PDA

View Full Version : Color filling acrylic

Adrian Hill
04-04-2011, 8:32 AM
Nothing is ever simple for a beginner. Please humour me.

I've started color filling acrylic mirrors & coloured acrylics. I've run into 2 problems that you guys may be able to help me with.

1. When I engrave a mirror from the back there is always a bit of white left - I suppose it must be bits of melted acrylic. I run a second pass at a lower setting to reset the bits of material and this does seem to help -is there a trick to it?

2. I colour fill with acrylic but, if I first take the tape off then cleaning the acrylic becomes messy, if I leave the tape on the edge doesn't look very good - again, is there a trick?

I'm sure glad my motto already is :with it till it works. This philosophy has come in very handy with the laser :-)

Josh Richard
04-04-2011, 8:56 AM
I put just a small amount on my finger then rub it on to the engraved area (with no mask) then I take a small rag and buff off any remaining paint. I have learned the trick is that the paint won't stick to the smooth acrylic that has not been engraved.

Dan Hintz
04-04-2011, 9:56 AM
Adrian,

Try taking the beam out of focus about 1/16" rather than just trying to run at a lower power... spread the heat around to allow the acylic to remelt back onto itself, getting rid of the white.

Rodne Gold
04-04-2011, 4:31 PM
Use Extruded and not cast mirror , it lasers clear. On coloured acrylic use car duco paints and clean with meths not thinners , flood fill and wipe off the excess with a straight edged card , let dry and then clean with meths. Dont use solvent based paints/cleaners on clear acrylic , especially extruded as it's almost guaranteed to leave stress cracks.

Barb Macdonald
04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Okay, I have no idea what meths are. Please clarify?

Dan Hintz
04-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Okay, I have no idea what meths are. Please clarify?
Methylated spirits, aka DNA, aka denatured alcohol.

Richard Rumancik
04-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I think Rodne is referring to "methylated spirits" which are usually a blend of alcohols. There are lots of words used to describe alcohols; DNA is originally ethanol - if you add some methanol is is often called methylated spirits. But there are all kind of blends with different proportions of alcohols and water, and it changes from country to country. In Canada, you can get methyl hydrate at Home Depot which might be equivalent (enough) to what Rodne uses. Or you could try a paint store and ask for methanol or methylated spirits. (To those in warmer climates - in Canada we add a little methyl hydrate to our gas tanks in winter to keep any water droplets from freezing the gas line.)

Normal petroleum solvents are hard on acrylics. Another option might be naphtha (Coleman camp fuel). It is gentle on acrylic but I have not actually tried it to remove paint after paint filling.

Dee Gallo
04-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I avoid thinners altogether by using De-Solve-It, a waterless orange-based cleaner which dissolves solvent based paints, shellac and ink. If left on a minute, it will soften hardened paint enough to scrape off with a plastic razor blade in case you don't get to it right away. This brand is the only one I've found which does not discolor the plastics I use (vintage Bakelite, Catalin, etc.), so watch out for other orange-based cleaners, you need to test them on your substrate!

Since I might spend 5 hours a day color filling, it sure is nice to have no fumes to breathe all day. Keeps my brain decay to a minimum.

cheers, dee

Michael Hunter
04-05-2011, 4:18 PM
Methylated spirits, aka DNA, aka denatured alcohol.

It would be nice to clarify whether American "DNA" is the same as European "Mineralised Methylated Sprits" (Meths).

The official UK formula for "fully denatured" meths is as follows :

90% ethanol
9.5% methanol ("wood alcohol" or "wood naphtha")
0.5% pyridine (this is what is supposed to make it taste bitter and so undrinkable)
to this must be added -
trace of mineral naphtha (from petroleum) : 3.75 litres per 1000 litres of above mixture
trace of synthetic dye (methyl violet) : 1.5g per 1000 litres of above mixture

Anyone know what DNA has in it?

Chuck Stone
04-05-2011, 7:31 PM
I avoid thinners altogether by using De-Solve-It, a waterless orange-based cleaner which dissolves solvent based paints, shellac and ink.

Since I might spend 5 hours a day color filling, it sure is nice to have no fumes to breathe all day. Keeps my brain decay to a minimum.

ooo.. but I love DeSolveIt fumes! I clean the stovetop with it. Cuts any grease like mad, plus
the whole kitchen smells great when you're done.

Takes dried paint out of carpeting, too.. just don't let it get to the carpet backing. It'll
separate the backing from the nap. DAMHIKT!