PDA

View Full Version : Chain Saws

Donny Lawson
04-04-2011, 7:21 PM
I was wondering what kind/size chainsaw recommendations are out there? I think mine is on it's last leg. I've had it since 93 so it's been a good one. It's getting harder and harder to start. I've had it worked on some and it don't seem to help. I've got logs(bowls) to make.
Donny

Dan Forman
04-04-2011, 7:42 PM
Mine is a Stihl MS 260 PRO. They make heavier, more powerful saws, but it's a pro line, meaning that it's built up to their highest standard of durability. The Farm Boss line is not as rugged.

Dan

Bill Neddow
04-04-2011, 7:50 PM
I have had great luck with Stihl chainsaws. Friends have had the same luck with Husquvarna. Basically, you get what you pay for in a chain saw. The cheaper it is, the more you have to pull on it, the more it won't start, and the more trips you will have to take to get it repaired. I would rather pay some money up front and avoid the aggravation. Also important is the quality of the dealer handling the chain saw. Do not buy at a big box store. You need a reliable repair depot no matter what kind of saw you buy. The final decision (e.g. between a Stihl and a Husquvarna) should be made on the basis of the dealer's reputation in your area.

Donny Lawson
04-04-2011, 7:52 PM
I priced a Stihl 290 today with a 20" bar for 379.00. It is a 56.5cc. I told them I didn't use it all the time. A 20" sure would be better than my 14" that I have now.

Jack Mincey
04-04-2011, 8:19 PM
Stihl or Husqvarna both make great saws but one should aways buy a pro model from a saw shop in my book. The big box stores don't carry many if any professional quality saws even if they are made by these two great saw makers. One can go to the company web site and see which saws are classified as pro or home use. As far as size of saw I think it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I've cut firewood for years using a Husqvarna 61 and thought it would be all the saw I would ever need for cutting up bowl blanks with it's 20" bar. As my logs got larger I found that it was working me and my old saw way to hard. Last year I bought a Husqvarna 372 xp with a 24" bar since I had been getting larger and larger logs given to me to make blanks from. This saw is simply incredible in every way. It cuts through large blanks like a hot knife through butter.
Good Luck,
Jack

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2011, 8:19 PM
A few years ago I picked up a Husquvarna 357 XP with a 20" bar. It is one of their pro-line models and is built for everyday use. So far, has been a beautiful saw and amazing at how fast it can crosscut or rip! Any of the pro-line saws (any brand) will be a little more expensive but well worth it if you plan on having the saw for a long time. Really like how easy it starts and because the weight is well balanced, it is very easy to control.

Good luck finding a saw that fits your needs!

Scott T Smith
04-04-2011, 8:25 PM
I have had great luck with Stihl chainsaws. Friends have had the same luck with Husquvarna. Basically, you get what you pay for in a chain saw. The cheaper it is, the more you have to pull on it, the more it won't start, and the more trips you will have to take to get it repaired. I would rather pay some money up front and avoid the aggravation. Also important is the quality of the dealer handling the chain saw. Do not buy at a big box store. You need a reliable repair depot no matter what kind of saw you buy. The final decision (e.g. between a Stihl and a Husquvarna) should be made on the basis of the dealer's reputation in your area.

+1. The quick and easy way to discern between a consumer versus a pro Stihl saw, is to look at the color of the handle. Consumer saws have orange handles, Professional models have white handles.

John Hart
04-04-2011, 8:34 PM
About 10 years ago, my local Home Depot was selling their rentals cheap and I got a Makita DCS6401-20 for $300. I think they run about $800 new..and I've seen them for sale used for around $500. Anyway, I have put this tool through some rough usage and it still starts with no problem....excellent power....smooth like a 4 stroke. I like it.

Jake Helmboldt
04-04-2011, 9:35 PM
+1
I have been looking for an excuse to do just that. The Makitas are actually Dolmar saws and are excellent. The 6401 can be increased to about 72cc by replacing the cylinder and head when it gets tired. (it is the same saw as their bigger one, just smaller bore)

HD apparently does maintenance after each rental so they are typically in good shape and for the money probably can't be beat. Check the compression and if it starts/runs well if you go with a used saw.

Cathy Schaewe
04-04-2011, 11:03 PM
We have three stihls (pro) and a husky. I say "we" - the wonderful man of the house cuts a tree whenever I ask. But we also burn wood all winter (which I think has been about the last nine months -please, make it stop snowing!). We used to have others - they didn't last the way the stihls do.

Ray Chalenski
04-05-2011, 6:14 AM
Donny, my partner and I own a tree care business and all of our large saws are the husqvarna xp's. We use and abuse them everyday and they work flawlessly.As previously mentioned the 357xp or the 372xp would be your best bet for a dependable saw.What we put these saws through in a year a homeowner would be hard pressed to do in a lifetime.

Donny Lawson
04-05-2011, 6:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I will put all in consideration in the next few days. I really need one (like today). The Sthil I looked at the other day was at a Sthil dealer and he mentioned the quality difference in what he sells and the HD,or Lowes brand. I talked to him again and he said if I wanted to he would add a bigger sprocket and a 25" bar to the 290 model for a total of 434.00 compared to the 395.00 for the 20" one. Same saw but with a bigger bar for a total of 40.00 more.

Bob Haverstock
04-05-2011, 7:29 AM
Donny,

I was in the same pickle a few weeks ago, my electric chain saw gave up the ghost. One of my old friends and his son came over for a visit. I was telling them about my saw situation. The son pipes up and tells me that he has bought a new larger Stihl and offered me his 4 year old Husqvarna 345. I bought it, the case a new bar and 2 new chains for $150. The saw looks like new. I have used it for about 20 minutes and love it.

BTW, I have a friend with a large 20 year old pro grade Husky Saw. I'm buying him a new skiptooth chain and bar, he supplies most of my wood. I couldn't justify a new $700 -$1000 outfit.

Bob Haverstock

Fred Perreault
04-05-2011, 7:30 AM
Donny, Husqvarna and Stihl make excellent professional series saws. I am a Stihl user myself. Get the most power you can afford, but keep in mind that even though the length of the bar helps with bigger logs, it is something that you have to carry around and handle. I use the 20" bar most of the time because of weight and balance, but when required, I reach for the 24" bar saw. But that baby is heavy, and a wee bit awkward. And if you use the saw often, which you probably will with a good running, powerful saw, then weight and balance should enter into the equation.... plus the cost of back-up chains. Go for it!

Lee Koepke
04-05-2011, 8:07 AM
Donny, I just got the Stihl MS250. Its the first chainsaw I have ever owned, so I'd say my comparison opinion is limited :D

I used it on Saturday to bring a big hunk of maple (28" dia) down to a manageable size for a 16" bowl blank. The 18" bar was a little short for the first cut, but after that .... like knife thru butter!

It was right at $300 last Thursday .. :cool:

Jon McElwain
04-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Donny,

I've got the Stihl 290 you are talking about, and the heavy construction/earthwork company that I work for in the summer has several of that model. Mine has performed flawlessly, and the ones at work are SEVERELY abused. They all run like champs even though they are run daily by crew members without oil, run through various corrugated plastic pipe, run in the mud to cut roots, and thrown around like they were disposable, all in Southeast Alaska where it is cold and wet all the time. If that saw can run great for years under these conditions, I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Danny Hamsley
04-05-2011, 8:55 PM
Donny,

I am not sure that the MS 290 has the power to handle a 25" bar. Too long a bar will hurt the performance of the saw and defeat the purpose of the long bar. I have a Stihl MS 361 which is one of Stihl's pro saw line, one size up from the 260, and it is a fine saw for use with a 20" bar. I use it a lot around the sawmill and felling logs. If you are only cutting bowl blanks occasionally, you may not need a pro saw. The MS 361 and the MS 260 have been replaced with new versions to meet EPA requirements.

Jake Helmboldt
04-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Stihl reccommends 16-20" bars for the 290. A 25" bar is well in excess of what that saw should use. Plus, it isn't needed. Stick with an 18 or 20" bar. You can cut up to a 40" diameter log with a 20" bar.

John Hart
04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
+1
I have been looking for an excuse to do just that. The Makitas are actually Dolmar saws and are excellent. The 6401 can be increased to about 72cc by replacing the cylinder and head when it gets tired. (it is the same saw as their bigger one, just smaller bore)

HD apparently does maintenance after each rental so they are typically in good shape and for the money probably can't be beat. Check the compression and if it starts/runs well if you go with a used saw.

When I got mine, HD gave me a 30 day warranty basically for the purpose of getting it checked out. Funny that HD doesn't sell Makitas but they buy them.