PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1642

Bill Esposito
01-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Hi folks, I meant to post this here, but wasnt paying attention and posted it in the power tools forum. So since I cant move it I'm reposting.

That being said, can anyone talk me out of it? I'm going for the 2hp version. Yes I know about the PM3520a but one reason for the 1642 is the longer bed and the PM has the same size bed as my 1236.

Thanks
Bill

Jim Becker
01-29-2005, 10:26 AM
It's a really good machine and if you can deal with the smaller swing capacity over the bed, it should work out well for you. It also has the visible speed indicator that the PM3520a does not. You're doing a good thing by going with the 2hp, too...the extra power will be appreciated as you work your way up to bigger and heavier turnings. (My Stubby also has a 2hp motor)

Bill Esposito
01-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks Jim,

One thing I havent been able to find much on is the hole in the headstock spindle. I currently use a 3/8" lamp rod through the hole in my 1236 to connect my ez vacuum system up with. I was hoping that all I had to do was buy another rod and size the length to the 1642 spindle. Is this type of vac adapter usable on the 1642?

Jim Becker
01-29-2005, 10:52 AM
One thing I havent been able to find much on is the hole in the headstock spindle. I currently use a 3/8" lamp rod through the hole in my 1236 to connect my ez vacuum system up with. I was hoping that all I had to do was buy another rod and size the length to the 1642 spindle. Is this type of vac adapter usable on the 1642?
I would guess that the diameter of the rod will be fine as 3/8" is common for knock-out bars on many lathes. However, the length requirement might be different. The fellow I sold my EZ Adapter to (I used it with the OneWay I used to own but don't need it for the Stubby as the vacuum port is built in) had to get a different rod. They are cheap! ;)

Pat Salter
01-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Bill, SQEEZE the trigger, go gently, but go. Good luck and happy sawdust making! ;)

Ken Salisbury
01-29-2005, 2:55 PM
- - - -LOVE MINE - - - -