PDA

View Full Version : Corel Contour Tool color

Robert Walters
04-04-2011, 5:29 PM
I created a circle then used the contour tool to create concentric rings.

But the results have gradient color (green to black) and I have no idea why or how to prevent that from occurring, I just wanted them all the same solid color.

It's a nice effect, I just can't locate the settings for it.

http://i56.tinypic.com/346ktmw.jpg

George Brown
04-04-2011, 5:32 PM
On the contour settings, click on the second icon, then select color range from black to black, or whatever color you want.

Mike Null
04-04-2011, 5:34 PM
Break the contour group apart and fill them individually.

I have no idea why it's creates a bledn.

Robert Walters
04-04-2011, 5:48 PM
On the contour settings, click on the second icon, then select color range from black to black, or whatever color you want.

Where is this color RANGE you speak of?

http://i52.tinypic.com/i5vtdc.jpg

Robert Walters
04-04-2011, 5:50 PM
Break the contour group apart and fill them individually.

I have no idea why it's creates a bledn.

The funny thing Mike is that it didn't do this originally, so something has changed and I'm not sure what it is.
now, I'm just more curious as to what/where the darn settings for this are or how to use them properly =)

George Brown
04-04-2011, 6:39 PM
Sorry, pointed you in the wrong direction, if you don't want any fill, select the object and go to the fill icon on the left of the window, and select none. What you see is called a fountain fill, and you can select a starting and ending color for it.

Robert Walters
04-04-2011, 7:19 PM
Sorry, pointed you in the wrong direction, if you don't want any fill, select the object and go to the fill icon on the left of the window, and select none. What you see is called a fountain fill, and you can select a starting and ending color for it.

Yeah, you and Mike said the same thing.

I'm just trying to figure out where it's getting it's settings from in the first place.
I don't have anything green selected but if found green from "somewhere".

Mike Null
04-05-2011, 6:25 AM
Robert

Look at your tool bar at the top of the page. There is an outline and fill option there and I haven't a clue as to why it defaults to the colors it does.

Richard Rumancik
04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Robert, you did not give a lot of info on how the rings were constructed so I had to try and figure out what you did - so maybe I am off-base here. I am assuming you drew a circle with a "wide" black linewidth, and then did a contour offset toward the inside. If that is the case what probably happened is that you have inadvertently set a color change (blend) progressing from the first ring to the last. Whether it is from inside to out, or outside to in, the effect is the same. If you don't want the green then you have to set the final (outline) color the same as the initial color, which I assume was black.

There are other settings that don't apply, as it seems you only have colored lined not colored fills or colored fountain fills. Also there is another option for "acceleration" which allows variable width transitions. The blends, fountain fills and fancy tools aren't used or needed that much in laser engraving. They could be used for things like sublimation.

Maybe the attachment will help. . .

Robert Walters
04-05-2011, 3:57 PM
Robert, you did not give a lot of info on how the rings were constructed so I had to try and figure out what you did - so maybe I am off-base here. I am assuming you drew a circle with a "wide" black linewidth, and then did a contour offset toward the inside. If that is the case what probably happened is that you have inadvertently set a color change (blend) progressing from the first ring to the last. Whether it is from inside to out, or outside to in, the effect is the same. If you don't want the green then you have to set the final (outline) color the same as the initial color, which I assume was black.

There are other settings that don't apply, as it seems you only have colored lined not colored fills or colored fountain fills. Also there is another option for "acceleration" which allows variable width transitions. The blends, fountain fills and fancy tools aren't used or needed that much in laser engraving. They could be used for things like sublimation.

Maybe the attachment will help. . .

Very very close...

1/2" circle, 10pt width, red outline, no fill
outer contour, .125" offset, 6 steps.

Now...
What I found out about the gradient is that it starts with the original objects color (red) and goes to the outline color (blue) on the contour toolbar.

http://i52.tinypic.com/143bl5.jpg

first circle 1/2" 10pt outline red.

Second is contoured,

Third is the outline on the contour toolbar charged to blue to give the "ending" color and producing the gradient.

Richard Rumancik
04-05-2011, 6:24 PM
. . .What I found out about the gradient is that it starts with the original objects color (red) and goes to the outline color (blue) on the contour toolbar.

Yes, that is what the attachment was trying to show - in your original question you said you did not know where the green came from so I assumed you started on the outside with black, and the green came from the selection of outline color on the toolbar. But the effect is the same regardless if you contour to inside or to outside.

If you start with an annular "ring" instead of a colored line, then the "fill" option comes into play instead of "outline".

I am not familiar enough with the fountain fill option to comment on it. I have played with it but don't really have a handle on it.

Robert Walters
04-06-2011, 3:13 AM
Richard,

Well we got there at least, even if it was from opposite ends.
I just wish Corel made the feature/functionality more intuitive,
or at least documented it better instead of trial and error.

Thanks =)