/holes. Just a lot of bark inclusions that I soaked with CA. They only started falling out as it got thinner and I picked out the rest. It would have been easier if I hadn't CA'd them in.:)

OK Baxter, you now have the award for the man who turned a bowl with more negative space than Michelle! the wood in the second is very stunning to my eye..One could try to find things in it, like one does while watching clouds...
Thanks Michele. Never considered negative space when looking at this. Just natural piercing. I like all the stuff going on in the second one as well.

I hope you're still sore :)

Holy smokes Baxter....wonderful!! That first one looks like a map of the world. (I don't know which world....burlworld maybe)
Thats hartless John, just hartless!:) Sorry but I'm not. Burlword? Great idea! I've got to get me some of that lacquer.

Baxter, both bowls are excellent, and pretty wood, but that first one is remarkable!! It really draws one's eye. So, how did you finish off the bottom - Cole jaws/longworth chuck? I assume what we see as the foot was the chuck tenon.
John, the original blank was roughed out using the #2 jaws on my SN2. I added the curve and larger foot during finish turning to dress it up a bit. I could have tried covering the holes with blue painters tape and using my vac chuck;) but went with a donut chuck instead.190319

I herby christen this "The Baxter Smith Impossible Bowl"! From here out, all posts on this forum that picture heavily voided pieces should include the acronym "BSIB" in the post title.
You've got the BS part right David.

Thanks again for your thoughts! They are appreciated!

John Hart
04-05-2011, 12:26 PM
.....but did you do it with a jam chuck?

That's how a human would do it.

But now that we're christening all future void-riddled-impossible pieces "BSIB"...I think it's clear....Baxter is supernatural.;)

'Course then....It could be that he just laid the burl on the floor and made the bowl with a disk sander and 60 grit paper....hmmmm...:rolleyes:

Jon McElwain
04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Yeah, so I am scratching my head on this one! Really impressive work on both of these, but the Oak Burl is just cool. So delicate, great form, beautiful burl grain, and the negative space really combine to make a masterful piece. Well done.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-05-2011, 7:44 PM
So how long did it take to make all those holes in that bowl Baxter :eek:, as there's not enough wood to hold it on the lathe, you must have done something to make it look this way :p

You did one heck of a job on that first bowl, looks real sharp, I like No1 better than No2, and that (No2) is a very good looking bowl as well, great wood and turning Baxter, well done :D :D :D

Bill Bolen
04-05-2011, 8:07 PM
Beautiful pieces both Baxter. You have a lot more nerve than I just getting No 1 turned. You must live in turners heaven in Deleware with all the beautiful wood you have been coming up with....Bill...

Baxter Smith
04-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Some of you are just too much, but I won't mention any names. I do appreciate the comments though.

So how long did it take to make all those holes in that bowl Baxter :eek:, as there's not enough wood to hold it on the lathe, you must have done something to make it look this way :p
Thanks Leo. I had been thinking about trying some piercing but didn't want to spend the money for the dentist drills so went looking in the tool box. My Bosch hammer drill knocked it out in no time.;)

Beautiful pieces both Baxter. You have a lot more nerve than I just getting No 1 turned. You must live in turners heaven in Deleware with all the beautiful wood you have been coming up with....Bill...
Thanks Bill. Living in the country(sort of)has its rewards. Plenty of dead, rotting and free wood. If you are a little picky it can be a nice combination.:)

David E Keller
04-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Fantastic work, Baxter! If your wife continues to be offended by the first piece, I'll make space for it here... My wife would be happy to have some stuff turned by someone with real skill! I like them both, but that BSIB is tops in my book.

Harry Robinette
04-05-2011, 10:52 PM
BAD for pop corn, GOOD for artistic talent. Baxter another beautiful bowl done with allot of skill.

Mark Hubl
04-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Nice piercing...just kidding. Baxter, you are cranking out some wonderful stuff. The void bowl is way cool, nice work.

Don Alexander
04-06-2011, 12:00 AM
BAH ....................... holding soup is WAY overrated

Jake Helmboldt
04-06-2011, 12:00 AM
The second bowl has wonderful character. The first one is just plain nuts! I love the signature and the interrupted foot. That piece is amazing. And usually I don't like oak, but those both have so much character they are fantastic.

Baxter Smith
04-06-2011, 1:25 PM
Fantastic work, Baxter! If your wife continues to be offended by the first piece, I'll make space for it here... My wife would be happy to have some stuff turned by someone with real skill! I like them both, but that BSIB is tops in my book.
Thanks David. I am flattered even if it is a little BS. While I was splitting a log less than perfectly the other day I quietly made the comment "I need a bigger chainsaw". Her comment was "I need a bigger house for all these bowls". Since my house building days are over, I will keep you in mind if I am unable to sneak it in.:)

Thanks again for everyones comments. They are appreciated!