PDA

View Full Version : Grid map image of New York

Zsolt Paul
04-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Does anyone have any NY grid map images that look somewhat similar to the attached picture? Ideally the tri-state area would be best, but beggers can't be choosers! :)

It can be raster or vector. It will eventually have to end up a 48x48" raster image, but I can either rasterize a vector or vectorize a good quality raster image smaller, then blow it up and back to raster. I use Illustrator, so AI, EPS (etc) files are best for vector, though I can import "most" CDR files too. Thanks!

Frank Corker
04-05-2011, 5:59 AM
Those images appear to be negative images of street maps. I will give you some hints as to how you get those, although copywrite issues will be your responsibility to sort out. Each square is 1 km and they are from ordinance survey maps, pages like google maps and tomtom navigator use the same imaging just redrawn. Aeiral photo overlays come from planes flying over 1 km grid mapped locations and are often mistaken for satellite images, they are pieced together using the longtitude/latitudes. So, there's your hint.

Zsolt Paul
04-05-2011, 8:59 AM
Thanks Frank, I will try your suggestions. It seems my timing to need this now was perfect, because it just happens to be the 200th anniversary of the 1811 proposed New York grid. The New York times posted an interactive map which can be edited to look just like what I need. I have no idea where this lies in terms of copyright issues....