PDA

View Full Version : Thought about turnin' some today, but.....

John Keeton
04-03-2011, 8:38 PM
...decided to get my "stuff" organized around the Jet. With the Delta, I was comfortable - had all my lighting set up, my magnifier, etc. But, since getting the Jet, it just wasn't "home" to me.

So, amidst enjoying the beautiful weather outside - near 80*!! - I arranged my "stuff" and used up some plywood scraps to build a drawer unit to sit on the ballast box. I will put all my chucks and other heavy stuff in these. That will add some more weight on top of the 275# already there, and free up a couple other drawers I was using under my outfeed table for the saw.

These are "construction grade", but, they work fine. They will get covered in drippings of shellac, banged up and filthy over time. I just didn't feel these needed handcut dovetails!!!:D

Got the task light and magnifier set up - even more convenient than they were before.

My new toolrests from Jeff Nicol are "en route" and should be here Tuesday!!!

Then, I will be ready to turn something!!!:)

David DeCristoforo
04-03-2011, 8:42 PM
Uhh... I don't think that dust pan is perfectly parallel to the wall...

Richard Kennedy UK
04-03-2011, 8:44 PM
Wow That is neat! I love the term plywood scraps they look like sweet drawers to me! Looks like you are pretty well set up I am looking forward to seeing some of the floor covered in woody bits (they are called shavings:p) soon! You have way too many brushes for the floor too:D

Tim Thiebaut
04-03-2011, 8:45 PM

LOL !!! That is the cleanest shop I have ever seen, but I love it and am very jealous! You have a great setup there John.

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2011, 8:46 PM
John - think about placing some of that spongy shelf liner stuff on top of the ballast box! Makes a great temporary place to put your tools while working at the lathe and the shelf liner secures the tools enough you don't have to worry about them rolling off and onto the floor.

Other than that... looks like you are ready to turn as soon as the new tool rests show up! Have fun!

Richard Jones
04-03-2011, 9:02 PM
I just cleaned up from roughing out about 40 BIG hackberry bowls and a few walnut NE's. Your picture is just sick........

Seriously, hope you enjoy that Jet as much as I've enjoyed mine. I had some blanks on mine in the last two weeks that were pushing 50 lbs, managed them well, even without ballast. I have a set of lockers that fit perfectly under mine, and they have some stuff in them, but not the weight of yours, for sure. Ditto the note about putting the mat on there, I have an old power line shield on mine.

Good looking stuff there, for sure. Looks like a good layout. Now get at it........

Rich

Thomas Canfield
04-03-2011, 9:04 PM
Is there a problem turning on the Jet tool rests? I used the one on the club lathe and it seemed to work OK. Does the one from Jeff work magic? Maybe I need to get one to go with my steady rest from Jeff. I hope you are keeping that Jet waxed. Inactivity is hard on machinery.

Jeff Fagen
04-03-2011, 9:08 PM
Way,way too clean!!

John Keeton
04-03-2011, 9:15 PM
Uhh... I don't think that dust pan is perfectly parallel to the wall...David, it is now!! I made a special trip back out to the shop to correct that!:rolleyes::D

John - think about placing some of that spongy shelf liner stuff on top of the ballast box! Makes a great temporary place to put your tools while working at the lathe and the shelf liner secures the tools enough you don't have to worry about them rolling off and onto the floor.

Other than that... looks like you are ready to turn as soon as the new tool rests show up! Have fun!Steve, had already though of that! One of the main reasons for the drawer unit was to raise the level up some for a tool shelf. I had a really nice area with the Delta homemade stand, and I miss that. There is about 1/2 a roll of shelf liner still in my stash - it will find a home there.

Is there a problem turning on the Jet tool rests? I used the one on the club lathe and it seemed to work OK. Does the one from Jeff work magic? Maybe I need to get one to go with my steady rest from Jeff. I hope you are keeping that Jet waxed. Inactivity is hard on machinery.Tom, I just hate the OEM toolrests that come on most lathes. The Delta was bad, and the Jet worse. Soft cast iron that is too large for me to do any type of delicate work. I will post some pics of Jeff's rests when I get them in. As well as the new steady he is sending!!;) Jeff made me a couple of rests for the Delta, and they make all the difference in the world as far as I am concerned!

Cathy Schaewe
04-03-2011, 9:16 PM
Hm. Maybe I need some ballast down there. (under the jet, I mean:eek:;)). It would help with the big pieces, but cleanup would be more difficult. Hm.

I think you're just procrastinating, myself. (Says the person who looked at her new monster all weekend, without setting it up.):p

Dan Forman
04-03-2011, 9:19 PM
Nice drawers, and like the lighting bar setup too. May have to borrow some ideas here...

Dan

Roger Chandler
04-03-2011, 9:34 PM
That looks just about like it oughta! Nice setup John...............isn't clean and organized great! Mind you, I get mine plenty dirty, just don't have the room to leave it that way, and besides.................................I like starting each project with a freshly cleaned and organized setup........then I don't have to hunt for a certain tool or a chuck key or what ever.

Looking forward to your next project off that Jet.

Gary Conklin
04-03-2011, 9:35 PM
John, looks great!!! I thought Jeff shut down the shop, no?

Cathy Schaewe
04-03-2011, 9:37 PM
I second the comment about those soft cast-iron rests - the ones Jeff makes are head and shoulders above the standard jet rests.

Wally Dickerman
04-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Okay, now that's my idea of a Studio. A shop is messy like mine. One very necessary item is missing...A good foam pad in front and at the end of the lathe to stand on.

When I saw the tool rack I thought...John has just got to get some more tools. Then I noticed the handle ends on the rack above. I don't see space for future tools though.

Cody Colston
04-03-2011, 10:10 PM
These are "construction grade", but, they work fine. They will get covered in drippings of shellac, banged up and filthy over time. I just didn't feel these needed handcut dovetails!!!:D

Your Blue Spruce chisels are gonna rust from un-use. :)

Nice set-up with the lathe.

Brian Effinger
04-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I've got to have you up to Buffalo one of these days so I can con you into doing the same thing with my shop. :D

So, when are you going to get rid of that fold-down f&%$-work table cluttering up the wall behind the lathe? You could get a good look at your forms with a nice, clean white wall back there. ;) :D

The shop is looking good, John. :)

Curt Fuller
04-03-2011, 10:17 PM
I've been gone for a little while. I guess sometime in there you must have moved up another notch with a new lathe. Looks like a beauty. Now get it dirty!

Greg Just
04-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Have you even used that new lathe yet? Looks too clean compared to mine which I got a week after you. Good looking set up. I might have to steal a few of your ideas. I agree that the Jet tool rest is too big.

Baxter Smith
04-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Nice looking lathe and setup. I would hate to mess it up. Luckily mine doesn't look like that... so I do!:)

Brian McInturff
04-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Hey John, how do you like that magnifier and does it come in as handy as it appears it would? I've been thinking of getting one, seems things look even more blurry lately when they are spinning:eek:.

Dick Wilson
04-04-2011, 12:05 AM
This is the most disappointing picture of your shop yet:(:(:( Do you use a ruler to fine tune tool placement. You must use one of those automatic floor sweeper that comes out of it's garage at night.

Wait a darn minute. On my second look at the picture I, I, I, I don't see any shavings on the broom!!!!!!!!!!! No way!!!! You don't clean that too? ROFLMAS

All ribbing aside, You have a very nice shop John.

John Keeton
04-04-2011, 6:46 AM
John, looks great!!! I thought Jeff shut down the shop, no?Gary, you have to get him down in the floor, twisting his arm - but, he will occasionally make some new toolrests!!:D

...A good foam pad in front and at the end of the lathe to stand on. Wally, I went with some of the grandkids to a horse riding establishment the other day, and noticed the "stable mats" would be perfect for that! I have that on my list to locate. They were amazing to stand on.

So, when are you going to get rid of that fold-down f&%$-work table cluttering up the wall behind the lathe? You could get a good look at your forms with a nice, clean white wall back there. ;) :DBrian, the drop down assembly table is covering up a picture window that is between the two areas of the shop. It was a "mis-sized" window from a previous home, and when I built the shop, I stuck it in there to provide a little light into the other area so I wouldn't have to turn on the lights in there when I needed to get something. Now, it provides a perfect protection to the window from the potential of flying wood!:eek: And, makes a nice base for the "light bar" that holds my lighting setup.

Hey John, how do you like that magnifier and does it come in as handy as it appears it would? I've been thinking of getting one, seems things look even more blurry lately when they are spinning:eek:.Brian, I couldn't turn detail work without the magnifier. I suppose one could use one of those drop down visor gadgets, but I kind of like this one. Works great for detail work and finials!

Roland Martin
04-04-2011, 7:11 AM
Can't catch a break can you John, hahaha! Very nice setup you've got there, bet you can't wait to make some shavings. I'm with you on the toolrest, the first week I had my lathe, I ended up with a nick in the middle of the rest, rendered it pretty useless. I since picked up a couple of Robusts, pretty much like Jeff makes, I believe, what a difference.

Michelle Rich
04-04-2011, 7:55 AM
How can one work in that mess?:eek::D

Jeff Nicol
04-04-2011, 8:47 AM
Is there a problem turning on the Jet tool rests? I used the one on the club lathe and it seemed to work OK. Does the one from Jeff work magic? Maybe I need to get one to go with my steady rest from Jeff. I hope you are keeping that Jet waxed. Inactivity is hard on machinery.

Tom, Of course there is majic in everything I make!! I just need to make one for myself to really be sure if it is true, you know the sayings the cobblers kids have no shoes and the carpenters house is never finished!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
04-04-2011, 8:53 AM
John, looks great!!! I thought Jeff shut down the shop, no?
Gary, John has been a major contributor to my world of tool making, I was finishing up the last of my orders and had a few pieces left over so I bent the rules for John! I plan on making some as I go along to try and build up an inventory or something along that route, but my bride added about 10 things to the honey do list yesterday! I am finishing up some other of my "Hobbies" I am mounting the pile of deer horns and finishing the european skull mounts that I have neglected to finish the metal working. Some of the horn owners are getting restless, and I don't want to anger my hunting buddies!

Like Gen. Macarthur said " I shall return"

Jeff

bob svoboda
04-04-2011, 9:16 AM
Shop looks great and almost ready for action, John. I've been toying with putting something on my ballast box and I think you may have shown me the way--thanks!

Bill Bolen
04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
John I think ofmyself as a pretty patient guy but you put me to shame. Afraid I would have had to atleast do a rough out on the second or third day. A fine looking set up you have working for you.

John Hart
04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
...These are "construction grade", but, they work fine. They will get covered in drippings of shellac, banged up and filthy over time. I just didn't feel these needed handcut dovetails!!!:D.....

Yes...from the looks of everything else, those nifty drawers will be just frightful with filth in no time. I just can't imagine the horror.

Sheesh...I clean my shop with a snow shovel...and that's just to get the big chunks out of the way.

But I do love your drawers down there!! ;)

....under the lathe. ;) :)

John Keeton
04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
You guys and gals are too much!! Bill Bolen, I did immediately turn a maple bowl on the new lathe. Hope to post some pics of that here in a day or two. Figured out very quickly - it just wasn't home yet. Gettin' there quickly, though.

Dennis Simmons
04-04-2011, 6:15 PM
You are correct Monk screwed up on this picture.

Dave Schweitzer
04-04-2011, 10:10 PM
That is way to clean.

Thomas Canfield
04-04-2011, 10:32 PM
John, Please tell us that you have at least spun something on it. I'd think that you would need to put a big chunk of out of round wood on it to check out your ballast box at least. I know that I had to spin something on my Powermatic as soon as possible to see how stable it was compared to the Jet 1236 it replaced.