PDA

View Full Version : High School Turning

Jeff Fagen
04-03-2011, 9:25 PM
My son came home the other day and said he had a Wood Tech project to do and could he use my lathe to do it.
Why I said sure,he said the class has 25 students and only one lathe.
He had a block glued up with walnut,cherry and maple wood and a plan!
Well I think I had as much fun coaching as he did the project.
He has never shown an interest in turning and repeated attempts to interest him had failed.
Well he acted pretty pleased with with his lidded goblet and I had fun too.:D

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2011, 9:30 PM
Hey - that is cool! He should be proud of it! Nice wood combination, really good joinery and nice proportions! Be sure to let him know - he did good!

Mike Wenman
04-03-2011, 9:56 PM
Very nice. Glad you both enjoyed this project.

Brian Effinger
04-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Good for you Dad. :) Just be careful - you might have to get a second lathe for yourself when the boy won't stop using yours. ;)

John Keeton
04-04-2011, 6:27 AM
Jeff, I think that is just great!! This might be the tipping point for him to get more interested in turning. Hope he brings up the subject again on his own. Great job on the goblet, too!

Roger Chandler
04-04-2011, 7:22 AM
Really cool.........in more ways than one! Nice work by him, and nice that you got some time together, Father and son.......my sons did not take interest in wood working, so I do it myself..............it would have meant a lot to me to have them share some shop time.

Jim Burr
04-04-2011, 7:56 AM
Really nice vase/goblet Jeff! Any idea of the size and finished used?

Jeff Fagen
04-04-2011, 7:27 PM
Jim,it is 7" tall and 2 3/4" outside with a shellac finish. Thanks for the comments.