PDA

View Full Version : Coreldraw curve offset

Adrian Hill
04-04-2011, 2:46 PM
Is there a way in Corledraw to automatically draw a curve offset to another.

What I mean is this; draw a circle say 1cm in diameter - use a offset function to create a circle at 1.1 mm & 0.9 mm.

The cirlce serves merely as an example - it could be any polygon.

I can draw any object in Rhino V4 and then offset outward or inward by 0.15mm to compensate for the width of the laser simply by using the offset command.

I could export the drawing to DXF and take it to Rhino, do the change and then bring it back into Corel...but...there has to be a better way!

Dan Hintz
04-04-2011, 2:49 PM
Is there a way in Corledraw to automatically draw a curve offset to another.

What I mean is this; draw a circle say 1cm in diameter - use a offset function to create a circle at 1.1 mm & 0.9 mm.
Yes... it's called, wait for it... "offset" ;)

Adrian Hill
04-04-2011, 2:57 PM
I found the answer on the Coreldraw forum. Seems the command is called Contour

John Noell
04-04-2011, 3:05 PM
(Dan seems to enjoy being a bit cheeky, eh?)

Adrian Hill
04-04-2011, 3:13 PM
The Contour command works well with simple objects like combined circles etc, but it get confused when asked to create an outline around a combined object comprising a number of complex objects.

David Fairfield
04-04-2011, 3:15 PM
Illustrator has the same thing, offset. Another way to do it is add a stroke to a solid filled object, and that will offset by the line width. I find that helpful for small adjustments to letters and numbers.

Dave

Mike Null
04-04-2011, 5:29 PM
Make your object in the smallest--or largest size you need then use the contour tool with 2 steps either inside or outside as needed.

Robert Walters
04-04-2011, 5:32 PM
Yes... it's called, wait for it... "offset" ;)

Dan,

I know about the contour tool in Corel, but where's this "offset" tool/setting you speak of?

Mike Null
04-04-2011, 5:43 PM
Robert
It is in the contour tool box.

Dan Hintz
04-04-2011, 8:00 PM
Dan,

I know about the contour tool in Corel, but where's this "offset" tool/setting you speak of?
Ack! Should have been "contour" :( Sorry, Adrian, I was doing it from memory while at work.

John's cheeky comment makes a lot more sense now... ;)

Adrian Hill
04-05-2011, 2:21 AM
Robert
It is in the contour tool box.

The offset specified in the Contour toolbox is not a command but rather a simple field that specifies the width that the newly drawn contour will be away from the original polygon.

Rodne Gold
04-05-2011, 3:18 AM
With contour and the Cad offset command , there are entities that cannot be offset as there is not mathematical offset for them , for example offsetting or contouring inwards a heart with a steep or sharp "butt cheek" at the top of the heart will not offset correctly.
There is a simple way to ensure a reasonable offset in this situation and that is to use the fillet command in Corel and fillet the whole entity with a very small radius.

Dan Hintz
04-05-2011, 6:51 AM
There is a simple way to ensure a reasonable offset in this situation and that is to use the fillet command in Corel and fillet the whole entity with a very small radius.
Ah, great tip, Rodney... I was having this exact issue with a complicated design last week. It had no problem on the inside, but an outside contour was throwing an error. I'll have to try that...

Robert Walters
04-06-2011, 8:46 AM
Ah, great tip, Rodney... I was having this exact issue with a complicated design last week.

Dan,

Same issue with the corner rounding too, check out the pics and link here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161730-Corel-X4-Rounded-corner-tool-weirdness&p=1662499