PDA

View Full Version : buying inkjet cartridges in bulk

Bob Weisner
01-29-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi:

Does anyone know if inkjet cartridges for a hp-5550 inkjet printer can be bought in bulk quantities? I just bought the twin pack and paid over $50.00 just for 2 inkjet cartridges.

Thanks,

Bob

Charles McKinley
01-29-2005, 7:17 PM
Hi Bob,

Does you printer have an econo-fast mode? If not I would replace it. A lot of the "free" printers that come with computers do not. I got about a year and a half out of my last black cartridge and I print a lot. I also use "print in gray scale" to save the color cartridge. I have a HP 722C. I bought it in 1998. It is the same technology HP is using now just slower.

To see if you have this when you go to print click on file, then click print. This will bring up the print box, click on the PROPERTIES button, this should take you to the set up box where you will find the econo-fast option if you have it. The features tap will allow you to print on both sides of the page. I use the book setting. The color tab will allow you to print in gray scale.

I just bought a refill kit when I choked on the price of a new cartridge. It was about $20 at Sam's club. It takes a bit of practice but it works well, I have only done the black cartridge so far. The black cartridge holds 42 ml of ink. I put in a little less than that. The first time I used it I way under filled the cartridge and it didn't last very long.

Ink cartridges can dry out so I wouldn't want to store them too long.

I hope you found this useful and saves you some money.

Chuck Wintle
01-29-2005, 7:23 PM
Hi:
Does anyone know if inkjet cartridges for a hp-5550 inkjet printer can be bought in bulk quantities? I just bought the twin pack and paid over $50.00 just for 2 inkjet cartridges.

Thanks,

Bob
I have had luck refilling black ink HP cartridges but not the color cartridges. If it works refilling them saves a lot of money.

Randy Meijer
01-30-2005, 1:46 PM
I bought a refill kit off eBay for about the price of one new cartridge. The kit will provide about 8 fills. You have to be a little careful; but it is not rocket science. I have read that the cartridges wear out.....mechanically.....after about ten refills but haven't pushed a cartridge that far. I do have one on its 4th refill and it was a remanufactured one so no telling how many actual refills it has. I have color and black and both have worked well for me!!! Be sure to put down a piece of scrap newspaper and have a few paper towels handy. The process can be messy if you have a spill or are careless.