PDA

View Full Version : "MILD" Salsa Recipe Needed

Michael Cody
01-29-2005, 1:09 PM
I know all you macho types have those fire-breathing, glass etching salsa recipes. Reading the Chili Cook off post reminds me of the fact that most of those recipes should have a health department "Internal Consumption can be hazardous to your health" warning on them. I like a little hot stuff on a regular basis - in particular my BBQ stuff, but the rest of the family is looking for a "MILD" salsa for breakfast and on chips for a lunch snack.

Now add to the fact that I love fresh salsa, not the canned stuff, I want to make my own on a regular basis. I can experiment but since my wife and kids password protected the cooking channel I am getting the hint they sometimes don't like my experiments.

Rather than searching the web I figured I might ask the wildly diverse massive think tank that SMC has become...

I am looking for recipe that is sorta Tex-Mex in flavor, lots of fresh tomato, onions, some peppers, probably cilantro and other herbs of course fresh only, etc.. I am looking for that super fresh stuff I can put on eggs & sausage omelets, dollop into northern smoked ham/Bean soup, have with sour cream on fried corn bread (try it sometime), dip chips in and not have to have one beer per chip to put the fire out ... keep the family happy - you know stuff for the northerners out there whose taste buds have not been all burned off by eating to much habenaro pepper sauce. I a looking for flavor not heat if you see.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Parks
01-29-2005, 5:02 PM
You already named all the major ingredients. Here's how I make mild salsa:

No measurments, just make it.

Diced tomatoes
A little bit of diced onions
Chopped Cilantro
Lots of Salt N Pepper
Lime juice
Small splash of red wine or balsalmic vinegar
(sometimes a small can of tomatillos)
(tabasco optional)

Hope this helps

Bruce Page
01-29-2005, 5:26 PM
Michael, mild is a relative term…:eek:

This is one of my favorite New Mexican salsa recipes that is not too hot.

3 large tomatoes, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
Salt, to taste
2 Tbs. Chile piquin
1 Tbs. Jalapeno, chopped

Mix above ingredients in medium size bowl. Refrigerate and keep cool until ready to serve.

Enjoy!

Jerry Olexa
01-30-2005, 12:02 AM
http://recipezaar.com/ and type in Salsa. IMHO there are no good mild ones:D
but remember when you make it yourself, it has a very short life about 3-5 days,
Doesn't have preservatives like the commercial...Enjoy. To me Salsa should be one of the major food groups...:) Goes well w margaritas on the rocks w salt.

Karl Laustrup
01-30-2005, 7:02 AM
I have my own salsa that I make, but I don't use a recipe. I got my inspiration from several recipes at this site: http://www.recipesouce.com/ . I use this all the time for all kinds of recipes, because it lets you mix and match between a lot of different ones in a catagory. If the above link doesn't work, try S.O.A.R. as a search on Google and then look for the one that has recipe souce.

Joe Mioux
01-30-2005, 7:51 AM
Hi Michael:
Even though you did not state it in your thread, I assume you will have a garden this year and pick your own tomatoes and peppers. I can give you a few recommendations for peppers and tomatoes that I prefer in my salsas.

Since you want mild, go with a Jalapa pepper, it is a very mild hot pepper and will give your salsa just a little zip. Also consider using Gypsy peppers, it is sort of a cross between a bannana and bell. Very good flavor. It also works well in salads. For green bell peppers, I still like Better Belle. It is a good blocky fruit that has a flat base which makes it ideal for stuffing.

Tomatoes....There isn't anything generally better than Big Beef. Great flavor, baseball sized, meaty, few seeds, crack and disease resistant.

Also try some of the Heirloom tomatoes. The absolute best one I ate last year was Rose. It has a pink look to it, but it is really good.

Also let the tomatoes ripen on the vine. That gives you a fuller flavor and less acid taste.

Dan Mages
01-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Have you tried fruit based salsas? The sweetness makes up for the lack of heat and compiments the heat in spicer mixes. Here are a couple that I keep around. They come from www.epicurious.com

GRILLED PEACH AND RED BELL PEPPER SALSA

A flavorful sauce for grilled lamb or chicken.

2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 large firm but ripe peaches (about 1 pound), halved, pitted

1 large red bell pepper, quartered, seeded
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Mix oil, basil, mint and garlic in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Lightly brush cut side of peaches with half of oil mixture.

Grill or broil peaches, cut side only, until light brown, watching closely to avoid burning, about 2 minutes. Cool peaches. Grill or broil pepper, peel side only, until charred, about 8 minutes. Place pepper in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel pepper. Cut peaches and pepper into 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer to medium bowl. Add vinegar and remaining half of oil mixture. Season salsa to taste with salt and pepper, toss gently to blend. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

PINEAPPLE-AVOCADO SALSA

Active time: 25 min Start to finish: 25 min

1 cup 1/4-inch-dice fresh pineapple
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 firm-ripe California avocado, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeño chile, including seeds
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Stir all ingredients together and season with salt.

Dan

Scott Parks
02-02-2005, 1:23 PM
Since were on the subject...

I love Mango Salsa.

Diced Mango
Minced Onion
Chopped Cilantro
Tablespoon of Olive Oil
Splash of Lime juice

Bueno! Goes excellent with grilled Salmon!

Steven Wilson
02-02-2005, 2:34 PM
To any of the above if you want to have some spice but very little heat take a jalapeno pepper and blister the skin over an open flame. Remove the skin, cut open and take out the seeds and membrane. You'll be left with a fairly mild jalapeno with lots of jalapeno flavor and little heat. Add that to the mixes above

Jeff Sudmeier
02-02-2005, 2:44 PM
Yeah, the only good salsas that aren't hot are the ones that are sweet. My aunt makes a mean rasberry salsa, don't knock it till you try it! Not too hot (less than medium, more than mild) but ohh is it good!