PDA

View Full Version : Just "Resting" up!

Roger Chandler
04-04-2011, 3:41 PM
On my last project, when it came time to turn a finial, I had out of necessity to put a blank between centers, and the only toolrest I had for this lathe was the one that came with it and it is 14 inches long......that prevented me from being able to get close to the wood blank for the finial, and hurt my tool control some, and made the last final cuts a bit on the "hairy" side :eek: The tail stock itself [base and all] just prevented me from being able to get close to the blank.

I decided to remedy this problem......and then some! ;) I got a robust low profile rest at 6" long, a round bar rest 12" long, and just for good measure, I threw in the rest that came with my lathe, and a french curve rest I had gotten earlier for the pics, but had not used on this lathe as of yet.

My thinking is that the "low profile" of the robust will allow me to get my index finger behind a finial when it begins to need support from the opposite side, and the round rest also allows for some support from the finger on the back side as well.

Any comments on my rationale, either plus or minus is welcome........just trying to get it where I no longer need tailstock support when I go to do small things like a finial....

John Keeton
04-04-2011, 3:52 PM
The Robust low profile is the best for finials, as it will permit you to be a lot closer to the work. The round bar rest may be fine for bigger work with a gouge, but I still like the small "top print" of the Robust style for all work. It lets one get very close to the wood with minimal overhang. I have not use the round rest like you show, so I can't comment. The stock rest that comes with most lathes is very cumbersome IMO.

The rests that Jeff Nicol has made for me are very similar to the Robust, and work great! I would recommend you buy the larger Robust, as well - or, catch Jeff in a weak moment and see if he will make one for you.

These are the pics of the rests he made for my Delta - the smaller one is not the low profile. The new ones will be in tomorrow, and I will post pics of them.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188092&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1300999241 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188092&d=1300999241)http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188093&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1300999243 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188093&d=1300999243)

John Hart
04-04-2011, 4:00 PM
Ya know Roger....I was thinking about this very thing yesterday....ain't that Spooky? :eek:

I don't normally do finials because, well...frankly...they are evil. And I am a wholesome guy....somewhat angelic.....well...you know.;)

So anyway...I was making an evil finial, thinking that I need something short, especially for finial work so I can get my hand in there for support. I was thinking that my S-curve rest just might be the answer.

But I may never find out. Because finials are evil.:cool:

Roger Chandler
04-04-2011, 4:01 PM
JK.....as you may know, I got the Drozda videos on the mobile library.......and it showed her using a small robust style rest that was not low profile either, it just seemed she used the end of the rest as it slanted back towards the post, and that allowed her to get in behind the finial she was turning.......... I figured that a low profile one would allow for even better control as a finger could reach behind any portion of the rest.

I figured if it could work for Cindy Drozda, then it could also work for me.

Roger Chandler
04-04-2011, 4:05 PM
Ya know Roger....I was thinking about this very thing yesterday....ain't that Spooky? :eek:

I don't normally do finials because, well...frankly...they are evil. And I am a wholesome guy....somewhat angelic.....well...you know.;)

So anyway...I was making an evil finial, thinking that I need something short, especially for finial work so I can get my hand in there for support. I was thinking that my S-curve rest just might be the answer.

But I may never find out. Because finials are evil.:cool:

John........do the "exorcist thing" and get a small rest like I did.........and then the demons might get gone from your finial attempts........we can always hope...............oh by the way.........a little praying never hurt either when one is turning a finial! ;):D

Keith E Byrd
04-04-2011, 5:23 PM
I found a little praying never hurt when I was turning anything!

David E Keller
04-04-2011, 9:21 PM
I like the round bar rests. The one you've posted looks a lot like the ones I bought from a guy on the IAP website('rherrell' or something like that)... The top bar can be removed or exchanged for other sizes. I've got 3, 6, and 9 inch versions of that rest, and I like them. The only downside that I can see is that the steel is a little soft, so I have to dress the rest a little more often than with something made of harder steel.

Roger Chandler
04-04-2011, 9:26 PM
I like the round bar rests. The one you've posted looks a lot like the ones I bought from a guy on the IAP website('rherrell' or something like that)... The top bar can be removed or exchanged for other sizes. I've got 3, 6, and 9 inch versions of that rest, and I like them. The only downside that I can see is that the steel is a little soft, so I have to dress the rest a little more often than with something made of harder steel.

David...........I think you are right..........the robust rests have drill rod on the top, and are pretty hard. This round rest is made by best tools and I purchased from Packard. It has a unique thread pattern, so as to make it proprietary and require their product if another size is to be added. I thought about a 4 inch bar, but decided instead on the robust because of the great reviews and the thin top that makes getting close and having control of the tool an easier thing to do.

Cathy Schaewe
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
I feel like I'm missing something. What are the round-bar rests good for, that the robust types are not???

Cathy Schaewe
04-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Angelic? I see it's warm enough that the lacquer fumes are working again ... :D:eek:;)

Philip Duffy
04-05-2011, 4:51 AM
Cathy, nOT A THING. --just my 2cents. Phil

Roger Chandler
04-05-2011, 6:43 AM
I feel like I'm missing something. What are the round-bar rests good for, that the robust types are not???

Cathy,

The round bar rest is a substitute for the original rest that came with my lathe. It is a less bulky rest I can get my finger behind a spindle much easier with if I need to. The original rest is fine for most things, but there have been a few times the mass towards the middle has prevented me from getting the support I wanted to for thin spindles.............the robust would do the same, but it is only 6" in length, and I got it for small things like finials. A full size robust would make the round bar rest unnecessary.

John Hart
04-05-2011, 6:46 AM
Angelic? I see it's warm enough that the lacquer fumes are working again ... :D:eek:;)

Just for a day....we're back to winter.....again :(

I'll back to being angelic again in a few days :) (hic! :o)