PDA

View Full Version : Seeking online info re use of "euro" bandsaw blade guides

Frank Pellow
01-29-2005, 11:17 AM
The description of the use of the blade guides in the manual of my new bandsaw is very short and criptic.

I am attaching a picture of the upper guides.

I expect that somewhere on the web there is a good description about how to use guides like this and I hope that someone on Saw Mill Creek will point me to such a place.

Mike Wilkins
01-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Good morning Frank. These guides look exactly like the original guides that came on my Laguna LT18. I have since replaced them with the ceramic guides that Laguna offered after I purchased my machine. Possibly the same manufacturer of guides.
You may be able to go to the Laguna website and print a copy of the owners manual for the LT series of bandsaws.
They may even mail you a copy for just a phone call.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-29-2005, 11:54 AM
After fighting with these on my Mini Max 16 for a year here's my conclusion: First these guides work best on the larger blades and second they are a little crude in adjustment. My guides have a lot of play in them and that's what makes them feel crude to me. Maybe yours have less play in them which would be good.

First get the blade tension and tracking right then set the guides. It's the same procedure for upper/lower on mine. While pushing in on the guide ( holding it on the circumference) to remove the play I screw them in until it just touches the blade. Then I do the same for the other guides and thrust bearing. Minimax recommends that the side guides be slightly towed in at the front while looking at them from on top. So the front of the guides touches the blade first. You should be able to get them adjusted so you have good blade control. If the blade wanders too much you probably haven't adjusted the side guides tight enough.

Good luck with this. The Laguna ceramic blocks look better as far as blade control goes but I hear they are a little hard to adjust too.

Cheers,

Alan

Frank Pellow
01-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Good morning Frank. These guides look exactly like the original guides that came on my Laguna LT18. I have since replaced them with the ceramic guides that Laguna offered after I purchased my machine. Possibly the same manufacturer of guides.
You may be able to go to the Laguna website and print a copy of the owners manual for the LT series of bandsaws.
They may even mail you a copy for just a phone call.
Good luck and watch those fingers.
They are exactly the same, but I already checked the Laguana site and their manual now describes the ceramic guides. By the way, I have been able to use the Laguana manual (which is much better written than the one I got from ACM) for most of the other acepts of my saw.

Frank Pellow
01-29-2005, 1:32 PM
After fighting with these on my Mini Max 16 for a year here's my conclusion: First these guides work best on the larger blades and second they are a little crude in adjustment. My guides have a lot of play in them and that's what makes them feel crude to me. Maybe yours have less play in them which would be good.

First get the blade tension and tracking right then set the guides. It's the same procedure for upper/lower on mine. While pushing in on the guide ( holding it on the circumference) to remove the play I screw them in until it just touches the blade. Then I do the same for the other guides and thrust bearing. Minimax recommends that the side guides be slightly towed in at the front while looking at them from on top. So the front of the guides touches the blade first. You should be able to get them adjusted so you have good blade control. If the blade wanders too much you probably haven't adjusted the side guides tight enough.

Good luck with this. The Laguna ceramic blocks look better as far as blade control goes but I hear they are a little hard to adjust too.

Cheers,

Alan
Thanks Alan. I have downloaded the manual for the MiniMax 16 / 20 from their web site and it has a page or so on setting the guides (which do look much the same). I will try out thier instructions tomorrow.

nic obie
01-29-2005, 2:03 PM
Frank,

The Euro guides are only good for blades 1/4" and bigger. Minimax sells a adapter that allows you to use cool blocks. From looking at the pictures you posted it looks like they would fit your saw. They are the way to go if using narrow blades.

As to adjusting the Euro guides, I do it with the saw running. Run in each guide till it just starts to spin, then back it off a hair till the spinning stops. After you do this a few times you will find out that all 4 guides can be adjusted in a couple minutes or less.

My self, I like the Euro guides, I like the way no tools are needed for adjusting.

Frank Pellow
01-29-2005, 3:10 PM
Frank,

The Euro guides are only good for blades 1/4" and bigger. Minimax sells a adapter that allows you to use cool blocks. From looking at the pictures you posted it looks like they would fit your saw. They are the way to go if using narrow blades.

As to adjusting the Euro guides, I do it with the saw running. Run in each guide till it just starts to spin, then back it off a hair till the spinning stops. After you do this a few times you will find out that all 4 guides can be adjusted in a couple minutes or less.

My self, I like the Euro guides, I like the way no tools are needed for adjusting.
Thanks Nick :) , but I just can't see myself ever adjusting the guide with the saw running. :eek:

Alan Tolchinsky
01-29-2005, 5:49 PM
really dangerous. It makes that voice in my head talk to me. No, I'm not crazy; that voice that tells me I'm about to get hurt. :)

I'm not even sure if they would be adjusted correctly since the guides will start spinning upon contact with the blade. At that point there may be more play in the guide bearings and will not control the blade enough. I like to make sure to remove all the play in the bearings for better blade control.

Jim Becker
01-29-2005, 8:35 PM
Those guides are identical to the ones that came with my MM16. Literally. Adjust them close to the blade...some folks use a dollar bill as a spacer. The thrust bearing should be the same distance from the back of the blade. The disk should not engage the teeth of the blade, so they need to be moved back and forth as you switch blade sizes, etc. These guides are also not really good for blades below 1/4" in width. (MM sells Cool Blocks which should/may fit your saw for using narrow blades)

Your bottom guides may have a vertical adjustment...move them as close to the table as you can, but you may need to adjust this if you work with the table tilted.

Frank Pellow
01-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Those guides are identical to the ones that came with my MM16. Literally. Adjust them close to the blade...some folks use a dollar bill as a spacer. The thrust bearing should be the same distance from the back of the blade. The disk should not engage the teeth of the blade, so they need to be moved back and forth as you switch blade sizes, etc. These guides are also not really good for blades below 1/4" in width. (MM sells Cool Blocks which should/may fit your saw for using narrow blades)

Your bottom guides may have a vertical adjustment...move them as close to the table as you can, but you may need to adjust this if you work with the table tilted.
I thought that they looked similar -identical is even better. :) I will try things out tomorrow.