PDA

View Full Version : I've been Blue ....

Cathy Schaewe
04-03-2011, 9:29 PM
Haven't been able to turn much, but have managed to get the finish on this piece. A friend saw a pic of a blue HF I did a while back, and demanded a blue vase. I would have made the opening smaller, but she was clear she wanted to put 'stuff' (dried flowers and such) in it.
The straight-edge says there is still a curve about halfway down, but it sure doesn't look like it in the pics.

Thoughts and criticisms welcome -

Oops, 7 1/2" high, opening 3 ½”. Base 2 ½”. 4 ¼” at widest. Lacquer finish. Buffed with Don Pencil's PL compound and renwax.

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2011, 9:32 PM
WOW- this is very nice! Good form, excellent job on the color! Your friend is going to love this!

Dan Forman
04-03-2011, 10:02 PM
I like it, but think you could have left off the lip, had just an opening the same size as this one but like a southwest style form, and achieved the functionality while avoiding adding any additional width to the top that the lip brings. The most important thing though, is whether your customer is pleased, and I'll bet she is.

Dan

Steve Mawson
04-03-2011, 10:17 PM
I think I see the curve clear to the base. Color kind of grows on me, what king of wood to take the color so well?

David E Keller
04-03-2011, 10:35 PM
That's really striking, Cathy. I'll bet your friend loves it. I like the grain showing through the color... Looks like oak or ash?

Jim Burr
04-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Great shape Cathy and the blue is really a good blue color...not some well, sorta kinda maybe a little blue. I'm going with ash?

Baxter Smith
04-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Very nice! I have never tried a dyed piece but a color like this would be high on my list to try when I do.

Cathy Schaewe
04-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Yep, it's ash. Sorry about that. The color is transtint, a mix of 3-1 blue-black. I cut the ash last september. I was surprised it didn't warp, because I didn't rough it out - just turned it from a half log.

"WOW- this is very nice! Good form, excellent job on the color!"
coming from the dyemaster, that's much appreciated!

John Keeton
04-04-2011, 7:10 AM
Great color on this one, Cathy!! You must have mixed the dye really concentrated to get this much penetration in ash. Very nice! I think adding a little black helps both the blues and the reds when dying most projects.

Roger Chandler
04-04-2011, 7:19 AM
I think this is an exquisitely done vase, Cathy! You have captured a classic form for it, and then the coloration is just all icing on the cake.........I also like that you left the inside a natural color, it just sets off the color on the outside.

I think your friend is going to really love this piece! Thanks for showing it!

Michelle Rich
04-04-2011, 7:48 AM
If your demanding friend likes it, that's all that is really important. WOW that is deep blue..looks like pottery.

Michael James
04-04-2011, 9:49 AM
Nice piece! The monster is going to make these easier on you for sure. Love the blue pieces! ;)

John Hart
04-04-2011, 10:04 AM
OOOOH! Pretty!!! I really like this. :) I can see the curve just fine and the whole thing is just flat-out appealing.....in fact, it seems like the gentle curve is what makes the wide mouth work. And I love the color....And I love that the inside ain't.....I must have one. :)

Kathy Marshall
04-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Very nice piece Cathy! and I'm going to ditto everyone else and say I love the color!

Cathy Schaewe
04-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks to all for the comments. I love the look of natural wood, but that blue is really hypnotic.