PDA

View Full Version : Jig For Round Tenons?

Rick Hubbard
01-29-2005, 7:49 PM
Perhaps some can help my recollection. It seems to me that I recently saw instructions for building a jig to cut ½ inch round tenons on ¾ inch square stock. Has anyone seen this same information and, if so, do you remember where?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks a million!!!

Jamie Buxton
01-29-2005, 8:07 PM
One of the woodworking catalogs -- Rockler? --- sells a device you chuck in a drill. You clamp the stock in a vise and shove this tool on the end of the stock. Voila, round tenons.

Doug Shepard
01-29-2005, 8:58 PM
Well I remember seeing something in the past for doing round tenons on round stock at the router table. I don't remember all the particulars, but it would seem like you could extend the same idea to square stock.
I'm sure this wasn't the way it was done in the article I saw, but off the top of my head, I'm wondering if you could do something as simple as put a square hole through the center of 2 plywood disks. Then slip the disks over your stock and set the router bit height to remove 1/8" from one of the faces and set the router table fence so the edge of the bit only cuts in 1/8" from the adjacent face. Then start rotating the stock.

Jamie Buxton
01-29-2005, 10:53 PM
It was Lee Valley. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44248&cat=1,180,42288,45539

Alan Turner
01-31-2005, 1:57 PM
I make 1, 1.25 and 1.375 round tenons on the ends of legs for my hearth benches. I use a tenon cutter in the drill press, with the stock oriented vertically, clamped to the table which is also vertical. Works well, quick, accurate, etc. Run the DP very slow to avoid burning.
Alan