PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Boring Bar

Nate Davey
04-04-2011, 7:04 PM
I'm currently on the road visiting my parents. My dad has a lot of bar stock from different things and I found this 1/2" square stock. So cut two to 20" and made my straight cutter with a Sorby circular carbide cutter and cut the other end at 45* and have a tool bit I need to shape and sharpen. Once I get home I will make an Ellsworth style handle for them. I plan on putting about 3" in the handle. Should I put more in? Total cost: $25

Sorry for the poor picture, it was taken on my iPhone.

Harry Robinette
04-04-2011, 8:13 PM
Nate
Hate to say it but 1/2" sq.stock isn't going to go very deep without vibration.The tools look great and the idea is very good but I think you may need to up the size of the bar to at lest 3/4" if you want to go very far inside.Of course this is JMHO.

John Hart
04-04-2011, 8:42 PM
Pretty slick, Nate. I like what you've done. Although, I must agree that you might not get much more than 3 or 4 inches over the toolrest before they start chattering. But they're still pretty cool :)

Nate Davey
04-04-2011, 9:09 PM
That's what I was afraid of. I'm wasn't planning on doing more than 10-12", I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works. Dad has some 3/4 bar I can take with me. By comparison, the EZ Finisher is 1/2" bar.

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2011, 9:38 PM
Nice work! I use a 3/4" bar and it will chatter at 10". You can still hollow but you have to take light cuts and be very aware of where the center line is!

Richard Coers
04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I would suggest that the 45 bar has quite a bit of cutter hanging out there. It will be pretty twistie for a while till it get shorter. Keep a good grip on the handle while you get the feel of it. I've done some walnut spherical shape, hollow vessels, to 5" diameter with a 7/16 round bar tool. I wanted a really small hole in the vessel. It does buzz a little, but just take your time.

Nate Davey
04-05-2011, 6:50 PM
Richard,

I've not inserted the bit into the bar yet, need to round over the base and shaped the cutter yet. It will be about half the length once completed. Thanks for the advice