PDA

View Full Version : ebay fail

john brenton
04-04-2011, 12:21 PM

I love these. It always irks me to see the wedge turned around with the finial facing inward, or the chipbreaker facing toward the bed...

I just thought this one was exceptionally failed...

or is it an early attempt at East/West fusion? :D

haha, as soon as I posted that I found this pair on the next ebay page: 330543057629

jim goddard
04-04-2011, 12:32 PM
:) not long ago a set of chalking irons was listed there as 'vintage chisels'...oh well

george wilson
04-04-2011, 1:55 PM
Do you mean caulking irons? That chalk just flies all to bits when you try to pound it into joints.:)

Tom Vanzant
04-04-2011, 2:29 PM
John,
I saw a wooden jointer in a shop that had the breaker mounted on the bevel side of the iron and the wedge positioned between the breaker and the bed. Scary...

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-04-2011, 2:40 PM
I've seen chipbreakers mounted upside down, too. The antique shop I was at the other day had a real nice beech plow plane with the iron wedged in upside down. Of all the planes you could do it to, it seemed like that one would be the most obvious, I mean, there's a groove there to mate with the bed. There's a lady with a booth at another antique store that marks screwdrivers as chisels. And just once, a chisel as a screwdriver. Can't blame her, I suppose as they both showed signs of being used for the other's job at some point in their life.

Jeff Wittrock
04-04-2011, 3:12 PM
or is it an early attempt at East/West fusion? :D

Hey, that's pretty clever. Maybe it is really supposed to be pushed backwards as some kind of scraper.

Jeff Wittrock
04-04-2011, 3:17 PM
haha, as soon as I posted that I found this pair on the next ebay page: 330543057629

Maybe the bottom one was an attempt at creating a higher cutting angle? Doing it this way would definitely close the mouth up nice and tight, but might be hard to get the shavings out:).

jim goddard
04-04-2011, 3:42 PM
LOL, yup sorry about that... :D

Bill Houghton
04-04-2011, 3:44 PM
I bought a Sargent duplex rabbet plane (like Stanley 78) and a Stanley spokeshave once from a nice man at a rummage sale who told me he'd only ever used them to demonstrate to his son how they worked. The irons were in backwards on both of them (which is a real achievement on a duplex rabbet, since the irons are not symmetrical on those). Guess the son didn't learn much.

Noah Barfield
04-04-2011, 5:10 PM
I've seen chipbreakers mounted upside down, too. The antique shop I was at the other day had a real nice beech plow plane with the iron wedged in upside down. Of all the planes you could do it to, it seemed like that one would be the most obvious, I mean, there's a groove there to mate with the bed. There's a lady with a booth at another antique store that marks screwdrivers as chisels. And just once, a chisel as a screwdriver. Can't blame her, I suppose as they both showed signs of being used for the other's job at some point in their life.

I know what you mean. I recently bought a saw set at an antique store. It was labeled as a leather hole punch.

Jonathan McCullough
04-04-2011, 6:29 PM
Don't laugh too hard. That's the kind of seller who will sell haggle over a box full of Stanley No. 2's for $20 at a garage sale.

Kevin Foley
04-04-2011, 9:19 PM
Easier to use a screwdriver as a chisel than to use this as a plumb bob. ebay item 310308860017

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-04-2011, 9:38 PM
Easier to use a screwdriver as a chisel than to use this as a plumb bob. ebay item 310308860017

Weird. Does anyone know what that actually is? I can not figure it out.

Jim Koepke
04-04-2011, 9:51 PM

If you tie a long string to it and hang it from a high enough place the string should be fairly plumb.

Weird. Does anyone know what that actually is? I can not figure it out.

It looks like a home built motor or generator without the magnets.

It is listed as "NEW." Some people are just not clear on some of the concepts.

It would likely make a better plumb bob than an electrical device.

jtk

Lawrence Richards
04-04-2011, 9:54 PM
...and I'll add that sellers like that are usually THRILLED when you can give them information about a tool they are selling but you arn't buying (if you do it tactfully) The other day I went to a yard sale and bought some stuff-- one of the items I was looking at was a nice vintage steel combo square (with the rule on one side of the table and the square on the other) The guy didn't know they went together and when I showed him how he was quite thrilled and gave me the square and a great deal on other items.

Funny story though,
Lawrence

john brenton
04-05-2011, 2:01 PM
Couldn't the same thing be said about a string with a coffee mug, a shoe, or a stapler on the end of it? Haha. That is the funniest looking contraption I've ever seen. I saved a picture of it just to have it.

If you tie a long string to it and hang it from a high enough place the string should be fairly plumb.

jtk

Andrae Covington
04-05-2011, 11:10 PM
...and I'll add that sellers like that are usually THRILLED when you can give them information about a tool they are selling but you arn't buying (if you do it tactfully)...

Yep. I occasionally message ebay sellers to inform them what they are selling when it's obvious they have no idea or have made a major mistake in the description. They are usually quite grateful for the help.

Tom Vanzant
04-05-2011, 11:58 PM
And some sellers still don't get it right. I advised one seller that if the depth adjustment nut was 1", the plane was type 11 or earlier, but if it was 1 1/4", the plane was type 12 or later. He added both descriptions to the listing and thanked me for the clarification. At least he didn't change the description to "plumb bob".

Mark Wyatt
04-06-2011, 12:11 PM
This is my favorite type of e-bay seller: 180647842306
someone who really knows a bargain! I wonder if they would like to BUY some of my planes?

john brenton
04-06-2011, 2:00 PM
Good one Mark. I like the "the Baileys are valued at $7800" gag... Really??? And I'm getting all those for only $5,000???!! Let me get a loan and I'll be right back!

Note that the seller has a feedback rating of zilch.

This is my favorite type of e-bay seller: 180647842306
someone who really knows a bargain! I wonder if they would like to BUY some of my planes?

Mark Wyatt
04-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I couldn't resist listing one more item:

That's a nice plane!

David Keller NC
04-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Good one Mark. I like the "the Baileys are valued at $7800" gag... Really??? And I'm getting all those for only $5,000???!! Let me get a loan and I'll be right back!

Note that the seller has a feedback rating of zilch.

Funny thing about this is the misinterpretation the seller must've made. If she truly did have "Baileys" as in Leonard Bailey, Boston, that haul would be worth quite a bit more than $7800. I frequently see this mistake - that a plane marked "Bailey" really means "Leonard Bailey" that they've looked up on the internet. Same with "wood planers". ;-)

Matt Evans
04-17-2011, 5:50 PM
ebay # 160572506918

They may have gotten the description right, but the title. . .

i know they make water cutting saws, but air cutting saws probably look nothing like a blower. . .

Mark Baldwin III
04-17-2011, 10:31 PM
At one of my local antique stores there is a Disston saw, on the tag it reads: "Signed by Henry Disston!" Too bad the seller thinks that makes the saw worth about 3 times what any user would pay!

Matt Evans
04-17-2011, 10:36 PM
I wonder how many saws Henry Disston "signed" Musta been a lot of work to get that perfect signature engraved every time. . .