PDA

View Full Version : Looking up the rabbit hole

Paul Maue
04-04-2011, 4:17 PM
Back in Feb when we had a brief warm spell, I had the opportunity to dig out an ornamental tree that had a root burl growing at the base. I didn't know how big it was when I first started. The base of the tree trunk is about 8" in diameter, the burl section is about twice that size. It took awhile to get down to the bottom of the entire root base were I could cut off the individual roots coming off the tree. The bottom of the root section is 36" diameter. I keeping dreaming :D of various projects that I would be able to make with this ...... until I pushed it over and saw this huge void underneath.:( That rabbit hole extends all the way up above the beginning of the burls. So I don't think any of the burls areas are more than 3" to 4" thick. Also the roots seems to be very soft and punky.

Knowing that, what would be the best way to cut this up. I want to maximize the usable material at hand. Should I just cut the trunk off above the burl and then cut around the largest knob and use that diameter for a bowl blank? Will there be a pith in the burls? Your help would be greatly appreciated before I warm up the chainsaw.

curtis rosche
04-04-2011, 5:05 PM
there is still great use for this. if you recall the huge burl i got awhile back, it was all hollow, but if you find the thread with my last project, i made a whole table out of it. the fact that the tree is hollow just means there is less work to do. cut the tree trunk into staves that are a bit wider than the forms you will be making. then deal with the staves as if they are boards made of burl. this is so much easier to work with than if you hade a whole solid trunk. less wood but easier to work with

John Keeton
04-04-2011, 5:29 PM
Paul, whatever you do, have a couple of extra chains for that saw!! They are going to dull quickly with all that dirt in there - and, rocks in all probability. I would be inclined to cut the trunk at the top of the burls and inspect for good wood. Then try to maximize the larger burls. While there may be some good figure in the root mass, my guess is that is will be punky and not worth the effort.

Jim Burr
04-04-2011, 5:46 PM
I wish I had a suggestion for you Paul...just going to enjoy the view!

Dennis Ford
04-04-2011, 7:40 PM
Hollow or not, there is some great stuff there. A good washing with a pressure washer will get most of the grit out.

Harry Robinette
04-04-2011, 8:02 PM
High pressure wash before chain saw much easyer on chains.