PDA

View Full Version : Water proof turning smock????

Reed Gray
04-04-2011, 2:41 PM
I was out in the shop last night taking a bath with some sycamore/london plane, getting totally soaked, and wondered if some enterprising person made a turners smock that at least had a water proof front. I got totally soaked (been a wet late winter/early spring), raindrops falling off the ceiling, and I was almost tempted to do the Hefty Bag poncho. Oh, yea, windshield wipers for the glasses and face mask too.

On a side note, this sycamore was RED on the inside, not pinkish, but bright red. Never seen anything like it before.

If I ever get a camera and learn how to do the picture thing, you people are in trouble!

robo hippy

John Hart
04-04-2011, 3:11 PM
I used one of those emergency poncho things that they sell at baseball stadiums. Only did it one time....with some willow. Blech!!!:p

bob svoboda
04-04-2011, 4:32 PM
I got a (really cheap) set of rain gear I keep in my shop for that purpose.

Bill Bulloch
04-04-2011, 5:00 PM
Spray you smock with Scotch Guard Water Repellant. It's cheap and works good on camping gear, so should work on a smock.

Dan Forman
04-04-2011, 5:41 PM
I have one of these, works well, but no sleeves. Does keep chips out of pockets, but not shoes. :) It is waterproof.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=appr-aprons

While you are at it, get a camera too!

Dan

Jim Burr
04-04-2011, 5:47 PM
33 gallon green trash bag

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2011, 5:53 PM
Reed - I have a duck hunting jacket left over from years ago that I wear. Repels water and being camouflaged - looks reall cool at the same time!

Harry Robinette
04-04-2011, 6:31 PM
Reed
I use the apron Dan uses from Packard, also I picked up used golf wind braker at the second hand store mosst of them are rain proof. I always keep a couple around
for the guys dropping in to the shop.

James Combs
04-04-2011, 7:07 PM
Reed
I use the apron Dan uses from Packard, also I picked up used golf wind braker at the second hand store mosst of them are rain proof. I always keep a couple around
for the guys dropping in to the shop.

Ditto the wind breaker. Mine has a hood as well. When I am really into the chips I have it one, hood up and face shield on top of that. I haven't done anything wet enough to sling water but it should repel it if I do.

Bob Bergstrom
04-04-2011, 7:22 PM
I would look at the new light weight rain jackets at some of the sports stores. There not Gortex but are breathable. The humidity goes up considerably in my shop when I am roughing wet wood. I would not wat to be in any type of plastic. I sweat enough without being in a sealed container. Scotch guard would be a good alternative.

Cathy Schaewe
04-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Camo turning! That might be a little too enticing ... :D:D;)

Vince Welch
04-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi Reed,

I use a nylon sweat suit jacket. The nylon does a good job, cost is minimal, washable, sleeves are elastic and the zipper goes high around the neck...etc etc! I've use this for years now.

Bill Blasic
04-05-2011, 6:44 AM
Reed,
That red will disappear very fast. Cut one a year or so ago and it looked like blood coming out of the cut. The red was gone within hours.
Bill

Brian McInturff
04-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Carhart makes a really neat breathable rain jacket. The only drawback to any of these is you will end up sweating when you wear them for a long time. For the glasses with windsheild wipers you need to talk with Steve Martin from way back in the "Jerk".

Reed Gray
04-05-2011, 1:16 PM
I am one of those people who start to sweat when it gets above about 65. I need some thing vented, and maybe only water proof in the front. Couldn't use the hood, heat and shaving collection issues. Well, maybe I will figure some thing out.

The red is fading. I am hoping some of it will come back when I sand and finish it.

robo hippy

charlie knighton
04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Reed,

plus 1 on Bill Bulloch (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?45861-Bill-Bulloch) post, as you say only coat the front of whatever you wear, we use to sell tons of the stuff for skiers

amazing