PDA

View Full Version : Help with stanley typestudy

Thomas Laursen
04-03-2011, 9:24 PM
Hi everybody, I'm new here (but not to reading) and I need your help.
Yesterday I went to the local market, and very much to my surprise I found this no. 2. In my country wooden planes were the standard for many years, so when I see metal planes it is usually british made no. 4 or common block planes. For five years of rust hunting I think I have seen like 2 jack planes and 1 no. 6, so you can imagine how happy I am. This was really unexpected.

So my question to you is, what type is it?

I hope the pictures will tell all you need. If not I will take some more.
There aren't any patent dates on it anywhere. The lateral adjustment lever says just stanley, the lever cap has a B on it and on the frog there is a U.
I'm no expert in this, but I'm gonna guess that it's a type 8, based upon the pictures I found on RexMill.com, but i could be wrong. Can someone with more experience verify or clarify for me.

Not that it matters that much, because it's gonna be a user. I gave it a quick sharpening and it is in good condition, except from the broken tote and some pitting on the sole.
I'm just curious to know for some reason :)

Thomas

Stu Gillard
04-03-2011, 9:49 PM
This typing page leads me to a type 4
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/start_flowchart.php

Very nice in any case.

Greg Wease
04-03-2011, 10:26 PM
The Type studies are for the Bailey #4 and the #2 has a number of differences. The "B" casting mark would indicate a Type 8, no patent dates on the lateral indicate Type 9 or later and the logo on the blade is Type 10. Maybe you should just call it "early 1900's" and be very pleased with your find.

Thomas Laursen
04-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
It's true that it doesn't really fit into a specific type, so "early 1900's" it is.
I am very pleased with it. I already have it working and it's very nice, but there really isn't much space for your fingers.

Jim Koepke
04-04-2011, 1:56 PM
Thomas,

Welcome to the Creek and the slipper slope of planes and trying to figure out how old they are.

You didn't say how much the plane cost, but I would guess if it was what they sell for on ebay, you would likely have not bought it.

I think Patrick Leach commented about the #1 & #2 plane making being off in its own little world when it comes to the type studies.

As Greg said, you plane was probably made between 1900 - 1911.

I already have it working and it's very nice, but there really isn't much space for your fingers.

Good to hear it is making shavings for you. The grip is pretty small. My technique is to not try to have my fingers around the tote. Instead, the finger tips are mostly touching the frog. Maybe one or two fingers around the tote.

Here is a post of mine where the bench plane used is a #2:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?127826-Pencil-Boxes-For-Christmas

Enjoy your new gloat/toy.

jtk

Johnny Kleso
04-04-2011, 8:46 PM
No.2s dont follow the type study and its hard to type them..

Like Greg said the B casting mark and Blade mark would be what I use..
Be also add it may have had the blade replaced some its some place in between the two types is my guess..

Also Stu,
Type 5 was the first lateral lever so it must be a 5 or newer..

Thomas Laursen
04-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the info.

The dating you've done is more than sufficient for me. I just like to know a bit of history on my tools if it can be found.
It's very tempting for me to put the index finger on the side of the blade, but it will just make it slide, so that's no good. I'll have to get used to putting it on the frog instead.
Ebay prices is way out of my league. This one was a bargain.

And Johnny, nice webpage you got. I like it.

Thomas

Johnny Kleso
04-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks Thomas,
Wish I was feeling better to add some updates to the site..