PDA

View Full Version : Longest wait for a Grizzly backorder?

Douglas Clark
04-04-2011, 2:50 AM
I'm just curious about who's had to wait the longest for an item on backorder from Grizzly. I've had a 513x2b on order since Feb 15th which was supposed to arrive at Grizzly and go out around March 31st, which meant I'd have been receiving it sometime around now. However, upon calling this week I found that the new anticipated arrival date is mid/late June. Now, it hasn't even been two full months yet, so i don't want to be unreasonable but mid-June will make that a four month wait. In the meantime I've got projects I'd love to get started on and am rethinking the whole thing. Maybe I'll just go with a 555x which seems to be in stock... I dunno.

Now i want to be very careful about piling it on about Grizzly. It's not like they're the only company out there that has these types of challenges (anyone out there still waiting for an iPad 2?) and I'm sure that the positive review in the Fine Woodworking may be a contributing factor to this; which is good for them on one hand but creates challenges on the other.

Anyhow, how long a wait is normal/reasonable in this case?:confused:

Fred Belknap
04-04-2011, 8:52 AM
Maybe they are just covering their butt. I ordered a machine from them last Nov. and got an e-mail that it wouldn't be shipped till after Christmas. The first of Dec. I got another e-mail that it had shipped. They are about as good as any on shipping.

Paul Johnstone
04-04-2011, 9:42 AM
IMO, that's unreasonable wait. I'd buy a different bandsaw. Looks like the list for the Griz saw is about $1200 shipped. You can get a nice saw and not have to wait for that much $$.

Cary Falk
04-04-2011, 10:16 AM
I think that trophy goes to Jim O'Dell. I think he waited 2 years for his G1023rlx:D I'm sure it felt that long. The G0513x2B is a great saw I have the non brake version. I ordered a Jet lathe from my local Woodcraft during the 15% off sale about a month ago. I was told it woud be here in 3 weeks. I called last week and was told that id dropped shipped from Jet's wharehouse in Tenn? but it was lost in shipment. How you loose a 400# lathe is beyond me. They are shipping another. Everybody has their problems now and then.

John Hemenway
04-04-2011, 10:19 AM
I placed an order on 2/16. At the end of March I got a '30 day notice' basically saying they don't know when it will ship.

Gerald Senburn
04-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I tried to buy a milling machine from Grizzly last year. I place the order in late August, estimated delivery in "early October" (~six weeks). After multiple new shipping dates, I gave up in January. I see now that that particular machine isn't even listed on Grizzly's website anymore.

From my and other's experience, when Grizzly is in a backorder situation they really don't have any idea when it'll ship. If they say six weeks, it might be a couple days or many months.

Douglas Clark
04-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately they variety of responses here is what bums me out. That makes it sound like it's anyone's guess, including Grizzly's. I could even be more understanding if I knew this was an issue of the manufacturers shipment being held up in customs vs. It hasn't even left Taiwan. But customer service doesn't seem to be revealing that, if they even know.

I've started looking a bit at the Rikon 10-325 and a semi-local tool distributor in Atascadero has a new looking General that caught my eye during my last visit. Any folks have experience with either of those.

@ Cary - is "lose" code for, "it turns out the delivery driver was secretly a woodturner by night, apparently he got lathe envy and we haven't seen him since either!"?

BTW John - I got the same notice which is why i called them last week. When they said mid-june I almost swallowed my tongue.

Rod Sheridan
04-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Hi Douglas, sorry to hear about the waiting time for your saw.

I like General machinery, after all it's Canadian.

That said, it will be very expensive compared to the Rikon, probably 2 to 3 times as much.

I have a General International 17" bandsaw, which I've had for 6 or 7 years, and it works well. If i were in the market for a new machine of that size I would probably purchase the Hammer N4400.

Good luck on your saw hunting.......Regards, Rod.

Jim Rimmer
04-04-2011, 1:00 PM
I don't know anything about the saw you have on back order but I have the G0555X and it is a nice saw. You could probably add riser block and other after market items and still come in under $1200.

Maik Tobin
04-04-2011, 1:16 PM
I had a similar situation last fall. I ordered the 513X2B, only to find that it was on backorder then as well. I had done a lot of research, and decided to wait. I had been told that it would be available in early January and it was shipped to me the first of December. I am glad I waited....I love the saw.

It does, however, strike me as odd that as a fairly large seller of power equipment that they do not seem to have much info on production schedules. Particularly odd given the fact that there is a two week lag time (minimum) between production and arrival.

Mike Tekin
04-04-2011, 3:16 PM
Wow! Thats a long wait. When I inquired in Feb, they told me April and I didn't want to wait that long. I ended up getting another saw. I agree with Maik. That is extremely odd for them to have no idea when they are coming in. Finally, don't settle for a smaller saw - you will regret it if your initial intention was to get the 17" Grizzly.

Callan Campbell
04-04-2011, 3:40 PM
Douglas, I have the Rikon you're asking about. Others here, do too. It's rare you get a bad word about them. I really love my Rikon, and have no space to go with a larger model like an 18", no matter who makes it[basement shop space challenged! :rolleyes:] I don't know the Grizzly bandsaw you're having trouble with, but if the model is hot, and in demand, they may have a bit longer in the production time than they first thought. Great reviews can do that to many things today because no one wants to build-up inventory like they did in the past and then possibly get stuck sitting on it if it doesn't sell. So, things are run 'leaner' these days. Your choice on waiting for another month or two, or cancel order and try another make/model.

Shiraz Balolia
04-04-2011, 4:27 PM
Slower delivery dates and larger than expected demand sometimes play a role if some models being out of stock. I have made extensive postings in the past on the various reasons for slow delivery from factories, so I will spare you.

Here is some inventory information on 17" and 19 bandsaws that may be helpful:

G0513 - In stock at all three locations
G0513P - In stock at all three locations
G0513X2 - In stock at all three locations
G0513X2B - Some coming in soon, but more back orders than number coming in. Demand is high.

G0514X - In stock at all three locations
G0514X2 - Some in stock in MO, some arriving in 3 to 4 weeks in PA

This is as of today and the numbers do change daily. We are working on getting more accurate dates, but are at the mercy of the factories supplying that information to us. Another recent problem has been that the raw material has been going up so quickly that some wholesalers are refusing to sell it. If they wait another week or two to release the raw material it brings them more money! This even to their customers that have dealt with them for over 25 years. There is a lot more to this issue than meets the eye.

We have plenty of orders with the factories. This is an ongoing battle with many factories. We recently discontinued a milling machine becuase they could not deliver a P.O. from a year ago.

David Hostetler
04-04-2011, 4:43 PM
In the reverse of the OP's issue. I ordered by G0572 air cleaner in late August last year, like the 29th or so, and got an email from Grizzly telling me it was on backorder until the end of October. Bothersome, but not dreadful...

I had the box sitting at my doorstep on September 15th...

Sometimes I wonder if they send the right emails to the right people...

Douglas Clark
04-04-2011, 4:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies, Shiraz especially. Like I said in my original post, I didn't want this to be a dump on Grizzly thread. As it turns out, for a number of reasons, I went ahead and made the decision to change my order to the 555x, which should be here by weeks end. In reality It's probably a better fit for my shop size and skill level right now anyway. And if I outgrow it and am able to find more shop space I'll likely buy a second and much larger bandsaw in the future with a much larger resaw, then I'll have two! For now I'm happy with this decision and I'm still goin' Grizzly.

Shiraz, I'm sure these moments probably eat at you more than anyone but "C'est la vie" I suppose, right? Congrats on having so many saws with such good reviews. I would that God smote us all with such afflictions!

Shiraz Balolia
04-04-2011, 4:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies, Shiraz especially. Like I said in my original post, I didn't want this to be a dump on Grizzly thread. As it turns out, for a number of reasons, I went ahead and made the decision to change my order to the 555x, which should be here by weeks end. In reality It's probably a better fit for my shop size and skill level right now anyway. And if I outgrow it and am able to find more shop space I'll likely buy a second and much larger bandsaw in the future with a much larger resaw, then I'll have two! For now I'm happy with this decision and I'm still goin' Grizzly.

Shiraz, I'm sure these moments probably eat at you more than anyone but "C'est la vie" I suppose, right? Congrats on having so many saws with such good reviews. I would that God smote us all with such afflictions!

Douglas - thank you for your understanding and your business.

Myk Rian
04-04-2011, 5:18 PM
It also depends on when shipping containers get filled. If it isn't full, it sits.

Andy McCormick
04-04-2011, 6:40 PM
Maybe that earthquake is the delay.

Rick Moyer
04-04-2011, 7:48 PM

I only have the original version of the 0555 BS. I know you will like the 0555X. Your idea of two saws in the future is something I think about often, but haven't done it yet. I think if I didn't have a BS now and had $2000 to get one, I would probably get what I have, AND one of the 0513 or 0514 versions as well.

I don't know anything about the saw you have on back order but I have the G0555X and it is a nice saw. You could probably add riser block and other after market items and still come in under $1200.
I've looked over both of these at Grizzly and the 513 is really a much nicer saw, but it costs more too. I only have the 0555 saw and the 0555X is much nicer than mine (but it costs more too). See a pattern here?

Douglas Clark
04-04-2011, 7:55 PM
Andy - I your post was a bit humbling as I hadn't considered the effect of the earthquake. I don't know if it had much of an effect on Taiwan but I suppose if the worst thing I have to be concerned about is the arrival of a saw that I don't even need in order to make a living, then life is pretty good for me. I hope everyone gives that a thought as they are reminded of it.

David Kumm
06-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Old thread but recent experience. Had parts on backorder since January. Grizzly called while I was away so it was a week before I responded. They had cancelled my order so it had to be re ordered and of course shipping applied. I waited 6 months, they waited one week. I guess they knew they had me. Dave