PDA

View Full Version : Close one in the shop today

Ralph Lindberg
04-03-2011, 8:47 PM
TLOML (ie SWMBO) was out turning an awl. She has a very bad habit of just tossing her pony-tail from her back to her front. She stepped back to do something, flipped her hair to the front and leaned forward to start a cut on the awl.

When some of her hair caught in the Chuck and pulled a few strands out of her head. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbigeek.gif http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowuhoh.gif

She plans to sew up a clip system to tie her hair to the back of her turning jacket before she goes out again
:D

Tim Thiebaut
04-03-2011, 8:49 PM
Yikes, very glad she wasnt hurt, its the little things that can get us hurt.

Jeff Myroup
04-03-2011, 8:50 PM
Glad she is Ok. That could have been bad

Joe Pfeifer
04-03-2011, 8:51 PM
Good idea. I've seen some gruesome photos from an accident where a female got her hair caught in a multi-head drill press. Took her scalp off. Thing about though is that she wore her hair loose until the supervisor told her she had to put it in a pony tail for safety. If she would have had her hair loose, she would have lost some strands, but not the whole back of her scalp.

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2011, 8:54 PM
Glad it wasn't worse! I put my turning coat on over my ponytail - keeps it out of the way!

John Keeton
04-03-2011, 9:07 PM
Wow!! That was a close one! So glad she wasn't injured. I have a habit of wearing unbuttoned sleeves on an old shirt when I am in the shop. But, when I am turning, I make sure I button them.

Steve Vaughan
04-03-2011, 9:14 PM
YIKES! Man, that was close and could have been so terrible. Glad it turned out alright.

Cathy Schaewe
04-03-2011, 9:17 PM
Wow, that's scary. Glad she's okay.

Sid Matheny
04-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Scary for sure! I saw a guy back in the '70s get his hair hung in a metal lathe (60 hp) where I worked. Not a nice thing to see.

Sid

Dan Forman
04-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Sounds like a disaster narrowly averted - a wakeup call for sure.

Dan

mickey cassiba
04-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Very scary indeed! Glad it ended well. My wife has some hair drying towel things, that if made out of a lighter material would work out well for folks of the long haired persuasion. I'd be happy to post a pic or two if anyone's interested.

Pierce Davidson
04-04-2011, 8:53 PM
Glad she only lost a couple of hairs.

John Hart
04-04-2011, 9:00 PM
Holy smokes. That hurt to read it. Glad it was just a "warning"

David DeCristoforo
04-04-2011, 9:25 PM
One of my "favorite" "damn near" stories involves a high school shop teacher who was a family friend. One day he was going to a wedding and had turned a pair of goblets to give to the bride and groom. But he needed to put some finishing touches on one of them so he stopped by the shop on his way. Being in a hurry, he neglected to notice that his neck tie was hanging loose and before he could say "Oh crap", it was snagged by the spinning headstock drive. It yanked his face down against the spinning goblet and as the slack was drawn up, he literally began to strangle. As he explained it, what saved him was the skew chisel he had in his hand and which he used to sever the tie. I know this is true because I saw the burn marks on his neck from the tie and on his face from the wood. I do not know the ultimate fate of the goblet project but I do know that he was late for the wedding. Your Love is lucky to have lost only a bit of hair!!!

Ralph Lindberg
04-06-2011, 12:06 AM
She made the thingy added it to her turning jacket and tested it and couldn't get her hair to flip around !

Donny Lawson
04-06-2011, 6:32 AM
I'm glad it all turned out OK. I know sometimes its hard to think about when you want to get to turning but "Shop Safety" should always come first.